Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monk Fight

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    yah ramon dekker is a tough fighter, but lol his MMA fight was pretty telling on how MT is in the same boat that CMA is. NO GROUND GAME
    Yes, neither has a ground game but that's about as far as they go for "being in the same boat." MT is a functional fighting method whereas most CMA is not.

MT generates amazing power. Anyone who has trained with a good MT fighter will tell you that. its a no brainer
    Agreed. And anyone that looks at that monk-TKD exhibition can see they lack power.

The mechanical differences from MT to CMA in many cases are minimal, and allot of MT fighters are just adopting a western boxing approach to punching. Really its more of a ring strategy and timing difference.
    I think many in the CMA would like to believe the mechanical differences with MT are minimal, but the results tell us something different.

Once again, Terrence is correct.

That's an exhbition/demo, not a fight.

LOL at the "conclusions" being drawn here.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    That's an exhbition/demo, not a fight.
    Exactly... it is immediately clear to those who have fought before.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Exactly... it is immediately clear to those who have fought before.
    That's a load... There's all kinds of sparring that goes on in MA competitions..

You don't like it that's fine..

No, it wasn't a smash and bash fight--but I though it showed some interesting things... Instead of labeling everything posted around here for what it isn't, you know it is possible to look at what might be interesting about it, but I know it is hard for some to go outside their box.. This, as Liddel said, it's unusual to see a Monk doing this kind of thing and some of the moves were interesting.. And as I said from the longer clip, I saw, it did appear to be some kind of a tournament…. I know a meaningless waste of their time if so…

Not your cup of tea? Fine.. It's not mine either but that doesn't stop me from learning and absorbing what might be the smallest lesson contained therein...

Some comments also show me that some of the heavy hitters that hang around here making speeches don't have any familiarity with other kinds of sparring and fighting that goes on in other <less effective no doubt> MA circles..

No power? LMAO..

Any time you have an entire body mass spinning rapidly in the air there is quite a bit of power available in the extended kicking leg... Just need to get your head in the way of that foot to feel the power... WAJ..
    Last edited by YungChun; 07-11-2007 at 03:37 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    That's a load... There's all kinds of sparring that goes on in MA competitions..
    You are absolutely correct -- there are all kinds of sparring that goes on (even in MA competitions). And that's exactly the problem: most of it does not resemble fighting (i.e., is not realistic), so you get people believing what they are doing -- because, after all they are "sparring" -- is developing good fighting skills. But it is not. Like this crap. It is doing just the opposite; it's developing poor fighting skills. And that's because people who do these things are reinforcing poor fighting habits, poor mechanics, poor tactics, poor timing, etc. Put these guys in against a real fighter and it becomes immediately clear.

You don't like it that's fine..

No, it wasn't a smash and bash fight--but I though it showed some interesting things... Instead of labeling everything posted around here for what it isn't, you know it is possible to look at what might be interesting about it, but I know it is hard for some to go outside their box.. This, as Liddel said, it's unusual to see a Monk doing this kind of thing and some of the moves were interesting.. And as I said from the longer clip, I saw, it did appear to be some kind of a tournament…. I know a meaningless waste of their time if so…

Not your cup of tea? Fine.. It's not mine either but that doesn't stop me from learning and absorbing what might be the smallest lesson contained therein...
    What are the lessons to be learned from watching two guys with little in the way of real fightiing skills playing around? Well, it might help you if you too wanted to play around, but you can't derive anything useful about genuine fighting from nofighting.

Some comments also show me that some of the heavy hitters that hang around here making speeches don't have any familiarity with other kinds of sparring and fighting that goes on in other <less effective no doubt> MA circles..

No power? LMAO..

Any time you have an entire body mass spinning rapidly in the air there is quite a bit of power available in the extended kicking leg... Just need to get your head in the way of that foot to feel the power... WAJ..
    Punching with arm power alone will develop some power too. But it is night and day from the power you generate with good body mechanics.

This sort of demo is designed to "impress" those who don't know better.

It was a nice display of kicking skill,fancy kicking skill.
    Not a fight by any stretch of the imagination, perhaps the ref was there to make sure it didn't turn into a fight.
    Maybe it was a comparative view of TKD and WuShu kicking styles or maybe they were seeing who was gonna pick up the tab at the local brothel, whatever.

As for the Dekkers clip,
    Ramon is one uber-cool guy, like all most dutch fighters, they will fight at the drop of a hat and just love to train and will train with you and teach you anytime.
    Super nice guys.

Your right, im wrong terrence

They have sloppy kicks just like the ones in this clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvjvugJ2rFM
    Which obviously have no power behind them at all

The truth is terrence you have never fought a tdk fighter or you wouldnt make these stupid remarks

LOL !

I don't know of anyone who TRULY thinks that Top Level TKD guys don't kick as well as Top Level MT fighters, that's just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    Your right, im wrong terrence

They have sloppy kicks just like the ones in this clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvjvugJ2rFM
    Which obviously have no power behind them at all

The truth is terrence you have never fought a tdk fighter or you wouldnt make these stupid remarks
    I think he was remarking about the TKD fighter in the first clip, not all TKD fighters. There is a world of difference between the "monk clip" and the TKD KO video you linked above. The first clip is a work, while your clip showed full contact, full power, and full intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    I think he was remarking about the TKD fighter in the first clip, not all TKD fighters. There is a world of difference between the "monk clip" and the TKD KO video you linked above. The first clip is a work, while your clip showed full contact, full power, and full intent.
    Exactly.

And it boils down not to their "style" - that MT is "better" than TKD - but how a person trains. If your training revolves around "full contact, full power, and full intent" that comes across in everything you do.

The monk's name is Shi Di Yueng. He is the master of the eagle fist system, but was sparring using his viper techniques.

You can find the full video (or at least you used to be able to) at:

www.shaolinmonkery.com

The monk / TKD guy looked like they were doing a public demo type of sparring that was more centered on showing off their athleticism in kicking range than it was any kind of real altercation.

It was a back and forth chase and run exchange, whether there was a ref or not.

A lot of those monks are starting to get out more and do demos I think to raise publicity on their temples and training. I don't think any of them are training for MMA fights.

I don't know if I'd extrapolate from that video whether or not either of those guys could really mix it up or not. Some people that athletic can't put it together in real fighting rythym. Others can give people problems just due to their attributes - speed, athleticism.

On a similar note, here's a video of more traditional type of kicking similar to TKD in an MMA situation - Cung Le vs. Fryklund in his MMA debut. That's kind of a similar thing in more of a fighting based environment.

http://www.livevideo.com/video/6837E...d-4th-mma.aspx

What do you think of that?