Thread: The level

The level

What do you think the level of you system is.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW1zX-FCDkk
    Don't think about being good in the next year or five years...think about being good in the next 50 years. Learn to love the process of being good, not the anticipation of being good.

The bit about levels makes perfect sense. Never seen it put that way. But that is why some systems have very few forms. They are parts of a level that build on one another and develop you as a martial artist. This is a reason I am against the adding and making of systems with 100+ sets...it just seems redundant.
    Each set in the Toisan Black Tiger system says something, it creates within you, via repetition and application, the methods and combative ideas/principles within that set.
    You might see a list and say it is just a pile of forms, but if it is the good stuff, each one does things that I personally do not entirely understand (the structure, that is) but I do understand the application and the method, just not the how.
    Forms build up as levels, like he said. You don't just learn a form, you must be able to perform at that level.

Interesting video...I've seen his stuff before and found myself in agreement with what he was saying.
    A unique snowflake

i like this sifu. he always has something interesting to say.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    i like this sifu. he always has something interesting to say.
    Sharif is the real deal, alright. He represents well for the Yee's and Dang Fong line, as do many of his classmates.

__

Here's a totally unrelated clip from a late great practitionner of the highest level :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08pjIvnvVio (Chan Hon Jung)
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mok View Post
    Sharif is the real deal, alright. He represents well for the Yee's and Dang Fong line, as do many of his classmates.
    Ditto on that.
    His understanding of the art is a joy to watch.