1 7.69%
  • Efficiency

2 15.38%
  • One bedroom

3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Live in MA

Live in MA

If you were to live in a Martial arts training environment for at least 1 year, what Kind of accommodations would you expect?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

I would preffer a dorm type setting, but let`s be realistic. Most training is done with as low an overhead as possible. Here in Japan most live in training is donw by wrestlers and its communal. Everyone sleeps in one room and eats together. Cooking and cleaning duties are also often shared by the wrestlers instead of hiring an outside staff. Don`t know howpopular it would be in the States.

would you commit a year of your life to communal living?

I lived in a squad bay with 30 other recruits for 3 months, not an experience I'd like to recreate.

What if you wanted to stay and train longer like 5 years?
    - 三和拳

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Barracks is definetly the way to go here. You get a "bit" of personal space, and it's alot easier to sort out exactly what you need with one footlocker and one standing locker.

Also, I'm picturing virtually no women being interested, thereby circumventing any changing/comfort problems.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

I read about there is a huge training ground/open space and a big hall for Ba Ji fist in Meng Cun.

All of the competitors were "trained" there to be familiar with the rules before the Lei Tai fights aired on CCTV.

There are pictures for the dorm. There are 2 beds in each room.

for a few months, it is comfortable.

for a longer time, you may need more facilities.

--

http://www.wsbjq.com/ShowArticle.asp?ArticleID=233

Last edited by SPJ; 07-24-2007 at 07:07 AM.

Depends on how much money was involved. In America, people will probably be able to afford a dorm-like area.

wtf? you guys call yourselves cmaists? the only thing that matters is the training. if the training is good i'd sleep outside on the ground for however long it takes. something like the lau family set up looks good enough IMO.

Well, I'm obviously not hard core enough, and as an American I must be too rich, so I'm going to have to go with a dorm!

Seriously though, I've lived in communal situations, granted for periods of time much shorter than a year, and what I remember worrying about most was that I didn't think I could trust all of the other people. I don't mean I couldn't trust anyone, just that I wasn't sure that I could trust everyone. Depending on where you are, you might have a passport, credit card, or money with you, which you can't always keep at your side all day. There are some situations where communal living can be fine, but it just takes one sleazy person to make your life miserable.

On the other hand, dormatories (even with shared rooms) are more secure because you usually have some control over who you share a room with, and you can lock the door. Plus, dorms are usually simpler accomodations than a hotel or apartment, so they can still be reasonably priced.

*EDIT*
    I read some of the other postings and the description of barracks looks like it would be fine, if it came with a locker.
    Last edited by boshea; 07-25-2007 at 10:18 PM.

Campground, mountianis setting. I will bring my own gear and basic weapons for training.

I can stay there a year, ten, or the rest of my life.

What is this "accomodations" you speak of?

Training MA is not about comfort, personal space, or basic human decency.
    You are tired?
    Bah !!
    Tired is for the weak.
    Toilet?
    BBAAWWAHAHAH !!!
    Ever heard the saying " if a bear craps in the forest, does anyone hear" ?

Pansies.

In my younger days I probably would of done whatever was available, especially if it was FREE.

Ideally a Dorm situation is best. Some privacy and secuirty.

sharing the Lavatory and Kitchen is fine (if they are kept clean)

Really can't see paying alot of money if I would have to spend my time cleaning

Sanjuro Ronin ---
    so what is your experience in this roughing it environment.
    guess you've never gotten Worms, Ticks/Fleas, ringworm, warts, etc.
    An enjoyable experience I think you would enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    In my younger days I probably would of done whatever was available, especially if it was FREE.

Ideally a Dorm situation is best. Some privacy and secuirty.

Sanjuro Ronin ---
    so what is your experience in this roughing it environment.
    guess you've never gotten Worms, Ticks/Fleas, ringworm, warts, etc.
    An enjoyable experience I think you would enjoy
    Worms, ticks and fleas, warts !
    Bah !
    Dessert !!
    Washed down with a gallon or so of JD !
    Now that is TMA training !!

How much is too much to have to clean up after yourself?

What does everyone expect to pay for live in training?
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

I answered all options, any situation is fine. As long as, per mentioned above, everyone is able to trust each other.

But of course thats a requirement for any succesfull community to live peacefully with each other.

as long as the training is good of course...
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

i would have said dorm but if i went to a live in ma i would hope to have a private teacher so it would be only me