Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Green Hornet

Continued from previous post

my personal fav...

Episode 10: “The Praying Mantis”

Although seeped in 20th century “orientalism,” the 10th episode “The Praying Mantis” is the definitive Kato episode. Dragged into an investigation in the Chinatown district, Kato goes one-on-one against Low Sing (Mako, nominated for an Oscar the same year), a kung-fu master who leads a dangerous street gang.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Episode 11: “The Hunters and the Hunted”

Eccentric big game hunters are fun villains for superheroes: Just ask Spider-Man, whose comic book arc “Kraven’s Last Hunt” is a fan favorite. In “The Hunters and the Hunted,” Green Hornet and Kato also become quarry for the elite Explorer’s Club, a secret society that hunts and kills people and criminals for sport. Besides the fun plot, this episode is one of the most notable times Kato uses nunchucks, a signature of Bruce Lee.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Episode 20: “Ace in the Hole”

One of Kato’s best moments in the series happens in “Ace in the Hole,” a light parody/homage to the 1951 movie of the same name. (Britt breaks a ton of journalistic practices as the Green Hornet, though it was never a big thing.) When a group of men can’t get a vault door open, Kato, that ****y *******, tells them to step aside. He kicks it open after three good kicks. It was peak Bruce Lee, and for awhile, The Green Hornet was better for it.
    I celebrated Star Trek's 50th, but missed this one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gavin O’Connor remaking Green Hornet

From DEADLINE.com - Badass ‘Green Hornet’? Paramount, Chernin Set Gavin O’Connor For Movie

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures and Chernin Entertainment have acquired rights to The Green Hornet. Gavin O’Connor is set to direct a film that will overhaul the image of Britt Reid into an edgy protagonist capable of being the catalyst for a new franchise. O’Connor, who just directed the Ben Affleck-starrer The Accountant, will work closely with Sean O’Keefe, who’ll write the script. O’Connor will produce with Chernin Entertainment.

The preconception of Green Hornet is a campy ’60s TV series (that starred Van Williams as Britt Reid, and launched Bruce Lee as Kato), and a movie action comedy that starred Seth Rogen. The first crack at a movie came when George Clooney was transitioning from ER to screen stardom, and was set to star in a film at Universal that came undone when ER exec producer Steven Spielberg prevailed on him to instead star in the first DreamWorks film, The Peacemaker, in 1997. He moved on to Batman, and the film property moved to Miramax, and then Sony Pictures, which finally made the Michel Gondry-Rogen version. It did OK , but there was no sequel, and the rights lapsed.

Paramount, Chernin and O’Connor look to wipe the slate clean with the hope that a storied, branded IP can get a do-over, as happened with Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight films and JJ Abrams’ Star Trek and Star Wars pictures. Paramount, out from under the cost-cutting restrictions that Philippe Dauman placed on the studio that prevented purchases of assets like Marvel, is scouring the terrain looking for potential franchises. O’Connor, whose filmography includes such gritty male themed movies that included Warrior, Pride And Glory and Miracle, seems singularly suited for this assignment. He is invested in the mythology of a character that originated in a ’30s radio serial and ’40s comic book series. He shared his ambition with Deadline, and you’ve got to respect his passion.

“I’ve been wanting to make this movie — and create this franchise — since I’ve wanted to make movies,” O’Connor said. “As a kid, when most of my friends were into Superman and Batman, there was only one superhero who held my interest — The Green Hornet. I always thought he was the baddest badass because he had no superpowers. The Green Hornet was a human superhero. And he didn’t wear a clown costume. And he was a criminal — in the eyes of the law — and in the eyes of the criminal world. So all this felt real to me. Imagine climbing to the top of the Himalayas, or Mount Everest, or K2 over and over again and no one ever knew? You can never tell anybody. That’s the life of Britt and Kato. What they do, they can never say. They don’t take credit for anything.”

O’Connor waited until the time was right for his shot. “For almost 20 years now I’ve been tracking the rights, watching from the sidelines as they were optioned by one studio or another,” he said. “When I discovered the rights were available again, I tracked them down, partnered with Peter Chernin and we set the movie up at Paramount. With the rights now in our loving hands, I’m beyond excited to bring The Green Hornet into the 21st century in a meaningful and relevant way; modernizing it and making it accessible to a whole new generation. My intention is to bring a gravitas to The Green Hornet that wipes away the camp and kitsch of the previous iteration. I want to re-mythologize The Green Hornet in a contemporary context, with an emphasis on story and character, while at the same time, incorporating themes that speak to my heart. The comic book movie is the genre of our time. How do we look at it differently? How do we create a distinctive film experience that tells itself differently than other comic book movies? How do we land comfortably at the divide between art and industry? How do we go deeper, prompt more emotion? How do we put a beating heart into the character that was never done before? These are my concerns…these are my desires, my intentions, my fears, my goals.”

The exercise will involve bringing The Green Hornet into the kind of existential struggles evident in some Marvel and DC Comics franchises based on solitary, misunderstood anti-heroes. “The Green Hornet is ultimately a film about self-discovery,” O’Connor said. “When we meet Britt Reid he’s lost faith in the system. Lost faith in service. In institutions. If that’s the way the world works, that’s what the world’s going to get. He’s a man at war with himself. A secret war of self that’s connected to the absence of his father. It’s the dragon that’s lived with him that he needs to slay. And the journey he goes on to become The Green Hornet is the dramatization of it, and becomes Britt’s true self. I think of this film as Batman upside down meets Bourne inside out by way of Chris Kyle [American Sniper]. He’s the anti-Bruce Wayne. His struggle: Is he a savior or a destroyer? Britt made money doing bad things, but moving forward he’s making no money doing good things. He must realize his destiny as a protector and force of justice by becoming the last thing he thought he’d ever become: his father’s son. Which makes him a modern Hamlet. By uncovering his past, and the truth of his father, Britt unlocks the future.”

