Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dana White

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    sounds like Dana's bodyguards might be earning their money for real.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Dana

He's always been very opinionated about a lot of things. It's good he still has a sense of good business practices and ethics.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

wtf!?!

I was channel surfing last night and what do I see?

NBC's 'Momma's Boys' gets interesting: UFC's Dana White and Tyler Florence booked

Bet Seacrest's mom is a tough customer too... - Ryan Seacrest - 2nd Anniversary of

Bet Seacrest's mom is a tough customer too... - Ryan Seacrest - 2nd Anniversary of "Radio Lollipop" with KIIS FM & CHOC - Childerens Hospital of Orange County, CA - Orange, CA © Dean Kirkland / PR Photos

By April MacIntyre Dec 8, 2008, 20:03 GMT

With this bit of news, now I am really intrigued to see where Ryan Seacrest's new reality show is going.

UFC president Dana White and Tyler Florence, chef and star of the Food Network, are booked to guest-star on NBC's new dating series "Momma's Boys" (December 16 premiere).

The show is "girlfriend vs guy's Mother" premise, as three overly loving mothers help their complacent (lazy) sons choose the perfect woman.

By the way, there is no such thing, right?

White will guest-star in the series' two-hour second episode on Monday, December 22 (9-11 p.m.) and Florence will guest star in the third episode airing Monday, December 29 (10-11 p.m. ET).

NBC sent over the future episode descriptions.

MOMMA'S BOYS
    MONDAY, DECEMBER 22 (9-11 p.m. ET)
    In the aftermath of the women's face-off with Mrs. Bojanowski, they must now take on their first suitability challenge. White and some of the UFC's top trainers and fighters put the 32 women through a demanding physical challenge as the Moms look on to determine which of the young women are the best mates for their sons. The competition is fierce and the four women who win the challenge are exempt from the boys' first elimination.
    Unfortunately, I just caught the very end of the segment so I didn't see the training. That's got to be the stupidest show of the new season.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks Gene

Good interview. Thanks for posting it Gene.

Dana White speaks his mind, and is blunt as hell. I think he's done a great job turning the UFC from a bunch of semi-organized street brawls, into a genuine sport with true athletes. To compare him to Don King is inaccurate IMO. It should be obvious that Dana has integrity, a quality Don King is devoid of. I'm interested to see how long Mr. White's "my way or the highway" attitude lasts as the amount of money the UFC generates continues to grow. I think anyone who invests as much of themselves and their own money into something deserves whatever success comes their way. Now if Dana could just get a fighter from Kentucky who doesn't perpetuate the "drunken redneck" stereotype. Word is Junie's BS was planned, but d*mn dude...you couldn't have found a better way to get attention. lol
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

The UFC was purchased by the brothers, not Dana. Dana was just the guy who approached the brothers advising that it [the purchase of the almost defunct UFC] would be a good investment. He didn't produce the capital. As a byproduct, he owns 10% of the franchise and the 90% goes to the brothers.

He's the face of the UFC...and is making a lot of money. I think that he is a ***** in terms of how he treats some of the fighters, but at the same time some of the fighters are thinking they're worth more than they are. It's hard to know what happens behind the scenes with all the he said-he said bull****.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Bigger than NFL

Dana always has interesting take on things....
    Dana White talks 2020
    UFC president looks ahead to another decade of growth for mixed martial arts
    By Brett Okamoto (contact)
    Sunday, Dec. 27, 2009 | 4:03 p.m.

The following was pulled from comments made by UFC president Dana White during a conversation with the Las Vegas Sun.

This last year was a big one for mixed martial arts.

The sport was just sanctioned in Massachusetts and Vancouver. We’re going to get it done in Ontario in New York in 2010. We’re working on taking the UFC global. We’ve already done Germany, England and Ireland and we just sold 22,000 seats for an event in Australia in 15 minutes.

That said: Las Vegas is the Mecca for fighting.

Between the UFC and our sister company the WEC, the economic impact fighting has in Las Vegas is astronomical. And I’m from here. I lived in Boston for awhile, I love it too, but the reality is I’m from Las Vegas.

Every time I walk through the back of the MGM Grand or Mandalay Bay, valet parkers and waiters will stop me and say, ‘Dana, thank you for bringing the event here this weekend.’ That’s when these guys make their money. We bring a lot of people into town for these events and we bring them regularly.

People were saying I was a lunatic 10 years ago, but this thing is going to be the biggest sport in the world. The stuff we’re working on right now on so many levels is mindboggling.

The reason I say that is, think about this. Right now in the United States, there is nothing bigger than the NFL. It is huge. But the NFL has been spending billions of dollars trying to break into other countries and it’s not working. You know why? Because these people in other countries don’t care about American football. They didn’t grow up playing it and they’re not invested in American teams.

I take two guys and put them in an octagon and they can use any martial art they want — that transcends all culture barriers. Right now we are on some form of television in over 175 countries. We’re all human beings and we all get fighting.

The UFC will be on network television by 2020, but we’re not going to go out and do a stupid deal because we don’t need them. We built this thing without help from anybody and that’s why the UFC has been able to flourish even in these hard times.

The greatest challenge is time. There’s not enough time in the day to do all the things we need to do. That’s basically the toughest part. And throwing more bodies at it isn’t the answer. Me and Lorenzo Fertitta will sit down and figure out a game plan for the next 10 years and we’ll execute it.

Moving forward, the Fertittas have already shown they’re willing to put their money where their mouth is. When we were about $20 million in the hole, Lorenzo called me one day and said he couldn’t do it anymore. He told me to get on the street and figure out what we could get for this thing. I called him back that night and said somewhere in between $4 million and $7 million dollars. He called me back the next day and had changed his mind and wanted to keep going. The Fertittas believed in this thing, they put money into it and, when things went bad, they put more money into it.

