Thread: Interesting article

Question Interesting article

The latest issue of KF Taichi has an nicely done article by Mr. JOhn Page in it on "Xing Yi Taichi." OVerall the article was well put together, but I have one question regarding a comment made within the pages....
    The author states that Guo Yunsheng mixed Taiji with their Che Style Xin Yi creating a hybrid system of internal martial art. Subsequently Guo passed on his teachings to Bu Xuekuan, and Sun Lu Tang. The author then goes on to say that Sun's Taiji system was in fact NOT created by Sun, but rather it is the hybrid Xing Yi-Taiji system as passed on by Guo.
    I find this quite interesting, but the rest of the article mentions nothing else in regards to this claim. So I was wondering two things:
    1) What proof does the author have in making such a claim?
    2) Has anyone else heard of this before? This is a new one to me, but alas I am still quite young in the martial arts so perhaps something has alluded my understanding.

Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

No one??
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

never heard of Guo Yunsheng doing any Tai Chi.

there was a meeting that the 3 styles will study from another.

so there is Xing Yi in Ba gua. There is Xing Yi in Tai Chi.

there is Ba Gua in Tai Chi etc.

Interesting, but neither reply responds to my original question regarding the allegation that Sun did not create Sun Taiji! No one is chiming in on this one anywhere. Makes me think it is merely some author talking out his arse!

Thanks
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Thumbs up

http://neijiaquan.com/images/xiaoran/article/406.html

according this article posted from Sun style Neijia fist website.

Jiang Rong Qiao mentioned the first integration of the 3 styles is from the meeting of Dong Hai Chuan, Yang Lu Chan and Guo Yun Sheng. but more research done disapproved this.

In the record or written book, Sun Lu Tang (1860-1933) wrote "Xing Yi Quan Xue"(published 1915), "Tai Chi Quan Xue" (1919) and "Ba Gua Quan Xue" (1916). In these 3 books, Sun was the first one to discuss the universal theory of practice of Nei Jin and the theory of neutralization which is the common theme of the three styles.

There are more discussions in Sun's 3 books.

so in terms of history or written record/books, Sun Lu Tang was the first to "integrate" the 3 on a common theme or theory and practice.

--

Last edited by SPJ; 07-29-2007 at 04:45 PM.

http://www.plumflower.com/tai_chi.htm

here is a link to an English translation of "Tai Chi Quan Xue" by Sun Lu Tang.

Last edited by SPJ; 07-29-2007 at 07:26 PM.

The article I first mentioned states that Sun Lu Tang did not create the Sun Family Taiji system as we know it. This has nothing to do with who first mentioned the three arts of Taiji, Bagua, Xing Yi in the same context.
    I am curious if anyone (including the author) else has heard of such a theory, and if so what evidence do they have to support such a claim?
    Thanks
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

doubtfull

for one guo didn't study che style xing yi he studied from li lou neng and was che's younger kung fu brother. second from what we know of gao, he never practiced tai chi. also i doubt the great master would have the patience to learn it(again this is going by what we know) sun created that style fully by combining the three main systems. that guy is just trying to stir up controversy. which i hope doesn't work lets not go the way of the external style that always bickers about who is real and who is fake. luckily we have a clear history here to look at. that tells us what we need to know.

Sun style's origins are pretty well documented, and I think it's even pretty obvious how it was put together just by looking at the form itself. I'm just not seeing anything to the xingyi taiji story...

Ditto, but I was wondering what others thought. Thanks for the input guys.
    Oh, and Doug if you have not noticed the petty political BS in ALL martial arts, you have not been around long But I agree, lets keep the silly **** out of ALL discussions.
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

not long just

just about 19 years i use to see all that argument whose who bull**** in the external styles and i hated it but when i started studing xing yi i didn't see it cause you either know it or you don't