Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grappling fo Girls

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Females aren't allowed in group classes
    Why??? What's the deal with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Why??? What's the deal with that?

It's a traditional school.

well, I can see that anyhow. No matter how much a woman would like, a teacher would like, everyone else would like me to hit, kick, throw a woman, I just cant do it.

Not with full intent and heart. Doesnt matter if they are better than me or not. It's just how I am.

unless of course i am getting attacked in a real situation, which has only happened to me once.....drunk punk rock chicks

but at that point i just repeatedly pushed her on the ground instead of returning the blows she was raining on my face.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    well, I can see that anyhow. No matter how much a woman would like, a teacher would like, everyone else would like me to hit, kick, throw a woman, I just cant do it.

Not with full intent and heart. Doesnt matter if they are better than me or not. It's just how I am.

unless of course i am getting attacked in a real situation, which has only happened to me once.....drunk punk rock chicks

but at that point i just repeatedly pushed her on the ground instead of returning the blows she was raining on my face.
    If you train with a female, don't you think that you're being disrespectful to her by doing that? You're not helping her train for the streets at all...

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiShellie View Post
    If you train with a female, don't you think that you're being disrespectful to her by doing that? You're not helping her train for the streets at all...
    Exactly. Thats why I dont train with women. I would be fine coaching women to spar/fight other people but not myself. Training pads, drills, form, etc is a different story, I've coached/trained women with this in the past just fine, but I have always had a hesitation problem when actual resistant contact is involved.

I suppose I am speaking more from a striking perspective though.

Grappling I could see being a bit easier, but then at the same time I would be to conscious of whether I am making the woman feel uncomfortable and not being able to properly focus on my own training. Thus dis servicing both parties.

It may be the way I was raised, some aspects of our mental development will forever be with us unfortunately.

I do agree though, if a woman wants to be there she should be prepared to accept the responsibility of her training, though asking a man to fight with a woman I feel is out of place if the man does not want to.

So much history between the sexes in situations like this, society is always be a factor of ones up bringing and will highly influence what people are willing and able to do.

I suppose in short I am up for the idea of mixed sexes training, but I think the man should be able to decide not to fight with women.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

No disrespect at all

From a man's perspective, we have have been taught since early childhood that hitting a woman is wrong, and I think that is a good thing.

We understand your desire as a woman to train with someone who is going to push your limits so that you will learn more, but doing that is in conflict with something deeply engrained in us. No disrespect intended at all. It's just the way we've been brought up, and it's hard to suspend the instinct to go lighter when training with women.

Quote Originally Posted by boshea View Post
    From a man's perspective, we have have been taught since early childhood that hitting a woman is wrong, and I think that is a good thing.

We understand your desire as a woman to train with someone who is going to push your limits so that you will learn more, but doing that is in conflict with something deeply engrained in us. No disrespect intended at all. It's just the way we've been brought up, and it's hard to suspend the instinct to go lighter when training with women.
    I can understand your point of view and won't argue with it as that's how most gentleman are taught to be...and it's nice to know that there are some guys out there that are still gentleman. I guess I was raised differently. I have 2 brothers...I was raised like them. My older brother beat on me so I learned to be tough. When my little brother came along, he bullied both of us equally until we ganged up on him. However, I learned from that. He taught me that I'm just another person to him. That kind of upbringing from him, as well as my dad, brought me to the way I think now. I personally don't see it as guy or girl in the dojo...I see it as a belt color. If I'm supposed to be a black belt, then I need to be as tough as the other black belts. If I'm not, then I need to either figure out how to make myself tougher or find a girlie thing to do. It's like the saying says "If you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen."

It's a traditional school.
    I'm pretty sure almost all BJJ schools both in the US and in Brazil allow women in the group classes.

What school do you train at?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    I'm pretty sure almost all BJJ schools both in the US and in Brazil allow women in the group classes.

What school do you train at?
    The Rickson Gracie Academy. There are only 2 females...me and my instructor's girlfriend...and that's it!

The Rickson Gracie Academy. There are only 2 females...me and my instructor's girlfriend...and that's it!
    Rickson doesn't allow women in his group classes????

Hmmm... come to think of it, I don't remember any women being in the regular classes at the Torrance Academy either.

Maybe it is a Gracie thing.

That must be really expensive only being able to do privates.

Rickson doesn't allow women in his group classes????

Hmmm... come to think of it, I don't remember any women being in the regular classes at the Torrance Academy either.

