Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: !953 Kung Fu Fight on Yutube

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Please don't invoke Wong yan Lam in your pathetic defense of this....

What's even funnier is your si gung originally talked trash about Lama Pai and about Wong yan Lam, then I guess you figured affiliation would make you seem tougher
    I posted those links for the history and information in them hoping Golden would read them and see that his comment was a little off the marker. Wong Lam was a legend and at one time used the roots of ours and your practice to get there. The politics you bring up I am going to ignore.

You say this match is so bad, well lets here your side? I can see many things that were right here for Tai Chi and crane.

Notice the probing feed that Ng fell for 3 times in a row then paid the price with a kick landing in his belly. Or how Ng triangled in on Fu right at the start landing the short uppercut jab busting his nose? When this video comes up none ever says, wow nice slam to the nose, they only make comments about 2 old drunkards flailing like girls when they see a volley of overhands.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

I will use your own post

Quote Originally Posted by HOKPAIWES View Post

The Pak Hok Pai I am fortunate enough to study comes from Chan Hak FU, Dr. George Long, Ron Dong, Dr. Garreth Smith then my Sifu Terry Wisenewski.
    your line doesn't even go to Wong Yan Lam! Why invoke him when he isn't even in your line....

do you NOT realize he isn't in your line?

The politics you bring up I am going to ignore.
    Yeah, let's ignore the fact taht Gareth talked a lot of smack and got called on it big time. McGee Kwan, the Leung brothers and Chan Hak Fu himself denounced him. Wong Ching in San Francisco was going to send a guy to find him.

Funny, you want to invoke Wong Yan Lam when it suits your purposes, and ignore the fact your si gung trashed him in a public magazine?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Regardless of the look of the fight. One thing we don't know is what the strikes felt like. We imagine that we would be tough, faster, stronger. etc. But its still an uncertainty. I was more disappointed in the wtc guy.

When I see this clip it reminds me of two things.

One, that people are commenting on one fight between two guys in a country of hundreds of millions as the epitemy of CMA for all time. Its sad really. Considering that, at the same time, others in the country would have killed them both.

Two, along with the above, this fight was between what would be considered here a grudge match at a high school between two local boys. It was a big deal to them. But it was made more by the coverage it received.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

Yeah, let's ignore the fact taht Gareth talked a lot of smack and got called on it big time. McGee Kwan, the Leung brothers and Chan Hak Fu himself denounced him. Wong Ching in San Francisco was going to send a guy to find him.
    Funny, you want to invoke Wong Yan Lam when it suits your purposes, and ignore the fact your si gung trashed him in a public magazine?

Right, it was Wong Lam Hoi, sorry I had confused him with Wong Yan Lum. They both trained under Lung, My mistake. By my comment on ignoring politics, what I mean by that is I just want to talk about the fight. You could have simply asked if I ment to include Lam Hoi rather than Yan Lum since it was obvious I had mixed the 2 up. It's not like people havne't made this type of mistake fumbling of names before. I don't have any direct involvment of comments or bad blood between others in the past, my slate is clean on these matters.

Here is the link that should have gone in with the others. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Lam-Hoi.
    Last edited by HOKPAIWES; 07-04-2007 at 10:56 PM.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Regardless of the look of the fight. One thing we don't know is what the strikes felt like. We imagine that we would be tough, faster, stronger. etc. But its still an uncertainty. I was more disappointed in the wtc guy.

When I see this clip it reminds me of two things.

One, that people are commenting on one fight between two guys in a country of hundreds of millions as the epitemy of CMA for all time. Its sad really. Considering that, at the same time, others in the country would have killed them both.

Two, along with the above, this fight was between what would be considered here a grudge match at a high school between two local boys. It was a big deal to them. But it was made more by the coverage it received.

