Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transitioning to Contracts

[QUOTE=Oso;775890]
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post

I think you're still getting the PL's mixed up. There are a lot of Wah Lum people in Pong Lai (K. Brazier, yu shan & 18elders here used to train WL)
    Nah you do PL now so that's what I consider you. I don't know enough about your other background to consider you otherwise
    Put up a big ass sign up.....

YOU CAN NOT STEP ON THE MAT TO TRAIN UNLESS ALL DUES ARE PAID AND CURRENT
    Ha yeah, that's just like the one at Sifu Saleem's place. Except his has a little Elmer Fudd looking guy with a sad face cuz he's turning out his empty pockets

Oso you got a nice website. I like the colors, somebody must be a fengshui expert

Lots of pics are nice. When my friends come to me about a school they found the thing they always comment on is the pics. If there is a lot, it gives em that much better an impression. When there isn't thats when they get clueless to an art and have to ask me lots of questions.

If I can comment, I'd like to see more stuff from the grappling class and adults class. Maybe if you can get an action shot or two from the adults sparring

All in all real nice. They say a pics worth a thousand words but when half those words are Chinese they are just that much more valuable.

How often do you meet up with Sifu Darryl D? I haven't seen him in a few years.

SoCo

Not sure if Matt knows Darryl (Orlando) very well. I think they might have met while training with Kevin Brazier.

"she hasnt gotten around to it"!? Some people show no respect, but you should not punish the kid over the idiot Mom.

I give my people up to the 15th of the month to come up with tuition, and believe it or not, I still have some tardiness.

One of my goals is to change up my gallery more often, and to put up some clips of students training. One of my students is a computer guru so I look forward to putting some stuff out there, web-site and youtube.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

You are a kind person Yu shan. The mother would act more quickly if the child is unhappy PSYCHOLOGICAL WARFARE.... hell I'll have the child come in and stand off to the side and have the other kids point and laugh...maybe a big red letter of some kind they could wear. j/k or am I

One of my goals is to change up my gallery more often, and to put up some clips of students training. One of my students is a computer guru so I look forward to putting some stuff out there, web-site and youtube.

Invest in a good video camera, web editing software, video editing software and make a deal with the student. Instead of it being a favor make it a barter. If it is a barter the need to finish it or have it done with expedience is usually higher. IMO

I have stone-aged equipment that is for sure. Couple of guys in class have the state of the art stuff, I will use your advice.

You got a point about the kid pitchin` a fit, I had a good laugh about making fun of the kid, could be tempting. That God I dont have a kids class... too much drama for me, and that is just from the friggen parents.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Notintheface View Post
    Put up a big ass sign up.....

YOU CAN NOT STEP ON THE MAT TO TRAIN UNLESS ALL DUES ARE PAID AND CURRENT

there isn't a sign but it's in the tuition agreement and on the invoices they all get every month.

She is a grown woman and she should know better. She does not consider you a priority because there is no repercussions to not paying on time. Add a late fee

there is one: $5 if not paid on time plus $1 a day. After this past month I've been thinking of upping it to the same range as a credit card would, like $25.

and the option of not allowing the child to participate if tuition is not on time. She has to see you as more than her kids teacher/babysitter. Show her that your school is more than a hang out and make her understand that it is a business.
    I hear you and this is where I get hung up, at least with kids...I actually don't have any kids that aren't serious about the kung fu....well, there is one but anyway...and in this instance both her kids are awesome...not necessarily in ability but they both work very hard in class and are totally stoked to be doing it.

I just don't have it in me to not let a kid come to class when they so want to but their parents are slackers.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

[QUOTE=SoCo KungFu;775919]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post

Nah you do PL now so that's what I consider you. I don't know enough about your other background to consider you otherwise

...a bit o hung gar, a bit o northern shaolin, a bit of southern shaolin, a bit o tai chi w/ some xingyi and bagua on the side...wrestling and some judo and jujitsu.

Ha yeah, that's just like the one at Sifu Saleem's place. Except his has a little Elmer Fudd looking guy with a sad face cuz he's turning out his empty pockets

Oso you got a nice website. I like the colors, somebody must be a fengshui expert

she's a great graphic designer. the mantis is a 3-D model she built from scratch.

Lots of pics are nice. When my friends come to me about a school they found the thing they always comment on is the pics. If there is a lot, it gives em that much better an impression. When there isn't thats when they get clueless to an art and have to ask me lots of questions.

If I can comment, I'd like to see more stuff from the grappling class and adults class. Maybe if you can get an action shot or two from the adults sparring

the grappling class is just a month old so not much to show yet.
    i've got some vids to post on youtube to distribute out, there's a couple there now but I haven't had them imbedded in the website yet

here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xiongfa

but, I am working on getting more vid and clips out asap. there will be a pic update in a week or two.

All in all real nice. They say a pics worth a thousand words but when half those words are Chinese they are just that much more valuable.

