Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Only Truly Authentic Shaolin System

Quote Originally Posted by HtownShaolinBum View Post
    WOW!!! That is quite an arrogant and backhanded post. And a little creepy. What is with the quotes? No, I dont go around blatantly saying that my style is the best, nor do I go around blatantly naming my instructor in every post, it would be disrespectful.

An arrogant attitude is why I responded to the original poster in the first place. He displayed arrogance, and I responded with sarcasm, and chose not to drag my master's name into it.

Uh, dude, you don't know anything about me or my "Journey" as you would put it. And I will thank you to stay out of my personal affairs.
    HtownShaolinBum:
    lol WOW! <--- as YOU would put it...
    All I was doing, was showing pride my style as you sould be with your style. Sence you do not do BSL/NSL then, I will thank you to stay out of our personal affairs if you have nothing nice to say...

And on personal note: YOU are an A$$... Please feel free to post back to me and try to make yourself LOOK BIG! Just an FYI, I will not post back to you...

Have a Happy Chinese New Year...

~Jason

ps... SLF good post...
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

Northern Shaolin refers to all the styles of the Northern Temple. It would be silly to think the Ten Hand Sets system was all there was.
    Yes, there's many Longfist styles that are definitely related, but from what I understand, in the 1800's at least, when people in the north referred to the "Northern Shaolin Style" they were most always talking about what came to be known as Bei Shaolin or Bak Siu Lum. People didn't refer to it that often since it wasn't really in the limelight until Kuo Yu Chang came along.
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 02-07-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Ahh, Gott Yah!.

When talking Shaolin, the time period matters as Shaolin consisted of different things, at different times. There is all the really old Tai Tzu, Hong Quan, Pao quan and related stuff from Sung dynasty that could be referred to as Northern Shaolin too, but those are all different systems.

1800's is totally different era than I was thinking.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

the sin is the only real shaolin master. bow down all before he-man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Wildwoo is offline 苦練在最熱的天,夏季和冬季最寒冷的日子 !
    Oh, the one true system at last! I will go to my instructor now and spit in his face and tell him he is a piece of **** and quit the school.

Who cares what system is THE OLDEST!! or THE MOST COMPLETE. Ultimately, it comes down to this, how much does your teacher know, and have you learned it all already? I know that my instructor knows alot and that I've barely touched the surface. Once he says, "well, you've learned just about all I can teach you", then maybe I'll worry about trying to find that elusive "TRUE SYSTEM" that everyone claims to have.
    Just started huh? Me too!

I don't think you should go to your martial art instructor now and spit in his face and tell him he is a piece of **** and quit the school.

Take a little more time, be patient. Plus he may beat you up pretty bad if you spit on him....

Quote Originally Posted by Fen View Post
    HtownShaolinBum:
    lol WOW! <--- as YOU would put it...
    All I was doing, was showing pride my style as you sould be with your style. Sence you do not do BSL/NSL then, I will thank you to stay out of our personal affairs if you have nothing nice to say...

And on personal note: YOU are an A$$... Please feel free to post back to me and try to make yourself LOOK BIG! Just an FYI, I will not post back to you...

Have a Happy Chinese New Year...

~Jason

ps... SLF good post...
    Are you serious?

Well dang man, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings so badly.
    Last edited by HtownShaolinBum; 02-19-2008 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwoo View Post
    Just started huh? Me too!

I don't think you should go to your martial art instructor now and spit in his face and tell him he is a piece of **** and quit the school.

Take a little more time, be patient. Plus he may beat you up pretty bad if you spit on him....
    Whatchu talkin' bout Wildwoo?!?!

I was just kiddin' about calling my master a POS. Or were you just kidding too? OH GOD!!! THIS INTERNET STUFF IS SO CONFUSING AND EASY TO MISINTERPRET! THE HUMANITY!!! Ok, I'm done.

Wildwoo is offline 苦練在最熱的天,夏季和冬季最寒冷的日子 !
    Whatchu talkin' bout Wildwoo?!?!

I was just kiddin' about calling my master a POS. Or were you just kidding too? OH GOD!!! THIS INTERNET STUFF IS SO CONFUSING AND EASY TO MISINTERPRET! THE HUMANITY!!! Ok, I'm done.
    I was being purposely obtuse to draw you away from the deadly Fen. Fen teacher says practice the Hauser Horse Stance or your gonna get spanking. LOL!

Questioning the "the 4 olds"

Shi Xingzhen, Shi Suxi, Shi Suyun, Shi Dechan are considered as the so called “four olds”. The fact is, these men had good connections with with the PRC heirarchy . . look at their bios.
    Interestingly the "Four Olds" were also considered as the 'old customs' by the Communists: culture, habits, and, ideas. Coincidence or not? . . . in my view, this is a intentional flip on language . . . sort of Orwell-en.