These are good points you bring up and I agree. I just become frustrated over the endless battery of negative feedback it recieves. My intention here was to add some explanation to what was going on in the fight. I want people to understand that the swinging arms for example are real techniques and not just uncontroled "swinging arms" of some random hillbilly.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

I wasnt alive in 1953

What gets me most about this video, and the repeated circulation of it on the net, is the fact that most people will use this video as a comparison of todays TCMA folk. Which IMO is completely rediculous.

Yes, I agree that this fight is not the most dynamic and exciting, nor the best show of skill or technique. I also understand that this was taken a very long time ago, and in no way represents the modern man.

Practitioners of traditional styles have a great boom in their studies compared to people in the past, as well as any other martial practitioner. Modern state of mass communication, the collecting and sharing of information gives people today many tools to use in their pursuit of martial studies.

Many people who have studied traditional styles in the past and have since moved to other styles or modern methods often see that they are "no longer TMAists". IMO I dont believe this to be the case. I believe the adaption, accumulation to be a truthful extension of TMA. At the root core of the study of combat, integration and evolution are key elements to having a successful system in place for study, experimentation, utilization and passing of knowledge.

These are my thoughts on this video in regards to TMA
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

It is ok, there is a long history of us being pounded on all the time. It all started somewhere around here-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Yan-Lam

and then just kind of gets worse for us here-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lama_%28martial_art%29
    oh please

"my great great great great great granny was tough ergo we must all be amazing fighters and our system flawless"

get a clue

go train mma
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

There is still a direct way to test the validity of the many theories proposed about the 1954 fight. Anyone who wants to know about the skill of at least one of the contestants should look up Eddie Wu at www.wustyle.com and tell him what you think of his grandfather. Sifu Eddie learned from his grandfather from the age of six. That should settle it.

Quote Originally Posted by scholar View Post
    There is still a direct way to test the validity of the many theories proposed about the 1954 fight. Anyone who wants to know about the skill of at least one of the contestants should look up Eddie Wu at www.wustyle.com and tell him what you think of his grandfather. Sifu Eddie learned from his grandfather from the age of six. That should settle it.
    Judging by that web site, Wu Kung Yi was probably the last person to actually fight, so what is your point again?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I also understand that this was taken a very long time ago
    I would not say that 1953 is a very long time ago to put this fight into the context that because of its age there would be a less amount of fighters.

Karate, Thai, Western Boxing, Savate, Sambo, Catch Wrestling, and even more specific a bunch of Judoka were all banging it out back then in ways that actually had the merit to call it a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by scholar View Post
    How exactly would that settle it?

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    What gets me most about this video, and the repeated circulation of it on the net, is the fact that most people will use this video as a comparison of todays TCMA folk. Which IMO is completely rediculous.
    No... what that is a representation of how the "masters" fought in the "olden days".

A perfect example to point people towards who think previous generations were more of the "real deal" than those of today.

No... what that is a representation of how the "masters" fought in the "olden days".

Reply]
    Actually no, it's more of an early representation of the modern TCMA training platform. You would need video form pre 1928 fights to see what the "Olden Day" stuff was like. 1953 is too deep into the newer forms heavy teaching methods to count for that.

A perfect example to point people towards who think previous generations were more of the "real deal" than those of today.

Repoly]
    No, it's not because, as I stated above, China as a whole had already shifted to the heavy forms format by then, and had been slowly doing so for decades.

If you want to see the real thing, you would have to get footage from the big Letai fights prior to 1928. At least then the forms heavy schools had not gone fully mainstream at that point, and there were still plenty of real fight schools around.

Years ago that fight footage was used as part of a preview trailer & opening for a HK movie in which Chan Hakfu starred. I was in the Golden Harvest theater when it was shown, the audience was laughing histerically at the footage. No matter how you slice it, it was bad!
    Etiquette requires us to admire the human race.
    --Mark Twain

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
    --Mark Twain

Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant
    --Shaolinsky

...... Ron Dong, ......
    Hey isn't that what the Japanese business man accuse his wife after coming home early.

Hey you holding ron dong. That dong of another man. I want divorce.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.