Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pin Yin vs. Yale System

Quote Originally Posted by bredmond812 View Post
    what are standard characters?

As far as I know, mainlanders only use simplified characters. There is no need to learn traditional.

B Red
    Good point. Simplified is standard on the mainland. I'm an old guy. I still think of simplified as "new."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    Where did you here this, as someone with experience with both languages I don't see it. Actually the romanization of the Cyrillic alphabet is similar to pinyin, but not cyrillic itself.
    I'll have to get back to you on the source for that. I have a lot of books on Chinese language but unfortunately they are all currently in boxes because I'm moving.

FP

Pin Yin is for Mandarin (pu tong hua) and makes perfect sense. It is an astounding improvement over wade Giles which requires you to know Latin to make sense of it

Yale is designed to transliterate Cantonese. It is considered the most efficient and rational method for transliteration of Cantonese

Strictly speaking there is no OFFICIAL transliteration. The PRC tells you it is Pin Yin, but Taiwan insists it is Wade Giles
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I find pinyin to be much easier to understand. The only part that I had trouble with was the q, zh, and u with the little dots over it. But I picked those up pretty easily after hearing them a few times.

Wait, how does pin yin make Mandarin easier to understand for English speakers? I'll have to check, but I believe the Routledge language book on Mandarin that I have uses Yale. After more or less learning the whole system myself, I still can't see how it's "easier" for English speakers in any way shape or form. Maybe for people who speak Latin it's easier, but who speaks Latin except for Catholic monks!? Actually, they don't even speak Latin, they mostly just know how to read it.

English is a hard enough language as it is, why would you want to complicate the the learning process when it comes to another super complex language like Chinese?
    It's as if the Chinese government doesn't want the English speaking world to know how to speak Mandarin. No average American or English person is going to know that 'x' stands for 'sh', or that 'zh' stands for 'j'. As it is written pin yin breaks regularly used rules for pronunciation in English, it's retarded.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Just throwing in some more opinion.

American speakers are fu*ked. English is not far behind because there is no consistency in the language as pointed out.

My kids are in a Bi-lingual immersion school and they first learn Zhuyin (also called bopomofo) and is popular in Taiwan. It is a phonetic representation of chinese that uses what looks like character strokes. It's taught to the kids because it doesn't confuse english phonetics with chinese phonetics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuyin

At the 2nd grade, they are taught Pinyin. Pinyin is a 1:1 mapping of Zhuyin. I can't find the reference but I heard it was created by a chinese person who studied in Russia. So many of the letters chosen would have a russian bent to it. Some if it, he just had to make up to get a unique equivalent from Zhuyin.

Being American, I hated Pinyin. After understanding it from my kids, I have grown to like it as the best transliteration method. As long as you learn the alphabet (and there is a song for it), you can pronounce all Pinyin fairly accurately (you still need to get the tones). Compare that to "ghoti" which could be prounounced "fish" in english. http://www.englishclub.com/esl-articles/199909.htm

For cantonese, I always hated Yale or Wade. As a Cantonese American, I just can't get into romanization of Cantonese. That said, for the same reason I'm liking Pinyin, I'm starting to like Jyutping: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyutping

With both Pinyin and Jyutping, I consider them foreign languages and read them like they were meant to be. Just like you wouldn't put english phonetics on french words, the same goes for these.

No average American or English person is going to know that 'x' stands for 'sh', or that 'zh' stands for 'j'. As it is written pin yin breaks regularly used rules for pronunciation in English, it's retarded.
    Buy a book... take a Chinese class... Most people can't pronounce/understand Chinese correctly just by reading either either romanization method. Once you learn the rules, getting those little things are pretty easy. It's getting the tones which is the hard part.

ya know,

as we speak, i am sitting here practicing 汉字, like i do frequently. I realized, it really takes a lot of effort, and you cant just look at it and know it. It has to be learned. So what if you have to learn a new pronounciation guide just to learn Chinese. Everything else about the language takes a deliberate effort to learn. Anybody who isnt willing to put the time in to learn something new, will not be able to learn Chinese. I dont think i am being clear, but i guess the short of it is:

Harden Teh F*** Up

Peace

B Red

greetings

for me I don't even try to pronounce the language, I'm really bad at it (probably because I've been too lazy to take classes) and I feel its pretty embarassing to destroy the Chinese Language.

I find it interesting that most of those complaining about the Pinyin vs wadegiles are not asian. Gives us the ugly american image once again, how others should change to suit us.

Alot of chinese find the english/american language just as archaic. Hell I'm teaching my 5 year old to pronounce words and more and more I find that they don't follow the rules and are catagorized as Sight Words.

Wonder when we will change to suit others??

perhaps it will all come down to the language spoken in Blade Runner and 5th Element. A real universal language.