Maybe it is a Gracie thing.

That must be really expensive only being able to do privates.
    Maybe it is...He doesn't though. It's cool because me and my friend get to have a private lesson with his son. He's a really good teacher. Hearing about him competing makes me want to compete when I get better...

Maybe it is...He doesn't though. It's cool because me and my friend get to have a private lesson with his son. He's a really good teacher. Hearing about him competing makes me want to compete when I get better...
    Kron is one bada$$ kid. It's amazing how good he has gotten. Can't wait till he competes as a black belt.

BTW, it's never too early to compete. It only makes you better.

I can understand your point of view and won't argue with it as that's how most gentleman are taught to be...and it's nice to know that there are some guys out there that are still gentleman. I guess I was raised differently. I have 2 brothers...I was raised like them. My older brother beat on me so I learned to be tough. When my little brother came along, he bullied both of us equally until we ganged up on him. However, I learned from that. He taught me that I'm just another person to him. That kind of upbringing from him, as well as my dad, brought me to the way I think now. I personally don't see it as guy or girl in the dojo...I see it as a belt color. If I'm supposed to be a black belt, then I need to be as tough as the other black belts. If I'm not, then I need to either figure out how to make myself tougher or find a girlie thing to do. It's like the saying says "If you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen."
    The ironic thing is that, just going by your posts on these forums, and from how long you have been training, I bet you train harder than me.

I just realized that I may have wandered off-topic a bit because this is a thread about grappling and I have mostly only trained in striking styles, so for now I'll switch into lurker mode in this thread!
    Last edited by boshea; 07-13-2007 at 09:47 PM.

Kron is one bada$$ kid. It's amazing how good he has gotten. Can't wait till he competes as a black belt.

BTW, it's never too early to compete. It only makes you better.
    Yeah...I'm just a white belt. I'm waiting till he says I'm ready for a couple reasons other than just being a white belt... It's all about the respect thing. I'm older than he is, but man, he is seriously BADA$$ as you state. I can't wait till he gets his black belt...he's a really awesome brown belt. I love studying with him. He treats me and my friend like we are part of the BJJ family even though it's only been a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by boshea View Post
    The ironic thing is that, just going by your posts on these forums, and from how long you have been training, I bet you train harder than me.

I just realized that I may have wandered off-topic a bit because this is a thread about grappling and I have mostly only trained in striking styles, so for now I'll switch into lurker mode in this thread!
    My training partner seriously says I'm his inspiration and I'm the toughest chick he's known. I've been KO'ed on numerous occasions to just stand up afterwards and want to continue to spar. I'm his inspiration because I have stage 1 thryoid cancer. I bust my butt on the mat every time I train. Granted that I only last for an hour, I make it the best 1 hour of my life. Sometimes I don't feel like training, but I get up and do it. I train to stay alive at this point, and it's working. I'm almost in remission. I have a couple more rounds of chemo and might actually get to keep my thyroid. I've trained mostly in striking...I'm a Kempo based person. However, I also train in Kickboxing, Boxing, Wrestling, BJJ, Kung Fu and Chen style Taiji. Once I'm better, I want to become a fighter. Because of the thyroid condition that I currently have, I'm 40 lbs overweight for my height category. That doesn't matter though. I'll lose the weight when I'm better and mark my words, you will see me in a ring.

My training partner seriously says I'm his inspiration and I'm the toughest chick he's known. I've been KO'ed on numerous occasions to just stand up afterwards and want to continue to spar. I'm his inspiration because I have stage 1 thryoid cancer. I bust my butt on the mat every time I train. Granted that I only last for an hour, I make it the best 1 hour of my life. Sometimes I don't feel like training, but I get up and do it. I train to stay alive at this point, and it's working. I'm almost in remission. I have a couple more rounds of chemo and might actually get to keep my thyroid. I've trained mostly in striking...I'm a Kempo based person. However, I also train in Kickboxing, Boxing, Wrestling, BJJ, Kung Fu and Chen style Taiji. Once I'm better, I want to become a fighter. Because of the thyroid condition that I currently have, I'm 40 lbs overweight for my height category. That doesn't matter though. I'll lose the weight when I'm better and mark my words, you will see me in a ring.
    Wow! That must take a lot of courage and determination to keep training through chemo. I've had friends on chemo and some of them just barely got out of bed.

That's fantastic that you are beating it. Keep at it. I'm sure you are an inspiration to a lot of people.