Thread: Sidekick KO

Sidekick KO

Ok so I posted this in the MMA forum because the KO was in an MMA event, but I guess no one saw it but me....

IFL last night, I sat down just in time to see Matt Horwich KO someone with a sidekick.

Dunno but Ive never seen that before. Sure ive seen my share of KO's, but never from a side kick, and in an MMA event no less.

straight took it old school
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

A few years ago I almost got KO'ed from a sidekick to the stomach. The guy I was sparring landed a solid kick that took all the air out, and I started to black out and droop to the ground.

Using my mystical kung-fu powers I recovered, remembered my secret trainings, and destroyed him.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    a side kick can have a lot of power, it's just generally slower and therefore, lower percentage.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Speed can be compensated by good timing. A lesson I'm learning as I slow down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I had a wudang monk from china side kick eye level to me and i barely saw it. it's so fast. the thing came 2 inches from my face and he didnt even lean over. san da guy i know in china can do that too.

people under rate the side kick i think. i see a lot of round house kicks in mma. they are good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    I had a wudang monk from china side kick eye level to me and i barely saw it. it's so fast. the thing came 2 inches from my face and he didnt even lean over. san da guy i know in china can do that too.

people under rate the side kick i think. i see a lot of round house kicks in mma. they are good too.
    the roundhouse is faster and in general, more powerful. Also, it being an arcing technique, the same level of precision is not required. the sidekick is slower and requires better timing - a great technique, but not necessarily the most effective in these situations. A teep is faster, which is why you see those more than the sidekick (in muay thai, at least - you don't see much of either in mma)
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

If people trained their side kick as much as their round kick, they could use it just as well, in the RIGHT circumstance.

My old TKD instructor could hit you ( anyone really) with it any time he wanted.
    Of course I used to see him spend 40 min on the bag and mitts doing it.

I think sidekick thrown by someone who trains sidekick can be quite
    effective and devastating. In my prolly unqualified OPINION, i think sides
    can be more powerful than rounds and are harder to block well executed ones.
    Bruce Lee had a mean sidekick that he seemed to favor over other kicks.

sidekicks and roundhouse kicks can both be effective. it seems the side kick takes more training to get better and fast because of the body mechanics involved.

i like both. both are great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I used to throw sidekicks offensively a lot.

Great for just pushing an opponent back if it isn't clean - if it is...well...I wasn't kidding about almost blacking out.

Recently I started talking to one of the higher ranking students in my class, because I love the way he fights. He explained that he rarely ever threw a sidekick offensively, and mainly used it as a defense when someone was coming in/striking/etc.

This seems to work for him, too. That being said, I've seen it work both ways. Sometimes I feel its underrated . One of my favorite kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by PaiLumDreamer View Post
    I used to throw sidekicks offensively a lot.

Great for just pushing an opponent back if it isn't clean - if it is...well...I wasn't kidding about almost blacking out.

Recently I started talking to one of the higher ranking students in my class, because I love the way he fights. He explained that he rarely ever threw a sidekick offensively, and mainly used it as a defense when someone was coming in/striking/etc.

This seems to work for him, too. That being said, I've seen it work both ways. Sometimes I feel its underrated . One of my favorite kicks.
    I use them defensively also in the same manner I use my teep - they stop an advancing opponent.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by jow yeroc View Post
    I think sidekick thrown by someone who trains sidekick can be quite
    effective and devastating. In my prolly unqualified OPINION, i think sides
    can be more powerful than rounds and are harder to block well executed ones.
    Bruce Lee had a mean sidekick that he seemed to favor over other kicks.
    they are harder to block, but due to the design of the roundhouse, it can build much more momentum, adding the extra power.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Sidekicks and inside crescents are my bread and butter when it comes to kicks.

I fancy a nice saber (roundhouse) and I love me some check kicks, but I like to use my side and crescents as offensivly as I can.

If you time it just right an inside crescent is a great feignt for a side kick. IMO, all be it a risky one

its just so rare that you actually see a KO from a side kick

If you watch the fight, the kick wasnt as pretty as you would like to see, but it was thrown mid range, and it looked like Matt just kind of threw it without thinking. IMO thats how he got it to KO dude. It just threw itself, makes you wonder if he has been practicing it more or if its just something that came out at the right time.

Though if you watch Matt fight, he lets the zone reach him pretty quick and he seems to have a lot of fun fighting. Hes a real natural, one of my favorite fighters in the IFL, and he represents my home town so....
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Side kick

There was an old 60 s tournament full contact MA arts. I forget some of the well known fighters .I think Bo White( Enter the Dragon) also the fellow from the same movie The bad guy with the razors hands and others. It was b and W on tv. round robyn style and no fight went longer than 1 minute, as do real fights . To watch Joe Lewis bust a guys ribs with 1 side kick unbelivably effective . Well I wish some one knows how to get a hold of it.. It was about using distance. Remember? The most important factor! Guys in MMA dont use distance very well.. compare if you can geta hold of it.. most All fights about 5 in all, ended with busted bones..