Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Transitioning to Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    no it doesn't help the bills.

but, as long as I'm teaching, I'll teach those that need to be taught no matter what.

some may see that as, well, I don't know what. But, I think that is a truth for teachers anywhere...be it a kung fu school, boxing gym, dance school...whatever.
    Agreed. At the very least you'll be instilling these students with some virtue that will help them later in life. I think if they're inclined to help others out in the same way, and teach (be it kf or whatever) others without reservation, then it's all worth it.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Agreed.

Next question: Does anyone offer a couple of day trial before having people sign up for the annual membership?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I offer a free intro, and if I think the person needs it, I will offer a either a few more free classes, or a free week pass. I also have free week passes, which I pass out to my students to give to their friends.
    One more body on the floor doesn't cost you anything, and if it means signing them up, why not? The message it sends to the prospect is that you are NOT a McDojo/Kwoon, but more interested in THEIR well-being, rather than their MONEY.
    I have a personal approach when teaching my students, working hands on with them and making sure they are never feeling neglected, or simply another number. The worst thing is having a large class, with the guys in the back row, flopping around like flounders, with the teacher in the front,calling out orders. I have a senior in the front, while I walk around making spot corrections, making sure I hit each and every student. This is what "sells" them on the school and not a slick, fast talking,used car salesman approach.
    well, at least this is what feels rightto me. At the end of the day, when I look at my guys, and when I look in the mirror, I need to feel I am doing the right thing.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I offer a free intro, and if I think the person needs it, I will offer a either a few more free classes, or a free week pass. I also have free week passes, which I pass out to my students to give to their friends.
    One more body on the floor doesn't cost you anything, and if it means signing them up, why not? The message it sends to the prospect is that you are NOT a McDojo/Kwoon, but more interested in THEIR well-being, rather than their MONEY.

Check. I get that idea.

I used to do that but NEVER signed a student up of off a free intro. I Switched to an "Introductory Special" of $65 for the first month including uniform. My feeling is this gave them more time to get a feel for things, put them in the uniform (just pants and shirt) and wasn't asking for a hunk of change or a long term commitment.

I have a personal approach when teaching my students, working hands on with them and making sure they are never feeling neglected, or simply another number. The worst thing is having a large class, with the guys in the back row, flopping around like flounders, with the teacher in the front,calling out orders. I have a senior in the front, while I walk around making spot corrections, making sure I hit each and every student. This is what "sells" them on the school and not a slick, fast talking,used car salesman approach.

We don't have very large classes and our space would only hold 16-18 tops anyway. So, I'm usually mixing in with drills and such anyway. Each students definitely gets some personal input from me every class. Plus, I still spar with every single student I have.

well, at least this is what feels rightto me. At the end of the day, when I look at my guys, and when I look in the mirror, I need to feel I am doing the right thing.
    me too. up till now I haven't felt like contracts were the right thing. however, I keep getting the short end of the stick by people who won't follow through on verbal commitments.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"