Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic tai chi...

Realistic tai chi...

Some realistic tai chi grappling sparring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft_ZtX9wRdA

Nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Wow, surprised you are the one who posted that!
    Why is that?

there are some regular pushhand competitions in China, Taiwan and other countries.

there is also the world cup event.

--

Why is that?

Reply]
    Well, because it's actual Tai Chi usage, done in practice like it's supposed to be...and you recognized it. Most times you are Poo pooing TCMAs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDXRjXEhLGY

an intro Tai Chi pushhand clip for people that are interested.

you start with fixed step pushhand.

then moving step pushhand.

finally free/random step/moving pushhand.

and you also practice small, mid and large circles etc etc.

Last edited by SPJ; 07-21-2007 at 08:32 PM.

cjurakpt Guest

I know smalltins, he's a student of my first teacher. Apparently the Chen village has been getting increasingly rough in it's push hands lately. When they went earlier this year, my teacher was asked to participate in what he thought was a friendly bit of pushing hands (they'd been there for 4 hours at this point). The guy came in and slammed him in the shin. In his next cycle he then headbutted him full in the face My teacher then clinched with him, did a minute or two of standing grappling, and then threw him with a belly to belly suplex
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Blog Entries
    Defnitely saw some Tajij from the guy in blue. The guy in black less so.

This brings up an interesting point that I've been thinking about. Some want to define "internal" as something mystica or related to "chi" but I think really what it is about is subtlety.

"External" refers to gross movements, "internal" refers to a movement that is more refined, more subtle, harder to determine whats going on.

The more "internal" you are the less it appears that you are doing and yet the intended effect is often greater. The reason being that the opponent often has a harder time knowing what you are doing because it is concealed within more subtle movements.

I don't think that this is only true of the so called "internal arts" but can be developed in any martial art....especially those that work within clinch range.

In "internal arts" this subtlety is trained from the beginning, looking for a very high degree of refinement first and then applicability.

In regards to what "real taiji" looks like and this video. This video shows very gross movements. If the practitioners were of a higher level of skill then the the movement would be more subtle, to the point that you might think it was "fake" because you wouldn't see a lot going on and then all of a sudden a dramatic result.

It doesn't mean that they aren't doing Taiji but that it is at a gross level.

I'm not saying that this subtlety is only in Taiji, I would expect the same thing from high level Judo players for example.... a high degree of refinement in their movement...which often looks like less movement.

FP
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 07-22-2007 at 10:36 AM.

A swing and a miss.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher M View Post
    A swing and a miss.
    Is that comment directed at my post?

Thumbs up

Definitely nice to see push hand that doesn't resemble hands chasing only. It is also nice to see that they are able to practice what they preach. There's not only going with the flow like Judo, wrestling and Shuai Jiao but also repelling as well. So both the yin and the yang are covered just what Taiji is supposed to do. Me likey.

Thanks for sharing Knife Fighter

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Why is that?

Reply]
    Well, because it's actual Tai Chi usage, done in practice like it's supposed to be...and you recognized it. Most times you are Poo pooing TCMAs
    The thing about KF is that he's NOT anti CMA. He's anti garbage. He's complimented some san shou vids that were posted as well.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

from what ive noticed KF gives credit where credits due, though he may be one of the first to call BS, generally its supported by his reasons.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!