Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Defined

Shaolin Defined

What is Shaolin?? Is it a geographical location, a specific set of forms( kuens) , a philosophy, a life style, etc. ?

I already know what it is, I would just like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

What "shaolin" represents to me is a lifestyle of daily practice devoted to spiritual development, incorporating body, mind and spirit. Whether it's factual history or not, the legend of Bodhidharma is the key to it all for me. Shaolin, in legend at least, is the birthplace of the Ch'an sect, the place where the first patriarch taught this unique spiritual discipline. The discipline is not dependent on specific exercises or movements, the primary teaching is that it's "all in your mind". If your mind is in the right place, it doesn't matter whether you're sitting, cooking, walking, or fighting. The martial arts serve as a practice that allows the integration of body and mind, of spirit and action, and self and other. It's one method of many possible methods for living and realizing this.
    Before anyone says "it's all a myth" and I am believing in folk stories with no basis in fact...I don't believe it matters. Whether this really happened in the past or not, it can happen now. The story was passed on for a reason.

It doesn't matter who taught you your martial arts, what style it is, what sort of stances you use. I know an Okinawan karate teacher whos dojo carries out the spirit of Shaolin better than many people who study Chinese martial arts. He doesn't call his dojo "shaolin". Who cares what you call it? The important thing is the discipline and practice that leads you to be present in action in every moment.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

shaolin is small forest =)
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

Posted this on another thread, but hey, it fits here too.

Shaolin is a schizophrenic elephant with anger management issues, constantly arguing with different parts of itself as to which part is the 'real, authentic' elephant. And also whether it should be called elephant, oliphant, or modern mammoth.
    Meanwhile, I'll be looking for God in this box of Cheerios - Crushing Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    What "shaolin" represents to me is a lifestyle of daily practice devoted to spiritual development, incorporating body, mind and spirit. Whether it's factual history or not, the legend of Bodhidharma is the key to it all for me. Shaolin, in legend at least, is the birthplace of the Ch'an sect, the place where the first patriarch taught this unique spiritual discipline. The discipline is not dependent on specific exercises or movements, the primary teaching is that it's "all in your mind". If your mind is in the right place, it doesn't matter whether you're sitting, cooking, walking, or fighting. The martial arts serve as a practice that allows the integration of body and mind, of spirit and action, and self and other. It's one method of many possible methods for living and realizing this.
    Before anyone says "it's all a myth" and I am believing in folk stories with no basis in fact...I don't believe it matters. Whether this really happened in the past or not, it can happen now. The story was passed on for a reason.

It doesn't matter who taught you your martial arts, what style it is, what sort of stances you use. I know an Okinawan karate teacher whos dojo carries out the spirit of Shaolin better than many people who study Chinese martial arts. He doesn't call his dojo "shaolin". Who cares what you call it? The important thing is the discipline and practice that leads you to be present in action in every moment.
    Excellent! I like your way of thinking.

I don't think it is a "warrior class" in China. Over time, the name Shaolin has come to be associated with excellent martial arts, it is true, and there were legendary warrior monks who have tales told about them. But Shaolin was/is a Buddhist temple and its inhabitants have always mainly been monks devoted to a spiritual life. It is not at all like the samurai of Japan, whos lives were devoted to warfare.
    Some of the inhabitants of shaolin may have not have been devoted to Buddhism, but were mainly fighting men who protected the temple, the "warrior monks". Some people think most of the famous martial arts of shaolin really came from these types of people, and not the monks at all. To me, it doesn't matter.
    The important thing is the concept of the complete unity of physical and spiritual life, achieved through discplining the mind, body, and spirit equally. This is what the "legend" of the shaolin martial arts represents to me.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Shaolin means "young forest"

Shaolin temple is a buddhist temple in Northern China In Henan province.

Shaolin monks are buddhist monks in that same monastery and temple.

Shaolin's contribution to buddhism is Ch'an, more commonly known as Zen.

Shaolin Martial arts have a long and storied history.

Shaolin Kungfu is said to be a very good thing to work towards in your life.

Shaolin philosophy falls in line with Buddhist philosophy.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

A great excuse to make movies about bald guys who train guys who are only bald on the front half of their head, and have ridiculously long hair in the back.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Shaolin is the most complete unber-martial art with billions of forms, taught by the one true grandmaster Sin The' - who moves and performs completely different from any classical CMA because only HE has the TRUE COMBAT FORM and everything else from China is wushu. Even the wushu forms he copied from a book a 'taught-out' better because of his incomparable position as the TRUE ONE AND ONLY GRANDMASTER OF SHAOLIN.

Beware all you who do not bow before his might!

www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    Shaolin is the most complete unber-martial art with billions of forms, taught by the one true grandmaster Sin The' - who moves and performs completely different from any classical CMA because only HE has the TRUE COMBAT FORM and everything else from China is wushu. Even the wushu forms he copied from a book a 'taught-out' better because of his incomparable position as the TRUE ONE AND ONLY GRANDMASTER OF SHAOLIN.
    I'm glad to see you finally realize the truth.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post

Great post here.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Mas Judt.....you are joking right? Thats a pretty bold statement to say. I know several kung fu masters that would disagree with you. by the way the term wu shu means combat art. I know what you meant but in the future you should make it more clear what you mean.

I don't know what this is worth, but speaking as one who is very much an "outsider" to CMA I can only report that the term "Shaolin" seems to be more of a marketing term than anything else.

When I am doing research and the term pops up it seems to reflect a need to romanticize the subject under discussion or add some level of "authenticity". On those occasions when someone will ask for clarification, the response is usually vague and validated by some data which is equally vague.

Here in the US, when a subject such as Boxing or Wrestling comes up, there are sometimes references to a "Philadelphia style" or a "New York style", but specific qualities as to what actually constitutes such categories is---you guessed it--- pretty vague. My guess is that like "Chicago Hot-Dog", "Paris Fashions" and "Italian Pizza" the term has more to do with the image being sold than some special quality of the item itself. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

LOL, that's actually pretty accurate, Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    What is Shaolin?? Is it a geographical location, a specific set of forms( kuens) , a philosophy, a life style, etc. ?

I already know what it is, I would just like to hear your thoughts on the subject.
    Shaolin, is to me, a young forest. There's a temple in this young forest, and some monks lived there a long time ago.

Chan is a discipline used to develop mental awareness and spiritual acuity.

Shaolin Chan is the discipline practiced to develop mental awareness at the temple in a young forest, which some monks practiced a long time ago.

Shaolin kung fu is the practice of martial arts used to keep the monks in shape and entertain themselves while they attempted to develop mental awareness and spiritual acuity, which they did in a temple in a young forest, a long time ago.

Modern Shaolin kung fu is a cluster**** of who knows what to develop bragging rights and spiritual pomposity in your neighborhood school, which some monks may or may not have practiced a long time ago, but probably didn't, and the myths are ridiculous, even though they prescribe the values that could have prevented teh consummation of this unholy cluster****; or perhaps it's an MA only very recently propagated, which no longer involves meditation (in many cases), often in countries where young forests have all been burned down to make room for the vital interests of MacDonalds, now being placed a mile away, so you won't have to drive two miles to get to the next one.

Shaolin kung fu forums are an avenue by which you can either whine about this, offer internet challenges, gripe over lineages, spout BS, ruin reputations, or occasionally, and less frequently, discuss things intelligently, offer tips and advice, and post some videos to share experiences.

Shaolin-Do kung fu is the most comprehensive martial art in the galaxy.