Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you realistically defend against a Dog?

If it has your hand, grip the lower jaw (you've already been bitten anyway). The dog will lose nearly all of its bite strength (I've been through this before, it's true) and will be lucky if it can even break your skin. Just make sure you use your other arm and legs to stabilize the dog, which at that point will panic due to this.

I hate hate HATE killing dogs for any reason, but after you've stabilized the dog's mouth, proceed to use your spare arm to choke it out. Be vicious, be savage, and don't get all soft when it starts to whine.

I feel sick just typing this...

Run the poor thing off if you can... it's likely just hungry due to no food, thanks to urbanization and habitat depletion.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Funny, the only time I have been overly concerned about dog attacks was when I was on deployment in Bosnia and Iraq and there were packs of them, scared and hungry, and being the portly fellow that I am - I was concerned. In such situations though, I was also well armed (though shooting the dogs or any unauthorized discharge of my weapon was prohibited) and somewhat protected by my body armor/gear.

Another place I had concern was when I lived in SATX. The strays live outside the city, but come in via water drainage thingys (I forget their actual name). I recall a patient at Brooke Army Med Center that I was visiting who was out running and had a bad encounter with a stray German Shepherd. Dog torn this lady up pretty bad, so bad, that it pretty much ended her military career.

Good thread. You can never be too safe. Something else to consider - how about for those of us who live in rural areas? I don't just have dogs (we all have them) we have coyote and bobcats, some areas have mountain lions....any thoughts on those?

Peace,
    Bob
    From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

Bobcats or mountain lion? Uh... run... they'll shred you in seconds. Not even Frank's fu jau will save him from one of those.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Blog Entries
    no, but i will stab this schit of a mountain lion or a bobcat with the pair of pens in my pocket. he will kill me, but i'll leave it something to remember me by.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    no, but i will stab this schit of a mountain lion or a bobcat with the pair of pens in my pocket. he will kill me, but i'll leave it something to remember me by.
    Well...you ARE an appealing target. You'd keep the bobcat and its cubs fed for months!
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Blog Entries
    yeah, well......SO! what about those shoes you're wearing?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    yeah, well......SO! what about those shoes you're wearing?
    dems combat boots!
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Hey Bros

Im letter carrier ,post man .....I walk .....

my favourite song is Return to sender ...ELVIS and the red hot chili pepper SPRAY and Cookies

Steeve

I carry a hot dog in my pants all the time in case I get attacked from a dog. Don't ask me why.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    Hey Bros

Im letter carrier ,post man .....I walk .....

my favourite song is Return to sender ...ELVIS and the red hot chili pepper SPRAY and Cookies

Steeve
    Glad to hear I am not the only one on this forum that believes in the same tactics.

Jezzz, this thread brings back memoires.... I love dogs, BUT: I have a scar on my chest, on my arm, and on my hand from 3 different shepards. I've had a Rotweiler go after me and I was saved by getting through a door which it tried to take down to get to me. Two other scary moments were: running early morning in the mountains of Virginia and coming across a wolf hybrid and a pit bull that had packed together and killed a fawn. They were in the middle of the trail and we had a face off. It was weird because you could see who was the brains of the group. The pit bull kept looking to the hybrid kind of like, "what ta we do boss? What ta we do?" I stood my ground and the hybrid took one step towards me (which caused the pit bull to start towards me) and then the hybrid changed it's mine. I slowly made my way around them and then got the hell out of there. Another time, I decided to go running after dark on this old trail outside of a town close by here that boardered on the National Forest. I realized what a mistake that was when 5 miles into the run, I head a pack of ferral dogs following me in the trees. I didn't think I was going to make it back to my car that night.
    Dogs are varied as much as people in temperment and strength. Some of them are as difficult to bring down as a psycho laced on PCP. Not running and holding your ground may work, and then again, it may not.

Quote Originally Posted by todi View Post
    Jezzz, this thread brings back memoires.... I love dogs, BUT: I have a scar on my chest, on my arm, and on my hand from 3 different shepards. I've had a Rotweiler go after me and I was saved by getting through a door which it tried to take down to get to me. Two other scary moments were: running early morning in the mountains of Virginia and coming across a wolf hybrid and a pit bull that had packed together and killed a fawn. They were in the middle of the trail and we had a face off. It was weird because you could see who was the brains of the group. The pit bull kept looking to the hybrid kind of like, "what ta we do boss? What ta we do?" I stood my ground and the hybrid took one step towards me (which caused the pit bull to start towards me) and then the hybrid changed it's mine. I slowly made my way around them and then got the hell out of there. Another time, I decided to go running after dark on this old trail outside of a town close by here that boardered on the National Forest. I realized what a mistake that was when 5 miles into the run, I head a pack of ferral dogs following me in the trees. I didn't think I was going to make it back to my car that night.
    Dogs are varied as much as people in temperment and strength. Some of them are as difficult to bring down as a psycho laced on PCP. Not running and holding your ground may work, and then again, it may not.
    I have a wolf hybrid myself. she is the alpha . I have a shepard male and a boxer male, and she rules them all.
    It is funny to watch her crawl under the neighbors windows, so they can not see her steal their chickens. The others follow her, but she is very protective of my kids and my property.
    I would not trade her ffor the protective reasons. I live in the country,so when I am gone, I feel my famil is much safer.
    I get chased more by the little yappers, then the big dogs when I am delivering mail. I have a few scares to show for it.

Just got my first dog 2 weeks ago - a 5 months sheppard / lab mix that is currently 45lbs.

I have playfighted with him a little, same stuff that's been mentionned before: try to get control of his head/neck is the only chance I have. Stuff like distract with one hand, tan sau or bong sau on the other side to get to the neck, that sort of thing. Also up/down seems to work better than side to side - their vision/reflexes are **** fast from side-to-side, but they have more difficulty seeing stuff either up or down past a limited angle.

That said, already the littlle bugger is learning my tricks and is rapidly getting better and faster. Based on playbites I would place my chances at getting the upperhand without a bite at 50/50, and this is just playfighting, not real aggression.

I'm with blackjack - if it's a large working breed or a pitbull, don't think you can get the upper hand easily. And yes, they vary as much as humans in ability/personality, but keep in mind on purely animal atheleticism / reactivity scale they are much quicker than we are.
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb

Cool

Have you guys ever thought of killing with kindness?
    A hug or a cuddle goes along way sometimes.

lol..yep look them in the eyes when they are in kill mode. See how far kindness gets ya.