Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grappling fo Girls

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiShellie View Post
    My training partner seriously says I'm his inspiration and I'm the toughest chick he's known. I've been KO'ed on numerous occasions to just stand up afterwards and want to continue to spar. I'm his inspiration because I have stage 1 thryoid cancer. I bust my butt on the mat every time I train. Granted that I only last for an hour, I make it the best 1 hour of my life. Sometimes I don't feel like training, but I get up and do it. I train to stay alive at this point, and it's working. I'm almost in remission. I have a couple more rounds of chemo and might actually get to keep my thyroid. I've trained mostly in striking...I'm a Kempo based person. However, I also train in Kickboxing, Boxing, Wrestling, BJJ, Kung Fu and Chen style Taiji. Once I'm better, I want to become a fighter. Because of the thyroid condition that I currently have, I'm 40 lbs overweight for my height category. That doesn't matter though. I'll lose the weight when I'm better and mark my words, you will see me in a ring.
    I wish you a speedy recovery, and I'm sure that the force of will that it takes to keep training in spite of your thyroid cancer and chemotherapy will pay off one day when you are well.

* EDIT *
    I said I would only lurk this thread but I had to respond to that. Heh, I was going to train today and I didn't because I was "tired" but now I feel like a wuss!
    Last edited by boshea; 07-14-2007 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Adding a disclaimer for my delayed descent into lurkerdom on this thread.

Shellie,

You're already a fighter, I'm sure your spirit will travel well in what ever you decide to do, with dedication like you have you will dominate your competition in the ring with the training your getting.

I would also like to point out you are more of the exception rather than the rule as to what I have experienced with women training in martial arts.

Definately keep us posted so we can all support you when you do start fighting competativley.

Keep fighting that good fight!
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Wow! That must take a lot of courage and determination to keep training through chemo. I've had friends on chemo and some of them just barely got out of bed.

That's fantastic that you are beating it. Keep at it. I'm sure you are an inspiration to a lot of people.
    It sure isn't fun sometimes, but other times it's ok. When I beat it for sure (I have one more 2 month round on the chemo pill) then I'll make sure everyone knows I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by boshea View Post
    I wish you a speedy recovery, and I'm sure that the force of will that it takes to keep training in spite of your thyroid cancer and chemotherapy will pay off one day when you are well.

* EDIT *
    I said I would only lurk this thread but I had to respond to that. Heh, I was going to train today and I didn't because I was "tired" but now I feel like a wuss!
    If I stop training, that's when I admit I'm sick...I can't do that. I'm a warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    Shellie,

You're already a fighter, I'm sure your spirit will travel well in what ever you decide to do, with dedication like you have you will dominate your competition in the ring with the training your getting.

I would also like to point out you are more of the exception rather than the rule as to what I have experienced with women training in martial arts.

Definately keep us posted so we can all support you when you do start fighting competativley.

Keep fighting that good fight!
    I will keep you posted. I am an exception because of the way I was raised...

You're an exceptionally hardcore woman. Looking forward to your progress. Definitely keep us updated!
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Better off just renting them once in a while. Once you own them, you never get to touch them.
    You had the op?

Thought this thread was about a wrestling competition to win a woman...
    Oh well, my wife wouldn't have let me keep one.

Sensei Shellie, all the best: keep fighting.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    You're an exceptionally hardcore woman. Looking forward to your progress. Definitely keep us updated!
    Thanks...as of right now, I have a 75% chance of keeping my thyroid. We'll see if I get to keep it after the next 2 months.

NAGA changes rules for women vs trans fighters.

Martial arts competition changes rules after female fighters pull out over safety fears after facing trans grapplers
    By Social Links for Melissa Koenig
    Published Oct. 31, 2023, 1:18 p.m. ET

Terrified female martial artists say they’ve pulled out of recent competitions to avoid facing much stronger transgender fighters — forcing a major organization to revise its rules to ensure trans females can now only face men.

The North American Grappling Association (NAGA) said it overhauled its rules after complaints about transgender female athletes fighting in recent events.

In one of its jiu jitsu events in Georgia earlier this month, transgender grappler Corissa Griffith took home four gold medals in women’s competitions, while another, Cordelia Gregory, placed second, the feminist outlet Reduxx said.

NAGA suggested that transgender grapplers were likely competing by simply ticking “female” in registration forms and then going unnoticed.

However, a number of women have come forward to complain about safety fears from uneven matchups — not all at NAGA events — that left some so scared, they pulled out of major tournaments to avoid similar encounters.

Jayden Alexander said she was left in tears after fighting a transgender woman at an unspecified event in July — and was so “devastated” and afraid, she pulled out of future competitions, including a NAGA one.

“The simple fact of the matter is that men, signing up in a combat sport to fight women, is absolutely unacceptable,” she said.

Jayden Alexander is pictured speaking about her experience in a video posted to social media.

“The experience was horrible and scary … I was absolutely in fight or flight mode,” she said in an Instagram post video.

“We don’t deserve to self-exclude from competitions to avoid fighting men. We deserve for there to be rules and regulations put into place that keep us safe and that protect us from these situations happening in the first place.”

Last month, Taelor Moore, a 135-pound woman, posted a video of her fighting a 200-pound transgender athlete, which she captioned: “My biggest opponent yet.”

Although Moore won the fight, her coach, Jimmy Witt, complained that she “could have been severely injured,” according to Breitbart.

Another fighter, Ansleigh Wilk, said she was not told she would be fighting a transgender woman at a July 8 competition and was left in “panic mode.”

“They felt so strong, I was like, ‘Oh my God’ … I thought I couldn’t take them down,” she said of the match that she eventually won.

“This was always about the other girls traumatized by this event and the future of female grappling,” she said. “I can’t believe people think this is OK.”

Marshi Smith, co-founder of the Independent Council on Women’s Sports, said she has “spoken to four women who have all fought male fighters in the combat sport of Jiu Jitsu.”

“We don’t deserve to self-exclude from competitions to avoid fighting men,” Alexander argued.
    Instagram / @jayden.scrappy
    “They are extremely upset. They are emailing federation leadership and being dismissed,” Smith told Reduxx.

NAGA stressed that not all of the women speaking out had their bad experiences at their events.

It also said that its rules were for biological females to always be given the choice to fight transgender athletes when they were aware of their involvement.

However, NAGA president Kipp Kollar conceded on Instagram that registration for events only asks competitors if they are male or female, without the option to declare yourself as transgender.

Jayden Alexander said she was left in tears after fighting a transgender woman at an event in July
    Instagram / @jayden.scrappy

“We are adding additional text to the event and rules page … to help inform transgender females which division they need to enter,” Kollar said.

“Maintaining fairness for female athletes is our paramount priority,” Klopp said, noting that is “even more important given the heightened potential for injury in grappling.”

From now on, “male-to-female transgender athletes who have gone through male puberty are excluded from competing in the female division at NAGHA events.”

“Transgender females must compete in the men’s division,” NAGA also said in an update to its policy Saturday

“We hope that the simplicity of this revised policy will help to avoid any future occurrences where transgender females enter women’s divisions,” the policy states, adding: “If NAGA staff is informed that a transgender female is in a women’s division, they will be given the choice to go to the man’s division or given a refund.”
    Jayden certainly has a point.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    “Transgender females must compete in the men’s division,” NAGA also said in an update to its policy Saturday
    So does that also mean Transgender _males_ must compete in the _women’s_ division??? Either way they may be onto something that could be very entertaining!