Thread: MA: Represent

MA: Represent

I was sitting there this weekend, quietly contemplating the universe as people such as myself often do on the weekend, and it occured to me:

Many TMAists bash so hard on MMA. They may say its not real MA, or its to sportified, or they may just spew forth gallons of bile just because they are afraid and dont understand what they are rediculing.

If you look at the current trends of todays popularity infused market place, martial arts are one topic you will hear a lot about.

TV shows, Movies, New reports, sporting events, law enforcment, etc...

Martial Arts in general are on the rise again in regards to populartiy with the masses.

IMO MMA has been one of the, if not THE, driving force in this current resurection of martial arts in medial.

While at this point in my life I have not YET made the MMA leap, its an inevitablity as a serious martial artist, IMHO.

So while at this point I do not have the grapples skeelz, I do understand the importance.

But I digress. My original point in posting this thread is to acknoledge the uprising of Martial Arts as a whole. Across the world.

So, for those guys who have been out there competing, sweating, bleeding and striving, I would like to extend a whole hearted THANKS.

Well in general Thanks to everyone who promote the martial arts.

But well, lets be honest folks, MMA is where a lot if not most of the serious recognition has been spawned from in todays market.

People again are looking up to FIGHTERS as heros, instead of brutes, ROLE MODELS, instead of thugs.

Okay, well I decided to let my gratitude show. But I'm done now.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

How do one spend the weekend?

I usually sleep and rest.

Do some soft exercise in the morning.

--

For the past weekend, I was proof reading the manuscript for the book that is about to come out.

--

I was also taking some images of postures for the book cover.

--

On Sunday, we are supposed to relax or wind down.

--

oh searching youtube for music video I like.

--

Last edited by SPJ; 07-23-2007 at 09:16 PM.

MA representation to general public:

I can not speak for schools/styles that I dunno about.

However, there are associations or loose organizations for each style of CMA in Taiwan.

branches at the city level, college level etc.

MA of a style is always consisted of many people and thus many ideas or derivatives.

Several things that are misunderstood in the public;

1. one person "represents" all.

2. one book or a few vcd or dvd representing "all".

--

Firstly, one topic we may understand in many ways etc which means many and many books can be found on just one topic.

--

If I study under one person and read one book, and I "know" it all.

--

the truth would be far from it.

--

http://photo.xuite.net/touchbaji/125...#support_xuite

there are many and many books on Ba Ji fist in Chinese and Japanese.

do I read all of them?

probably not.

--

http://photo.xuite.net/touchbaji/125...#support_xuite

I always wanted to get this book from Ma Ming Da. and not able to so far.

edit; this is an example of many books are available on a topic or on a style. and no one person or one book may represent all.

Last edited by SPJ; 07-23-2007 at 10:06 PM.

I think the hightened paranoia of the western world after 9/11 and the doomsday media frenzy are more to blame than mma for the increase in interest in martial arts.
    The fact that in north america, the violence on the streets is ever increasing with new gang wars, drug dealers, weapons dealers, etc. The reality of violence on the street for regular people has increased over the years. Or at least the perception of this due to, again, the media gobbling up and spewing out horrific front page pictures and detailing all the granmas that have been beaten up.
    A unique snowflake

Martial Arts never became unpopular or out of favor. Out of the limelight every so often, perhaps. However, there is always a trend in whats cool in martial arts. In the 50's it was Judo/Karate. Then in the 70's we were introduced to Bruce Lee and KF/JKD became cool. In the 80's, TKD became cool and continues to be with kids and soccer moms. Now the "in" thing is martial arts is MMA. Apparently now its the end all be all of all martial arts, as were previous trends before it. Its like fashion trends. Everyone still wears pants and shirts. But the cut and prints maybe different throughout time.

Much like Muay Thai became "sports" and left some of its root teaching for more ring style fighting. This help bring it to the forefront. It became a way out, a way to make money for some people. MMA is doing that for the traditional martial arts community. It took away the things that are too metaphysical, or the things that took time to learn and stuck with only the fighting basics aspect of various arts. Much like boxing was in the past, some people see this now as a way out and make money. Its a sport that can be used for defense.

With each trend in martial arts that gets highly publicized, the martial art communities benefits from it.

Just cause its not highly publicized does not mean its not being taught, used or passed down.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Every time period will have its strengths in promotion via specific outlets and venues.

in OUR time right now, its MMA

I for one am thank full regardless of what gives positive promotion for an activity I love.

If it were TKD at this point in time that was on FOX tv 2 times a week, in every major city holding big fights, promoting internationally in the level that MMA is....well then i would give thanks to TKD

But IMO

MMA is a bigger bang than any MA has ever been....I remember watching a fight, i think IFL and it was in WA, they said they had a record crowd gathered for WA state history...thats not little.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

MMA is what boxing was in the 70's as far as spectator sport fighting goes. Remember the crowds Ali, Foreman, Spinks etc. use to attract? We now have something similar in Lidell, Ortiz, etc. As far as amateur or pro/am goes, boxing had Golden Gloves and other offshoots. Much like MMA of today. Nothing new except for the marketing.

Throughout these times Karate, CMA, TKD schools continue to open, teach and have their competitions. Been that way dating back to Shaolin Temple.

People are finicky like that.

But if I were a school owner, I would definitely jump on the MMA bandwagon. Afterall a man's gotta make his Mercedes payment.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    MMA is what boxing was in the 70's as far as spectator sport fighting goes. Remember the crowds Ali, Foreman, Spinks etc. use to attract? We now have something similar in Lidell, Ortiz, etc. As far as amateur or pro/am goes, boxing had Golden Gloves and other offshoots. Much like MMA of today. Nothing new except for the marketing.

Throughout these times Karate, CMA, TKD schools continue to open, teach and have their competitions. Been that way dating back to Shaolin Temple.

People are finicky like that.

But if I were a school owner, I would definitely jump on the MMA bandwagon. Afterall a man's gotta make his Mercedes payment.
    Nice comparison there.

I was hoping to spur a topic that didnt have to do with MMA vs TMA, or Internet Stupidity Challenge Matches, or any other grudge crap.

Was hoping to spin a positive thread that people could throw insights regarding the benefit of all Martial Artists...

but meh, i guess people like immature drama more.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Aww c'mon. Discussion without drama is like talking to Carl Sagan about his shoes. Boring.

Just messin with ya.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Aww c'mon. Discussion without drama is like talking to Carl Sagan about his shoes. Boring.

Just messin with ya.
    LOL!

Ya, at least you gave it an atempt. Oh well. lets get back to the tranny bashing!
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan