Page 265 of 276 FirstFirst ... 165215255263264265266267275 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,975 of 4131

Thread: An Epic of Internet-challenge Stupidity

He specifically said "Thats what you get for taking it to the ground".

He said it as Chambers was still down right after the Marine finished with him.

The other stuff happened later after the camera cut to the next scene.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 10-03-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    I dont base my techniques and skillsets for the ring, for me personally i do not want to get into a false sense of security by just training for a match.
    There's the mindset that is the reason for MMA/BJJ guys thinking of you with disdain. A false sense of security by just training for the ring? Give me a friggin' break.

The ring has rules, and training for that does not account for all the variables that are intentionally kept out of ring fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Contact was almost outlawed in kung fu schools due to frivolous lawsuits. Full conatct was replaced in many cases by point fighting.

Reply]
    Can you site these law suites? Or was it more "Fear of litigation"

As for the tournies, I can remember we used to have Kou Shou here every year...now it's gone and I would have to travel out of state to fight in one.

SO I think you are dealing more with perception than anything.

And if that stuff actually *IS* bigger now, it has nothing to do with MMA. It's becasue it's growing on it's own accord.
    Your PERCEPTION.
    It was SO popular you had to travel out of state. Thanks.

Yes, there were many lawsuits. Yes, their was also fear of litigation. Search the net, pick up Martial Arts business magazines from the 80's and 90's, track the marked increase in insurance rates for martial arts businesses, that wasn't caused by inflation.

He said it as Chambers was still down right after the Marine finished with him.

The other stuff happened later after the camera cut to the next scene.
    Take it to the ground, remain standing... doesn't matter. If you don't have knife awarenss and understanding of how to defend, you'll get gutted either way.

Taking the fight to the ground can be a big advantage if you have understanding and training in dealing with close quarter weapons. The ground gives you more options both in terms of control of a deployed weapon, as well as prevention of weapon deployment. Knowing how to use the advantage of the ground can be the difference between getting stabbed to death and surviving an edged weapon attack.

Your PERCEPTION.

Reply]
    NO!!! I have to go out of state NOW. Back then it was held in Chicago 30 minutes from where I lived. So from here, there is less than before.

I figured you would decline. According to you these 'grapelers' are easy to deal with. Bet ya don't even break a sweat.

And FYI, I have never seen any drama at one. I believe JFS went to at least one TD.

Reply]
    Again, If I want to test myself, I will enter a local fight.
    Bwahahaaaaa! We know that will never happen... unless it is a forms fight.

I think if this was not the case, TCMA would be much more representative in the MMA arena.
    '
    The only reason they are not representative is that most of them get their a$$es handed to them the first time they compete and don't come back.

Your PERCEPTION.

Reply]
    NO!!! I have to go out of state NOW. Back then it was held in Chicago 30 minutes from where I lived. So from here, there is less than before.
    As for the tournies, I can remember we used to have Kou Shou here every year...now it's gone and I would have to travel out of state to fight in one.
    Yes, you say it was popular. Yet, it went away and you had to go out of state. I said had because you don't compete anymore.

The ring has rules, and training for that does not account for all the variables that are intentionally kept out of ring fighting.
    Your training has more rules than the ring. Pulling all of your "deadly" techniques is even more restrictive (and more harmful to your ability to fight) than rules with forbid them but allow full contact of all other techniques.

The only reason they are not representative is that most of them get their a$$es handed to them the first time they compete and don't come back.

Reply]
    Or maybe they go fight San Shou, or get into Pancration or Midwest Kick Boxing. NEVER thought of that did you!!

As I said before, it was Anthony's RING/SPORT training that played a huge role in his fight with Rudy. Many of Rudy's strikes would have finished off alot of people who were not used to being hit. It was Anthony's ability to take hard shots and stay calm and keep coming, rather than panicking, that won him the fight. Taking a shot in a ring is about the same as taking a shot on the street. Your VHS/DVD training will not prepare you to take a punch, or defend a takedown, or teach you how to breathe in a fight, etc. 'Alive' training will. And while many TMAs refuse to train alive, EVERY BJJ/MMA gym I have been to trains alive.

Reply]
    Or maybe they go fight San Shou, or get into Pancration or Midwest Kick Boxing. NEVER thought of that did you!!
    So, basically, after complaining about restrictive rules, they go fight in events that have even MORE restrictive rules. Um... OK... bwahahahahahahahaaaa!!!!

I call BS. I watched the episode twice, and had he said that I would have noticed because I was watching particularly for what they had to say about groundfighting.

Your training has more rules than the ring. Pulling all of your "deadly" techniques is even more restrictive (and more harmful to your ability to fight) than rules with forbid them but allow full contact of all other techniques.

Reply]
    You can still account for multiple opponents, cater your training to knives being pulled, and set up scenarios where targets that are normall illegal in the ring are attacked (Like back of head).

A lower power attack to an illegal target is STILL better training than not going for it at all because you are training for the ring environment.. If you need it for real, you will naturally turn up the power, especially if you set up a bag to work the attack full power after you practice it with your partner at a lower power.