Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you realistically defend against a Dog?

One ive been taught is that if a dog jumps towards the throat is to try an either step grab grab one leg or if u can an avoid the mouth grab both and push them outwards and the shoulder blades pop back into the chest cavity and puncture the lungs an heart. Also im not sure but run or grab its back legs they cant turn on them selves to good esp if u move round. but id advise distance like a big stik.
    Go hard or go home or some where else up to you

http://therandomandthefit.blogspot.com.au/

Answer

Get a bigger dog.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    with a 12 guage?

if you don't mind sacrificing one arm dogs will generally go for the first object closest to them and bite it. when they do that, circle around the back of the neck with the other hand and bend the head back till they let go or it breaks.

but, seriously, get the shotgun and be done with the pest once and for all.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

get an NBC stick
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post

nigga

be

cool

[STICK]

*SMACK*
    ****, RD, you're whiter than I am.

My sihing Ross Lai once told me something about the Tibetan style kap cheui with a dropping horse being useful against wild dogs in Tibet and China. I'm not sure I could time the strike with the dog's leap. It might work; my mother's great dane was killed by a clip to the snout by a harried moose. (Not a kap cheui though; horses do good kap cheui but moose do dan geuk.) We have wolves and coyotes here, too. No big deal; I get as close as I can. But a feral dog would worry me more than an Alaska brown bear, and a pack would have presented a real nightmare to a trade caravan. I wonder if Wong Yan Lum ever dealt with them? As a bit of encouragement, I'm told that during the bygone and very illegal entertainments in which men fought pit bulls for money, the men usually won.

So much horrible info in this thread about dog defense.

Sparring with your dog is not even on the same planet as getting attacked by a large dog or god forbid a working breed with a serious hardon for you, dogs don't spar, he was playing. Get your hands on a weapon, a knife, rake, chair, anything you can, if you live in a area where dog attacks or hybrid attacks are common carry a breaking stick with you, a blade, some mace.

As for the physical, trying to codify any fancy technique is bull**** on the empty hand front, dogs are chaos incarnet, and your panic attack is going to be HUGE, so lets get real.

I have been around working breeds for a long time, including some Schutzhund.

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/picture...lldog-0146.jpg
    PHP Code:
    These work pretty good for defense against Coyotes too 
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

As humans we really dont have phsyical weapons, only thing we can rely on is our highly developed brains. Reach for a stick or something, jesus! My neice was attacked by two dogs an they bit her arm an did some damage. I would imagine low roundhouse kicks a front kicks would be best, just be careful they dont bite an clinch down on your ankle or calf, your main focal point is the mouth, thats the only weapon these creatures have.

Well here in TX. Coyotes are considered varmints therefore it legal to hunt them and shoot them. Same with wild pig/boars and smaller varmints. .223 caliber rifle is great for downing these *******s.

As for wolf, well I can tell you for a fact they don't go down easy using a .40 pistol but it sure slows them down for the second shot.

As already suggested: Get a big stick. Walking stick or cane would be nice when you out and about. Pepper spray and stun guns work. Or a bigger dog. Also carry around a pocket knife. Dogs tend to back off if there is a big gash on there side.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    There is a story about Wong Fei-Hung killing a trained attack dog with a technique from Fu-Hok...he raises one hand above and when the dog went for it, he used his kiu-sao and grabbed its throat and snap kicked it in da bawlz.
    One, I always thought that was the stupidest thing I have ever heard, and
    Two, Wong Fei-Hung, one of the most famous Martial Artists in Chinese History (ok, folk legend) and figurehead of our glorious Hung-Ga...is famous for kicking a dog in da bawlz? wtf?
    uh..nope..nope...don't like it one bit. nosiree...

your main focal point is the mouth, thats the only weapon these creatures have.
    To a extent that is true, but a dog has a tad more when viewed in whole, one is force of motion in its attack, I have seen a number of lvery arge guys get slammed to the grass by a full charging 90lb dog.

Dogs tend to back off if there is a big gash on there side.
    Depends on the dog. Just like people some are more game or crazy for the fight then others.

Trained attack dogs will often be taught to attack the groin, not "offered" targets.

Anybody see Bill Murry in "Where the Buffalo Roam?" NIXON!!

Anyway, when I was a little kiddie, a hard man friend of the family took a few of us to the junkyard (pretty cool place for kids, eh) to get some pickup parts. A big German shepard guard dog came out of nowhere on the charge. He bent down and put out his arm, the shepard took his forearm, he pulled in and up, putting his other forearm behind the dogs neck, pushed top out, tapping the upper jaw, pulled bottom in and snapped the dogs neck clean and quick, than picked up the carcass, carried it to the office, threw it at the owner and nearly did the same to him, shouting about the kids he had with him.

Teeth never made it through the denim jacket.

Likewise, as kids, when we came upon dogs, we picked up rocks - the dogs had an instinctive kind of fear of flying objects that hit and hurt. Just bending down and faking it was often enough - but we're talking about mean neighbourhood dogs, not attack dogs, or cornered dogs.

Personally, gimme a shovel. Doubles to bury it too...