I just stick with reading the characters. Making index cards with short phrases gets me where I need to go with out having people laugh at my pronunciations. Actually once they weren't laughing

I like pinyin

Pinyin is the international standard for Mandarin. It's easy to use, once you get the hang of it. I've also heard that it was developed by Russians and that's why it has the weird 'zh', 'q', et. al. artifacts. I've never been able to validate that.

As for Cantonese romanization, I'm partial to jyutping, again because it's easy to use. Wade-Giles and Yale are strangely stuffy for me. Any Cantonese system is unwieldy however. It's a very challenging language to romanize.

There is no way you can get everyone here to agree upon anything, so asking us all to stick to one system of romanization is absurd. We are always confronting this problem at the magazine. There is no way to enforce standards. For example, if some one says that the name of their school is the Jackie Chan T'ai Ch'i school, I can't change that to Jackie Chan Taiji school. It's their school. They can spell it as they please. I can't even keep consistent within an article. Another example, let's say I'm running an article on Choy Lay Fut and I mention masters Lee Koon Hung and Li Siu Hung. They're brothers but they spell Lee/Le differently. What am I going to do - change their names? It gets even more complicated when you bring in that absolutely random system they use in Taiwan. This is why we always try to include the Chinese character now. If you really want to know, you've got to go back to the character.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    There is no way you can get everyone here to agree upon anything, so asking us all to stick to one system of romanization is absurd.
    If somebody is taking notes that is to be of use to themself, then any system will do. But if they are going to use something that is going to be used by others, pinyin is most useful, but wade-giles still works.

Standards are important. for example, the railroad. Before the standard gauge for the railroad in the US, people had to switch trains every few miles just to get anywhere. Money is also an example. After the Revolutionary War in the US, there were many kinds of money. It was hard to keep track of the exchange rates. But with the introduction of one kind of money, at least in the US, then commerce can flow much more smoothly. I say at least in the US, because there was a cultural hegemony in the US, with a dominant lingua franca. the EU has a single currency now, but since there are many languages, the fate of the currency is still unclear--less labor mobility, for example. But that is not important here.

The point is, we have to have standards in order to connect with eachother. Otherwise progress is impeded. Americans had to learn one alphabet, now if they want to learn Chinese, they have to learn another one. That shouldn't be a problem for somebody who plans to learn Chinese characters, they obviously have the time and discipilne for languages.

B Red

I fully agree there has to be standards and for English speaking people the standard for translating the Chinese language should be to use English phonetics. Russian or Latin or any other language should not factor in. The reason why most westerners are always complaining about pin yin is because it simply doesn't accurately represent the English language. So how can it be "easier".

The audience for Kung Fu Magazine here in America speaks English and understands it in the written form as it was taught to them in grammar school. I can tell ya, almost everyone I know who reads Kung Fu Magazine has trouble with the 'zh', 'x', 'c', and 'q' letterings of pin yin. The vast majority of readers aren't going to be Chinese scholor's, so why impose on them a new system when you could just use the phonetically correct written versions for the words and names?
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 07-25-2007 at 03:30 PM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

The chinese use it when learning how to pronounce their own characters. Also, it is used by Chinese people when typing. Who are we to tell them to do different. And why should we have a different system than they do. Why have so many standards?

B Red
    Last edited by bredmond812; 07-25-2007 at 12:33 PM. Reason: first draft flawed

As pointed out, phonetic system is only to help us to learn the character. And the character part is actually more important.

We learned Zhu Yin Fu Hao system in Taiwan in the 60'. Once we passed the first and second grade. We simply moved on the characters.

Because many words may sound the same. The only way to tell them apart is from the character itself.

Learning the characters is the big hurdle/challenge for every one (Chinese or non Chinese speaking alike).

A dictionary is always a big help.

I am so used to look up words by parts of characters in a Chinese dictionary.

Nowadays, the dictionary is organized "alphabetically" with Pin Yin system.

In the late 70's, (Cultural revolution ended quietly with Mao's passing in 1975), We started to be able to read some Chinese medicine and research from mainland. This was the first time, I was able to read the text in simplified Chinese characters. I was able to guess most of them but not every word. So I circled them and asked for help with a dictionary that has pin yin and simplified words.

Before that, they were banned in Taiwan. You needed special clearance to read stuff from mainland.

--

Yes, simplified characters are standard in China. However, old characters are making a comeback from signs for bussiness on the street of Beijing, Shanghai etc. And some business or offical communciations with Chinese outside China. Both the businesse and literature circles such as movies, plays, books etc.

--

Last edited by SPJ; 07-25-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    (Cultural revolution ended quietly with Mao's passing in 1975)
    Mao died in 1976. That will be on the Final Exam. Come prepared with a scantron, a #2 pencil, and a bluebook.

B Red