Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KO By Sidekick !

KO By Sidekick !

Anyone watch IFL?

well i was watching it last night and caught Matt Horwich KOing i forget who, but with a sidekick.

I wish i had a clip.

But that is something you dont see very often.

a nice traditional kick utilized by an MMA figher and KOing in a match with it.

a blast
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

That's great. The side kick is an excellent technique that MMA fighters for the most part have not utilized but I believe will in the future. The problem with finding anyone using the side kick in MMA is that it is a kick that takes time to master and do proficiently so many fighters do not focus on it as much as say the round house, which is an easier kick to perform mechanics wise.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    That's great. The side kick is an excellent technique that MMA fighters for the most part have not utilized but I believe will in the future. The problem with finding anyone using the side kick in MMA is that it is a kick that takes time to master and do proficiently so many fighters do not focus on it as much as say the round house, which is an easier kick to perform mechanics wise.
    Good points. You have to learn to set it up and be quick about it. Quick in, quicker out so the opponent can't take your center. In mma I see way too many guys leaving their kicks hanging out there, allowing an opponent to turn it against them. I don't know much about mma training but it seems one area they are weak in.

MMA is weak in a lot of areas.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

MMA is weak in a lot of areas.
    ???

Care to explain?

the roundhouse is faster and in general, more powerful. Also, it being an arcing technique, the same level of precision is not required. the sidekick is slower and requires better timing - a great technique, but not necessarily the most effective in these situations. A teep is faster, which is why you see those more than the sidekick (in muay thai, at least - you don't see much of either in mma)

That being said, I disagree with what you say about mechanics.
    1. there are about 2349.26453 different ways of doing the kick
    2. each variation has it's intricacies - especially if you were taught to "hit twice" with the kick.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    ???

Care to explain?
    you know how RD is...

1. mechanically it is not advanced
    2. technique wise they are limited
    3. watching some of them, they look off balance and sloppy
    4. they don't shoot qi outta their arse.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Grappling generally takes precedent over striking in MMA and kicks are not focused on as much as boxing due to the threat of a take down with a poorly executed kick. Saying MMA is weak is a stupid gereralization, kind of like saying all Kung Fu guys are form prancers.

Individual>Training Methods>Style

Back to the side kick, done well it is a powerful kick and is used well by good kickboxers. Look at fight clips of Cung Le or footage of the late great Andy Hug to see what a side kick should look like.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Good points. You have to learn to set it up and be quick about it. Quick in, quicker out so the opponent can't take your center. In mma I see way too many guys leaving their kicks hanging out there, allowing an opponent to turn it against them. I don't know much about mma training but it seems one area they are weak in.
    right. And while you are doing that, the side kick is a CHAMBERING technique - you are bending your leg. If I happen to shoot in for a takedown while that leg is retracting (or if my timing is good enough before it extends) I can breathe on you and knock you down. that is the main reason you don't see a thai boxer chamber the teep kick, and may well be another reason why they don't use the side kick much. if a sidekick were prominent in mma, you would likely see an increase in takedowns. Not saying it's not a good kick - I use it a lot in standup only - it gives fits to our guys that have never seen or been taught the kick - but in mma... that's a different story.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    the roundhouse is faster and in general, more powerful. Also, it being an arcing technique, the same level of precision is not required. the sidekick is slower and requires better timing - a great technique, but not necessarily the most effective in these situations. A teep is faster, which is why you see those more than the sidekick (in muay thai, at least - you don't see much of either in mma)

That being said, I disagree with what you say about mechanics.
    1. there are about 2349.26453 different ways of doing the kick
    2. each variation has it's intricacies - especially if you were taught to "hit twice" with the kick.
    I definately agree on the different variations of the kick, but in my experience people tend to pick up on and learn the roundhouse kick ( I teach snapping and Thai style) quicker than the side kick. I think this also an individual thing, as person A may learner something quicker than person B.

Individual>Training Methods>Style
    training methods>individual>style

I would put it this way, but that's a different discussion...

And actually, if it were mma, I would put it this way:
    training methods>style>individual

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Good points, Seven. I think you will agree with me that training methods are more important than style. For example, if someone does point sparring in a certain style of karate and another does full contact style (such as Kyokushin) that most likely the individual doing the full contact sparring will be the better fighter. One could argue that they are both doing Karate, but the training methods are certainly different.

definitely. I think good training methods transcend pretty much all else.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Qi tends to come out of my arse when I have had to much fast food. When that happens I am the god of thunder and Odin himself runs to the heavens in fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    Qi tends to come out of my arse when I have had to much fast food. When that happens I am the god of thunder and Odin himself runs to the heavens in fear.
    We can feel your Chi from here !

**** mexican food !