Is 2020 enough time to make this the biggest sport in the world? Yeah. Hell yeah.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

what a crock of sh!t...

Dana at Oxford

I would enjoy hearing his address there.
    August 31, 2010, 11:31 am
    This House Has No Confidence in Her Majesty’s Jujitsu Skills: U.F.C. Coming to the Oxford Union
    By DAVE ITZKOFF

Just when things were starting to quiet down on the drama-ridden campus of Oxford University, that august institution has opened the door to more knuckle-bruising, eyebrow-lacerating, face-contusing conflict – and this time, on purpose.

After the bitterly fought contest for its professor of poetry seat, and the appointment of Trevor Nunn to a visiting professorship that bears the name of his colleague-turned-nemesis Cameron Mackintosh, Oxford is now bracing itself for a visit from Dana White, the president of Ultimate Fighting Championship, who has been invited to address the Oxford Union Society in the fall.

Mr. White, the 41-year-old athlete and entrepreneur who has helped guide U.F.C. from sideshow status to a mainstream, internationally televised mixed martial arts competition, has been asked to speak to the Oxford Union on Oct. 13.

Assuming you’ve misplaced your British history books beneath your piles of gauze and antiseptic, the Oxford Union is the 187-year-old debating society whose alumni include former British prime ministers like William Ewart Gladstone and Edward Heath, Boris Johnson, the mayor of London, and Benazir Bhutto, the former prime minister of Pakistan. A variety of speakers have addressed the union, including the Dalai Lama and Mother Teresa, as well as Jon Bon Jovi and Kermit the Frog, none of whom were previously associated with an octagonal fighting ring.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Do you wanna be a f'ing scholar???????

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    The UFC was purchased by the brothers, not Dana. Dana was just the guy who approached the brothers advising that it [the purchase of the almost defunct UFC] would be a good investment. He didn't produce the capital. As a byproduct, he owns 10% of the franchise and the 90% goes to the brothers.

He's the face of the UFC...and is making a lot of money. I think that he is a ***** in terms of how he treats some of the fighters, but at the same time some of the fighters are thinking they're worth more than they are. It's hard to know what happens behind the scenes with all the he said-he said bull****.
    True. And while he may be abrasive and cocky, White took a company involved in a fringe sport and drowning in red ink and under his guidance the company is making 10s of millions of dollars in profit per year and MMA is now a mainstream sport.

True.

But he's waaay too much of a control freak. Kinda reminds me of the George Steinbrenner from 35 years ago: puts out a good product - but treats a lot of people like 5hit in the process.

He needs to back off all the over-the-top egotistical controls and sign Fedor, Werdum, and Barnett.

Now add Lesnar, Cain, Carwin, and Velasquez to the mix and you could have a heavyweight division that would sizzle with awesome main events for the next 5-6-7 years.

Alot more interesting than seeing yet another Ortiz/Shamrock matchup, don't ya' think?
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 09-03-2010 at 08:13 PM.

its the whole exclusivity thing thats the problem... not being able to fight outside of the organization... if it doesnt change, in the future there will always be arguments about whos the best champion becoz their will be like 7 champions and no chance of unification matches...

is that fedors issue? being controlled? or is it about money???
    i dunno why barnett isnt there right now either... he should be... i know he speaks his mind about dana white, maybe thats why? i havent read anything recent about barnett... i always liked him... was he under contract with pride when it went over to zuffa?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    its the whole exclusivity thing thats the problem... not being able to fight outside of the organization... if it doesnt change, in the future there will always be arguments about whos the best champion becoz their will be like 7 champions and no chance of unification matches...

is that fedors issue? being controlled? or is it about money???
    i dunno why barnett isnt there right now either... he should be... i know he speaks his mind about dana white, maybe thats why? i havent read anything recent about barnett... i always liked him... was he under contract with pride when it went over to zuffa?
    It wont be a major problem, UFCs so dominant that apart from Fedor no one else could really claim to be the No1 in their weight catagory outside of the UFC, and you can understand why from a busniess point of view, UFC is the biggest org why risk one of their stars losing outside the UFC when in reality they can make just as much money keeping things in house

barnetts not there because of the slight issue of PEDs

Fedors issue was money, control and Dana being well Dana (ie a pri*k) he insults fighters who arent under his org then trys to land them a few months later, works with most of them but Fedor told him to stuff it...

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    It wont be a major problem, UFCs so dominant that apart from Fedor no one else could really claim to be the No1 in their weight catagory outside of the UFC, and you can understand why from a busniess point of view, UFC is the biggest org why risk one of their stars losing outside the UFC when in reality they can make just as much money keeping things in house

barnetts not there because of the slight issue of PEDs

Fedors issue was money, control and Dana being well Dana (ie a pri*k) he insults fighters who arent under his org then trys to land them a few months later, works with most of them but Fedor told him to stuff it...
    oh thats right... i forgot about the barnett ped thing... that was awhile ago now, lots of people scored poisitive and went back... melvin guillard comes to mind... im sure there are tons, it doesnt exactly make the front page... unless its some superstar it can slide under the radar for the most part... esspecially since its so common... for all sports...

cant blame white for his methods... its working out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    oh thats right... i forgot about the barnett ped thing... that was awhile ago now, lots of people scored poisitive and went back... melvin guillard comes to mind... im sure there are tons, it doesnt exactly make the front page... unless its some superstar it can slide under the radar for the most part... esspecially since its so common... for all sports...

cant blame white for his methods... its working out for him...
    if i remember rightly he failed twice, once years ago and once again a year or so ago just before the fedor fight.... add to that hes not that popular or well known in the USA (spent years in japan) why bother with him?