How often do you meet up with Sifu Darryl D? I haven't seen him in a few years.

I've just met Darryl at a seminar with K. Brazier last year, I think.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I hear you and this is where I get hung up, at least with kids...I actually don't have any kids that aren't serious about the kung fu....well, there is one but anyway...and in this instance both her kids are awesome...not necessarily in ability but they both work very hard in class and are totally stoked to be doing it.

I just don't have it in me to not let a kid come to class when they so want to but their parents are slackers.
    Methinks that case might be solved with a little bit of coordinated guilt-tripping of the parents. Get together with the kids and have them bring it up to their parents, coach them on some stuff about the rents' lackadaisical attitude ruining the chance for them to learn discipline and respect etc etc. Maybe augmented by a little pressure on the parents directly in terms of just saying how it is, that it's your business and you need to be paid to keep everything running.

Quote Originally Posted by n00854180t View Post
    Methinks that case might be solved with a little bit of coordinated guilt-tripping of the parents. Get together with the kids and have them bring it up to their parents, coach them on some stuff about the rents' lackadaisical attitude ruining the chance for them to learn discipline and respect etc etc.

uh,....no! that would make me no better than the parents.

Maybe augmented by a little pressure on the parents directly in terms of just saying how it is, that it's your business and you need to be paid to keep everything running.
    that's what i do.

uh,....no! that would make me no better than the parents.
    I thought you said they were slackers? That would just make you sneaky. *shrugs* I imagine the kids would do so without prompting if they had a good grip on how parents work. Besides, it's not as if it would be a dishonorable motive.
    that's what i do.

now you're trying to take this to a philosophical level

kids SHOULDN'T understand how bad their parents are while they are still kids. in this case there is a 10 year old and a 17 year old....if it were just the 17 year old I might go there but not with the 10 year old involved.

i'm a sap...the innocence of children should be preserved.

now you're trying to take this to a philosophical level
    Guilty.
    kids SHOULDN'T understand how bad their parents are while they are still kids.
    Hrm... I don't know, I mean, learning that sooner rather than late might be an excellent way to demonstrate the concept of *leverage* :P
    in this case there is a 10 year old and a 17 year old....if it were just the 17 year old I might go there but not with the 10 year old involved.

i'm a sap...the innocence of children should be preserved.
    Actually, I'd assumed they were significantly younger than that for some reason(say...5-10). *innocent* I'm actually of the opposite bent, kids should IMO be taught the harsh realities as early as possible so they can more effectively manipulate events in their favor. I imagine though, that the 17 yo at least probably already knows somewhat of how such things work.

Guilty.
    Hrm... I don't know, I mean, learning that sooner rather than late might be an excellent way to demonstrate the concept of *leverage* :P

could be but should someone else be the catalyst?

Actually, I'd assumed they were significantly younger than that for some reason(say...5-10). *innocent* I'm actually of the opposite bent, kids should IMO be taught the harsh realities as early as possible so they can more effectively manipulate events in their favor.

I could argue for that as well. But, I don't believe it's my place to facilitate it.

I imagine though, that the 17 yo at least probably already knows somewhat of how such things work.
    he's not ignorant of it but...well, the situation is unusual to say the least and I do feel that these kids participation in my school will be fundamental to them...becoming more 'self aware'...???... ... so, yea, I'm guilty of thinking that exposure to martial arts will help these kids be more capable of dealing with ________________. *edited for content*

could be but should someone else be the catalyst?
    Probably a good idea.
    I could argue for that as well. But, I don't believe it's my place to facilitate it.
    Indeed, angering the parents wouldn't benefit anyone. They'll learn it the same way everyone else does sooner or later anyway.
    he's not ignorant of it but...well, the situation is unusual to say the least and I do feel that these kids participation in my school will be fundament
    al to them...becoming more 'self aware'...???... ... so, yea, I'm guilty of thinking that exposure to martial arts will help these kids be more capable of dealing with ________________. *edited for content*
    If their tuition becomes a problem and you feel that not teaching them would indeed be detrimental, you could consider giving the elder a part time job to help cover things, I suppose. Though obviously that doesn't help much if you're having problems with keeping the school funded.

Probably a good idea.

hard to say positively though. fate vs. destiny and all that.

Indeed, angering the parents wouldn't benefit anyone. They'll learn it the same way everyone else does sooner or later anyway.

true.

If their tuition becomes a problem and you feel that not teaching them would indeed be detrimental, you could consider giving the elder a part time job to help cover things, I suppose. Though obviously that doesn't help much if you're having problems with keeping the school funded.
    no it doesn't help the bills.

but, as long as I'm teaching, I'll teach those that need to be taught no matter what.

some may see that as, well, I don't know what. But, I think that is a truth for teachers anywhere...be it a kung fu school, boxing gym, dance school...whatever.