View Poll Results: Do you support the resolution as stated?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, let's block these **** politial threads.

16 69.57%
  • No, I like arguing about politics.

7 30.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Sign the Petition to Ban Political Threads

OT: Sign the Petition to Ban Political Threads

Whereas political threads are boring, annoying and get constantly bumped TTT.
    Whereas political threads often draw energy away from other, more entertaining, and more topical threads.
    Whereas political threads NEVER have ANYTHING to do with martial arts.

Be it resolved that we request the moderators of Kung Fu Magazine's Kung Fu Forum to block and lock all political threads as soon as they are formed.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Most political discussions on this forum.

Boring and for the most part poor soliloquies.

joy chaudhuri

grr i hate political threads lol. its all rant rant rant

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

i accidently the poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

To the top
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

But this is a political thread!

I espouse no political position in it. Nor has anyone else. What has been expressed is an overwhelming majority of respondents requesting that political threads be locked.
    Simon McNeil

You can't deny that this is a thread about political issues. You are even advocating political action. Therefore, this is a political thread. If you were successful in having political threads banned you would have to ban this thread, but that would mean that the discussion about banning political threads would not happen and political threads would not be banned!

You can't win!

Once political threads are banned this becomes a pointless thread. At that point it too can be banned.
    Simon McNeil

Bring out the banninator!!!!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

As much as I dislike political threads...

I say "No" to the ban.

If we ban political threads, people will still talk politics. What do we do then, if and when someone posts a political viewpoint to a "non-political" thread? Lock the thread because of a few posts? Five posts? 10 posts? Who decides the cutoff? Moreover, who is to decide what's political and what's not? To top it off, what about the politics within MA? People are talking about their MA's politics all the time. It's no less stupid than the other political threads, I agree, but it constitutes a good chunk of the threads here and in other forums.

"While I may not agree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

...remember that guy? He had a point.

Bottom line for me: Keep the political threads. At least then the rest of the threads run little risk of being hijacked. In terms of the political threads being TTTed, Maybe an MA politics forum would help, I don't know.

..No banning of content, though. Bad idea.

CSP
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Yeah, well Voltaire aside there are more appropriate venues for political discussion than the Kung Fu forum.
    Simon McNeil

martial arts politics are also still on the topic of martial arts.

G. W. Bush or the current election has nothing to do with martial arts.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Martial arts politics is a different matter.
    Simon McNeil

I fully support the idea of an OT forum.

Voltaire aside, I stand by the rest of my previous post.

CSP
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero