Thread: Internal/Chen: Portland OR

Internal/Chen: Portland OR

So using google i am not having any luck finding a strictly Chen style teacher in my area. I am willing to find a teacher that is not strictly Chen but will start you with Chen either right away or relativly soon into the training.

I have a person in mind, but they begin with Yang, then Wu, then Chen, and he does not teach the long forms in Chen, only the modernised. At least so far as I know, my roomate trains under him and has not heard or seen anything about the older sets. Though has shown me much of his taiji and first hand I know that I like it. I ran my kungfu training under him for several years and am pleased with his ability in teaching and execution, so I am fairly comfortable in starting my Taiji training there, though I am fond of Chen most of all.

Essentially I am wanting to begin my internal arts training to compliment the external i have done for so many years.

I am certainly open to suggestion, and not fully restrictive to Taiji.

anyone with any connections in my area or recommendations?

much appreciated. thanks.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Cool

premature i suppose

http://i-chuan.net/pages/AboutFong.html

I will be visiting here.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

I visited Fong Sifu yesterday.

Very positive invironment. I really enjoyed my lesson and plan to go back, most likely for the next many years.

Fong Sifu was very aware of his class, paying attention to each students particular needs based on their physical limitations and strengths. In addition he was very nice, respectfu, humble yet at the same time you can see he doesnt mess around.

Today my arms and legs are still a bit rubbery so thats real nice, I got a great work out, and on my first day was given some concepts to think on, so i was able to learn on my first day something other than form (which i was also able to start on). Something with substance I can utilize continually.

two thumbs up for sure.

Begining my journy into Chen Taijiquan has gotten off to a great start!
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    I visited Fong Sifu yesterday.

Very positive invironment. I really enjoyed my lesson and plan to go back, most likely for the next many years.

Fong Sifu was very aware of his class, paying attention to each students particular needs based on their physical limitations and strengths. In addition he was very nice, respectfu, humble yet at the same time you can see he doesnt mess around.

Today my arms and legs are still a bit rubbery so thats real nice, I got a great work out, and on my first day was given some concepts to think on, so i was able to learn on my first day something other than form (which i was also able to start on). Something with substance I can utilize continually.

two thumbs up for sure.

Begining my journy into Chen Taijiquan has gotten off to a great start!
    Great guy, great website too. My Kung Fu Uncle, Randy Choy has done many articles for his website, most are regarding tai chi praying mantis forms but he also has some on tai chi including chen cannon fist form.

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Great guy, great website too. My Kung Fu Uncle, Randy Choy has done many articles for his website, most are regarding tai chi praying mantis forms but he also has some on tai chi including chen cannon fist form.
    He did seem like quite a good guy.

I am so green that you could call me Kermit, but I have read several of the articles. Lots of information on his website for the avid reader to absorb.

I enjoyed reading about the Lo Family Sword, pretty interesting stuff.

Im enthused to delve deeper and deeper in to this new world of mine.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

This PQ by the way.

I am really enjoying Sifu Fong's classes. Very comfortable environment. I am learning a lot. Sifu genuinely cares about his students and their progression, whether it be health, fitness, martial or a combination there of. I plan on staying here for a good long while to learn Taiji.

My Kung Fu Uncle, Randy Choy has done many articles for his website
    Sifu Randy Choy will be here next week for a workshop. We might get to learn some Qi Gong from what I am hearing.

Looking forward to it.

Wow! I'm jealous! I'm hoping Sifu Jeff will get him to come here sometime (Grand Rapids, MI). However, I'd rather do a class trip to Honolulu
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Wow! I'm jealous! I'm hoping Sifu Jeff will get him to come here sometime (Grand Rapids, MI). However, I'd rather do a class trip to Honolulu
    I hear that! I still have never been to the great state of Hawaii

Maybe one day

I'll let you know what the workshop was on around this time next week.

I was only able to make it to the first day of the 3 day workshop.

I came down with the flu. SUPER disappointed.

But the first day consisted of some Qi Gong exersizes I have not done before, so at least I was able to learn a little bit.

I guess I'll just have to wait till next time.

lucas

Luckily, I was able to learn some of what Sifu Choy taught while I was ill.

Yesterday I learned a Bak Mei (sp?) form. Super fun.

I never looked into what Bak Mei is, so I guess its a good time to start.

I will have to read up.