I would like to add another book for those interested in looking at the context for Shaolin as presented by the PRC. Most people think it was just the 'cultural revolution' that was responsible for the lose of China's traditions. The truth is that the purge of TCMA began in 1949. For those that are interested in the context of what happened I would suggest one other book for holiday reading: Wild Swans - Three Daughters of China" by Jung Chang.

cheers,
    r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 12-14-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r.(shaolin) View Post
    Shi Xingzhen, Shi Suxi, Shi Suyun, Shi Dechan are considered “four olds”. All these men had good connection with with the PRC heirarchy . . look at their bios.
    Interestingly the "Four Olds" were also the old customs: culture, habits, and, ideas.
    Coincidence or not? . . . this is a intentional flip on language . . . sort of Orwell-en.

I would like to add another book for those interested in looking at the context for Shaolin as presented by the PRC. Most people think it was just 'cultural revolution' that was responsible for the lose of China's traditions. The truth is that the purge of TCMA began in 1949. For those that are interested in the context of what happened I would suggest one other book for holiday reading: Wild Swans - Three Daughters of China" by Jung Chang.

cheers,
    r.
    please define "good."

Xingzhen, Suxi...I'm just not sure how you can say they had 'good' relationships with the PRC. Xingzhen was quite famous for routing government people from the temple a few times, despite being blind at the time. I would think if the relationship were so good, the Temple would have been in quite a different state.

a few anecdotes I can understand being dismissive of, but so many...it kind of defies reason.

I'd like to read the bios you are mentioning, if they exist in english.

But Chinese would do as well.

ven. shi xingzheng has a "g" on the end of his name. his character is 正 zhèng, meaning upright/straight/correct/just, etc..- the character used in the noble eightfold path as "right"- or as in the straight kick "zhengtitui".

and apparently he past away before the term for the "four olds" was in use. the other was ven. shi wanheng. i think nowadays they replace him with ven. xingzheng due to his history of expulsion. but having "four olds" not including ven. wanheng while he is still alive wouldnt quite make sense.

and i'm with brotha sloan on the "good connection" question. the bios of them and their relationship with the prc that i am aware of was quite tragic.

HTML Code:
    please define "good."
    What I mean is: reliable; dependable; favorably regarded.

relationship with the prc that i am aware of was quite tragic.
    Yes and no. Many people even those high up in the Communist party were at various times persecuted. There is no doubt that all this is tragic. Everyone who receives an important appointment in China is carefully scrutinized. This was and is true of government appointments to the leadership of religious groups. Such a person would have been regarded favorably by the State Administration of Religious Affairs.. For obvious reasons, in the case of Shaolin careful scrutiny would have been particularly true. Shi Xing Zheng held at least 4 government appointments - one of which was president of the Buddhist Association in Zhengzhou. My point is not to disparage the monks but that the current Shaolin project is a Chinese government orchestration.
    If you have time and want some context please do read at least, "Wild Swans - Three Daughters of China" by Jung Chang. The book gives a unique, insightful, and chilling perspective on 20th century Chinese history. It has won the 1992 NCR Book Award and the 1994 British Book of the Year and has been translated into 30 languages and sold over 10 million copies.

cheers,
    r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 12-15-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    ven. shi xingzheng has a "g" on the end of his name. his character is 正 zhèng, meaning upright/straight/correct/just, etc..- the character used in the noble eightfold path as "right"- or as in the straight kick "zhengtitui".
    Is this one of the basic wushu kicks? The old term for this kick was: Qi Mie Tui 齊眉腿.

r.

yes, but i prefer zhengtitui, as i'd never be able to do a proper "eyebrow level" kick. long legs.

Quote Originally Posted by r.(shaolin)
    Yes and no. Many people even those high up in the Communist party were at various times persecuted.
    well for one, we are not talking about something like censure, or a fine, when discussing persecution of a monk like Shi Suxi, we are talking beatings, public humiliations, etc., for which he paid a very high price.

So I think it is a bit disingenuous to suggest:

My point is not to disparage the monks but that the current Shaolin project is a Chinese government orchestration...
    the reality is probably that both entities used each other as they could, each orchestrating their various sometimes contentious sometimes synergistic agendas- one so it could survive if not at least also maintain and slowly grow, one so it could take advantage and not look so bad, it's not quite accurate to make it sound like all the people playing in the Shaolin orchestra are doing that from the government's music or that Xingzheng and Suxi and the others like Wanheng and Dechan sat down and plotted how to secure the PRC a colonial williamsburgh several decades down the line... according to most internal histories from people who would know, these monks had to put up with quite a bit they didn't find agreeable- privately- and often made that known at great risk to themselves - publicly- despite their various "government" positions, and it's one reason they are so deeply loved and held in such high esteem.

This kind of political stress still goes on even today amongst many of the family sects in Shaolin, a recent flareup was over the Shaolin Tree, which got ripped up to make way for new construction.