Page 266 of 276 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 3,990 of 4131

Thread: An Epic of Internet-challenge Stupidity

Your VHS/DVD training will not prepare you to take a punch, or defend a takedown, or teach you how to breathe in a fight, etc

Reply]
    I do not depend on VHS/DVD's to train for a fight. I actually work with people, and always have. Saying that just makes you look stupid.

I call BS. I watched the episode twice, and had he said that I would have noticed because I was watching particularly for what they had to say about groundfighting.

Reply]
    They were not doing ground fighting at that time. They were in the woods doing some sort of ambush training...or were you up getting another beer at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post

A lower power attack to an illegal target is STILL better training than not going for it at all because you are training for the ring environment.. If you need it for real, you will naturally turn up the power, especially if you set up a bag to work the attack full power after you practice it with your partner at a lower power.
    LOL... how do you practice hitting the bag in the back of head or the groin?

BTW, it's easier to change the target to an illegal one and be able to hit THAT at full power if you are used to hitting other targets on resisting opponents than it is to change the power of your hitting if you are not used to doing that against resisting opponents.
    This is the key reason so many "deadly self-defense" guys get creamed when they go against sport fighters.

Man, you are dense. I watched the WHOLE SHOW paying particular mind to anything said about the ground. He did not say what you are claiming. I think you are making it up because it suits your otherwise ridiculous point.

Edited to add...

"Some sort of ambush training..."??? That was the final challenge, called The Last of the Mohicans.

Now, which of us was paying closer attention?
    Last edited by Matt W.; 10-03-2007 at 11:59 AM.

LOL... how do you practice hitting the bag in the back of head or the groin?

Reply]
    Take the strike you use for that, and hit the bag really hard with it....are you that helpless that you can't figure that out yourself?

BTW, it's easier to change the target to an illegal one and be able to hit THAT at full power if you are used to hitting other targets on resisting opponents than it is to change the power of your hitting if you are not used to doing that against resisting opponents.

Reply]
    Not when you have gone out of your way to condition yourself to intentionally avoid those targets because of the rule set you are training for.

But the TCMA who is training to go for them will automatically seek them if an opening arises.

Also, MMA guys don't think to protect illegal targets because they never have to worry about getting hit there due to the rules protecting them

You fight like you train. If you TRAIN to avoid hitting illegal targets, you are not going to attack them.

If you TRAIN to not bother protecting those targets, you are not going to stop and think to do so in a no rules street environment either.

This is the key reason so many "deadly self-defense" guys get creamed when they go against sport fighters.

Reply]
    No, it's because they over estimate thier abilities instead of starting small and working thier way up.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 10-03-2007 at 12:06 PM.

"Some sort of ambush training..."??? That was the final challenge, called The Last of the Mohicans.

Now, which of us was paying closer attention?

Reply]
    Yup, that was it. watch where Chamers goes down and the Marine knifes him a bunch of times. Go back and listen to what the Trainer says to him right after...

LOL @ us debating with a complete moron like RD.

I have taken a few months of BJJ in the past. A few months ago I was rolling with a 5X Wrestling Senior National Champion who has wrestled for 30+ years. After he took me down, landing on top of me, I tapped him with a guillotine. After getting up, he told me that they don't train to defend against those because they're against the rules. Now, he did go on to cream me twice in a row after that, but I think this empirical anecdote does support RDs point, i.e., that if you train a sport and ignore certain things because they're against the rules (anything from weapons to groin strikes) than they COULD BE a potential blind spot in a street fight because you reflexively ignore ignore them.

Hmm, can't find fault with my argument, so you call me a moron?

Not when you have gone out of your way to condition yourself to intentionally avoid those targets because of the rule set you are training for.

But the TCMA who is training to go for them will automatically seek them if an opening arises.

Also, MMA guys don't think to protect illegal targets because they never have to worry about getting hit there due to the rules protecting them

You fight like you train. If you TRAIN to avoid hitting illegal targets, you are not going to attack them.

If you TRAIN to not bother protecting those targets, you are not going to stop and think to do so in a no rules street environment either.
    Ok, using the two fights discussed in this thread... which fighter had the opportunity to bite and took it? Which fighter had the opportunity to knee his opponent in the back of the head and took it?

This is why knifefighter said:

Jack Dempsey: "What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?

It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.

Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile when its bodyweight is set into fast motion."

Its easier for a sport fighter to fight with INTENT than a non-fighter to fight with contact they are unaccustomed to.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

You can fight with just as much intent in your practice no matter what you are training for.

Whether it be street, ring, or Iraq, you allways train much harder than the fight anyway, so your logic is pointless to bring up.

You can fight with just as much intent in your practice no matter what you are training for.

Whether it be street, ring, or Iraq, you allways train much harder than the fight anyway, so your logic is pointless to bring up.
    My point was lost on you.
    I have no idea what you are trying to say here, even those of us that actually agree with you on some points are having a hell of a time trying to get what you are saying, even more so considering what we have seen in this thread.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Hmm, can't find fault with my argument, so you call me a moron?

No, he called you a moron because you are a moron.

I say Rudy wins, 1st round by knockout.

Yeah, you really know how to predict the results of an actual fight.

You are clueless. Notice how all the people who you are disagreeing with now called it, yet you were way off on your prediction.