O’Connor said the character has the requisite physical skills to qualify as a badass: “Britt’s shadow war background makes him a natural at undercover work. This is connected to his military backstory, which is more CIA Special Activities Division than SEAL Team 6. He’s cross-trained in intelligence work and kinetic operations. A hunter at the top of the Special Operations food chain, working so far outside the system he had to think twice to remember his real name. We will put a vigilante engine under the hood of his character,” O’Connor said.

O’Keefe, meanwhile, takes on the writing duties after he recently adapted the video game franchise Watch Dogs for Ubisoft, Sony Pictures and New Regency. He also has his remake of Rupert Wyatt’s The Escapist looking to move forward with Liam Neeson circling the lead role and Brian Kirk directing. He also recently adapted The Esperanza Fire for Legendary.

O’Connor is repped by WME and Morris Yorn Barnes. O’Keefe is with WME, Brian Lutz Management and Bloom Hergott.

comic relaunch

Amy Chu Scripting Green Hornet Relaunch
    by Anthony Couto

Dynamite Entertainment has announced plans for a new volume of Green Hornet, which will pick up after the last series by Kevin Smith, from writer Amy Chu (Red Sonja, Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life and Death) and artist German Erramouspe (Night of the Living Dead: Aftermath, Rancat). The first issue is set to hit stands in March.

The synopsis for the new Green Hornet volume is the following:

Britt Reid Jr., the scion of the Daily Sentinel publishing empire, vanishes during a wild party on his friend’s yacht. Meanwhile, crime spikes in the streets of Century City with the mysterious criminal/secret vigilante the Green Hornet absent. It’s only a matter of time before SOMEONE puts two and two together, and it’s up to Kato, former partner of Britt’s father, and his daughter Mulan to protect the city AND the Green Hornet legacy, while finding out what happened to Britt.

“The Green Hornet was one of the top titles on my bucket list to write, so I’m really thrilled to dive in,” Chu said in an official statement. “I’ve been listening to the old radio shows from the ’30s and trying to bring back some of the good guy vs bad guy elements of what made it popular in the ’30s. But this is not a pure nostalgia trip- there’s a lot of modern twists. My parent’s generation in Hong Kong liked Green Hornet because of Bruce Lee as Kato so I’m weaving in some solid martial arts action too.”

The first issue will feature several variant covers from artists including Mike Choi (X-Men, Cable), Carli Ihde (KISS/Vampirella, Sheena), Mike McKone (The Amazing Spider-Man, The Avengers, Iron Fist), and CP Wilson III (Deadpool, G.I. Joe, The Shadow).

Green Hornet #1 releases in March.
    Kato's daughter Mulan?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bend those genders

And I was trippin on Mulan...

WRITER AMY CHU ON DYNAMITE'S NEW GENDER-BENT GREEN HORNET
    Contributed by Jeff Spry
    Mar 5, 2018

There's a palpable buzz in the air as Dynamite Comics readies to launch its new Green Hornet series featuring a masked female crusader assuming the traditional mantle.

Since 2009, the New Jersey-based publisher has been delivering a dynamic nest of thrilling Green Hornet comics, including Kevin Smith's excellent Batman '66 Meets The Green Hornet crossover in 2014. Now it's up to Amy Chu (Poison Ivy, Red Sonja, KISS) to carry on the tradition with her gender-bent take on the classic character. Chu is also heading up Dynamite's new Dejah Thoris title, which deals with the early days of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Princess of Mars.

Dynamite's Green Hornet incarnation will feature striking art by German Erramouspe (Disenchanted, Dark Gods) and centers around Britt Reid and Kato's crime-stopping kids, Britt Jr. and Mulan.

Here's the official solicitation synopsis:

Britt Reid Jr., the scion of the Daily Sentinel publishing empire, vanishes during a wild party on his friend's yacht. Meanwhile, crime spikes in the streets of Century City with the mysterious criminal/secret vigilante the Green Hornet absent. It's only a matter of time before SOMEONE puts two and two together, and it's up to Kato, former partner of Britt's father, and his daughter Mulan to protect the city AND the Green Hornet legacy, while finding out what happened to Britt. Amy Chu picks up where Kevin Smith left off with an action packed mystery.
    Chu was heading home after a long weekend at Seattle's Emerald City Comic Con, where enthusiasm for her new title was building toward Wednesday's big release.

"A few retailers at Emerald City stopped by to tell me their preorders were really strong for Green Hornet, like highest they’ve ever had for a Dynamite title, so that’s pretty awesome to hear," Chu tells SYFY WIRE. "It’s always tricky to balance the new with the old in a changing world, and that’s a major theme in this story. What does it mean to be the Green Hornet today? Who gets to wear the hat and mask?"

"The Green Hornet was one of the top titles on my bucket list to write, so I'm really thrilled to dive in," Chu says. "I've been listening to the old radio shows from the '30s and trying to bring back some of the good guy vs. bad guy elements of what made it popular in the '30s. But this is not a pure nostalgia trip — there's a lot of modern twists. My parent's generation in Hong Kong liked Green Hornet because of Bruce Lee as Kato, so I'm weaving in some solid martial arts action, too."

Check out SYFY WIRE's exclusive preview in the gallery below and tell us if you're ready for Mulan's Green Hornet when the first issue stings readers on March 7.

There are more preview pix - follow the link above if you want to see them.

She had me at "solid martial arts action".
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips