Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: !953 Kung Fu Fight on Yutube

Heck, I'll put out for some quality training!
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Ah, the deny history and hope no one notices argument.......

There are tons of books of Tibetan history, do I need to cite them all? Tibet had a huge empire. Their mounter warriors are well documented. If you deny that all, you're just trolling

My student knew quite well what Karate or Hapkido looked like, and what he saw in the communities in Northern Inda was none of that. Kalari is from SOUTHERN INDIA.... quite removed from the Tibetan community in exile

I happen to like the Dalai Lama, but you realize he doesn't acknowledge the centuries of despotic rule, Tibetan slavery, Tibetan aggression (ie the empire) or anything that takes away from his current effort to win support for the Tibetan independence movement

Again, you can chose to keep your mind closed, but don't expect others to believe things just because you say so
    I'm denying nothing. And no, you don't need to site tons of history books, just the bits that indicate that Tibet has a tradition of martial arts all their own.

Im saying that this is not true. IN fact, the small retinuie of bodyguards that were in the potala on the behalf of the dalai lama before the invasion were equipped with 3 century old muslim armour.

I'm also saying that "Tibetan white crane", "Lions Roar" et al are Chinese martial arts and not Tibetan.

I don't mind you liking the Dalai Lama, but that's got nothing to do with anything, My own opinion of him is that he is not much of anything really. I suppose he's a peacful sort who enjoys getting carried around on pillows and the religion he spreads is cool despite his hypocritical position in it all as some sort of semi deity. Surely he must realize that this is the height of pompous ass hattery in the reality we all find ourselves in, but then, his reality is that he hides from the real world and that is the story of his life.

But that's neither here nor there, no one has made any connection with any side story, tid bit, anecdote or anything that will confirm that there is a longstanding martial tradition of codified martial arts in Tibet.

Nothing that even has the same amount of material as even the smallest and least robust system of martiality anywhere else.

And your friend still didn't see any sort of true tibetan martial arts because there aren't any and I don't think you can provide any source of information that is rock solid indicating otherwise.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Ok, I just found out Dr. Goldstein and myself share the same love for the art of bonsai and read some of the same bonsai forums. He actualy just placed some trees high in a N. America vs Europe contest. I will send him an email and see if he can offer any insight on Tibetan martial arts culture.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

How many academic level historic works discuss Chinese martial art? Does the literature on the boxer rebellion discuss in detail the TCMA tradition? Or just describe it superficially? Could it not be written off as a movement of religious fanatics the same way you want to acknowledge there were Tibetan warriors but somehow not Tibetan martial arts??

If Tibetan warriors were fighting with swords, knives and spears, conquering empires, where were they acquiring this skill?

The fact that the guards at Potala were wearing old armour doesn't discount they were trained warriors, straw men....

"A visit to the forbidden kingdom" was the name (roughly, it is in German) of the book. It describes a few Germans who entered Tibet approximately 1911....

You seem almost desperate to deny any Tibetan martial tradition, kind of pathological
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Here is a link to a solid (IMO) write up explaining the Chinese and Tibetan issue.

http://lionsroar.name/indo_tibetan_or_chinese.htm
    "Don't think,
    just train"

A good read

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    How many academic level historic works discuss Chinese martial art?
    Very few.

Writing about martial art(s) and martial artists was the equivalent of vocational suicide to Chinese historians and writers.

Read "Chinese Martial Arts Taining Manuals - A Historical Survey" by Brian Kennedy and Elizabeth Guo

-jo

Question Caveat Emptor

Quote Originally Posted by HOKPAIWES View Post
    Here is a link to a solid (IMO) write up explaining the Chinese and Tibetan issue.

http://lionsroar.name/indo_tibetan_or_chinese.htm
    Steve Richards???

CAVEAT EMPTOR.

-jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    Steve Richards???

CAVEAT EMPTOR.

-jo

I dunno, no more so than anything else your likely to read off the internet I guess.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

??????

Quote Originally Posted by HOKPAIWES View Post
    I dunno, no more so than anything else your likely to read off the internet I guess.
    So that makes what you read on his site the truth?

What do you know about Steve Richards?

-jo

jo

please email me at htowndragon@gmail.com

or shoot me a PM.

thanks!

-jason

jo

i can't reply to ur PM, please email me?