Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clinching in Iraq-AFR

Clinching in Iraq-AFR

Published Iraq "after action report". It showcases a fight with an insurgent using upper body clinching and knee strikes.

Interesting read.

http://www.armytimes.com/legacy/new/...ER-2329490.php

Everyone knows that there's no grappling in a Real Fight (tm). Also, being on the ground in war means being killed instantly. And you can't grapple weapons. This story is clearly false.

(Good work, Staff Sgt. McCully)
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

Can't get any more real-life application than that. I wonder if the weight of his gear helped him control the insurgent.

kind of lucky the insurgent went for butt checking him instead of unloading from a slight distance with his AK to finish the job like i would have....

Never the less, props. for sure.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Hmmm?? So was this a REAL fight then??? Where was all the grappling and arm bars and stuff like that???

Funny, Lee, you heard cinch and grapple, I heard uppercut and knee strike while holding onto his hair.

I also heard him getting up off the ground as quickly as possible.

But most of all, I heard a lot of chaos, and a young brave soldier doing his best to stay alive, carrying shrapnel in his leg after having been blowed up.

How those guys survived still amazes me. Total respect.

Wow!!

That is intense
    The thing that get me was the ten shots to the face!!!

We fight how we train and if we train well, we will fight well, regardless of how we fight.
    Close- Quarter combat is just that, close quarter, it envolves everything and thus, everything must be trained.
    Logical that if there is a chance of clinching one must train the clinch, if there is a chance of ground fighting, one must train ground fighting.
    Simple and logical.

the hell with fighting and any training just pull the triger on every thing and every one ..if i was over there i would not care because those people dont care about any thing .it would be man women or child ...i would survive

Quote Originally Posted by msg View Post
    the hell with fighting and any training just pull the triger on every thing and every one ..if i was over there i would not care because those people dont care about any thing .it would be man women or child ...i would survive
    Seek Professional help.

What I got was how the "new" iraqi millitary are sh!tbags.

I can't remember the senator but he said he was talking to some of them, and they where all like "why can't america protect us?"

WTF you the iraqi millitary grab a pair a do it yourself.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post

I can't remember the senator but he said he was talking to some of them, and they where all like "why can't america protect us?"

Well, there is the part where we wrecked their country and then disbanded their military.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Funny, Lee, you heard cinch and grapple, I heard uppercut and knee strike while holding onto his hair.
    Well, yeah. That's what clinch fighting is. Hitting someone while holding them in an upright position.

I also heard him getting up off the ground as quickly as possible.
    Sure. "Be able to fight on the ground" (standard MMA argument) is not the same as "Always fight on the ground" (standard mis-read of MMA argument).

But most of all, I heard a lot of chaos, and a young brave soldier doing his best to stay alive, carrying shrapnel in his leg after having been blowed up.

How those guys survived still amazes me. Total respect.
    A-****ing-men.

Well, there is the part where we wrecked their country and then disbanded their military.
    No, its that there military is incompetent, they are an ungratefull people, and in the end they don't want to be free. Japan and Germany and a number of other countries seemed to understand the concept coming out of a war.

Started out with great intentions but now you have to go with the old line about you can drag a horse to water but you can't make it drink if it does not want to.

Quote Originally Posted by msg View Post
    Well said from the safety of Australia and a fantasy BS existance. Take it you still get plenty of John Wayne films on cable over there?

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post

Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeCasebolt View Post
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    No, its that there military is incompetent,
    True. Who trained them? Oh, it was the allies. Saddam did a better job of training the military, which just goes to show without some kind of political lead (however repugnant) there's going to be no cohesive training in the military. They need something to fight for. Fighting for your family isn't enough either: they're being asked to sacrifice more than regular civilians in Iraq, and fighting for the good of the country is too nebulous a concept when there are so many opinions of how that country should go. We need to set up a new dictator and get the **** out again, just like we've been doing in the middle east everywhere for the last hundred years.
    they are an ungratefull people, and in the end they don't want to be free. Japan and Germany and a number of other countries seemed to understand the concept coming out of a war.
    Silly point. They are different to Japan and Germany, as a people, and the situation is different, and the historical context is different. Basically, you are saying how silly it is they don't recognize your American (allied) concept of gratefulness when all they've seen first hand of American involvement is death. I'm not saying I agree with them: Saddam was of course worse, but we set him up too, so the older generation don't have any fond memories of our involvement either, and the aftermath of the Gulf War doesn't do us any favours either... and yes, they should take responsibility, but the fact was, they were never a nation until we made them one: they were a collection of mostly warring tribes, so what are they going to take responsibilty for?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan