Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT- Political, sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    We bash america. Just ignore us. We mean no harm
    Hate to tell you, but we bash others, too. I don't have any more tolerance for Americans who believe that kind of tripe than I do for citezens of other countries believing it of us. Make the jokes, my skin is thick, but be aware it is a joke...

I bash Boulerites regularly. I am also aware that 99% of people who live in Boulder, Colorado are not clueless, nut-case yuppies. You bash the U.S. Do you honestly believe your jokes to be true?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

perhaps you didnt get the tone behind my whole post
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post

Everything from inventing the telephone,

You know fuk Edison and what he and his cronies did to Nikola Tesla.
    LOL, Easy tiger, I didn't know Tesla was your boy, man you guys must have been tight back in the day. Regardless of who jackknifed who, both Edison and Tesla were Americans and thus the telephone is an American invention.

Anyway like all countries, we have our plus and minuses, the reason the world looks in our direction is because we're the only superpower remaining after the collapse of the Soviet Union, and so we get the most attention. Of course, we're also on the receiving end of a lot of envy, and are judged more harshly than other countries. But don't worry though, I predict we'll lose our superpower status within our lifetimes and China will assume the mantle, just look at the current trends occuring in the political and economical aspects of the world.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

the reason the world looks in our direction is because we're the only superpower remaining...
    LOL !
    Who looks in your direction ???

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    LOL !
    Who looks in your direction ???
    See what I mean about the envy?
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Lamassu View Post
    See what I mean about the envy?

I think that, when the US stood up for "whatever" during the Bosnian crisis, perhaps at that time, you would be correct.
    The US image was quite excellent at that time, considering how most of europe sad on their asses in a pathetic display of "impotence".
    Your current president has manged to RNC all the good that was done then.

I think that, when the US stood up for "whatever" during the Bosnian crisis, perhaps at that time, you would be correct.
    The US image was quite excellent at that time, considering how most of europe sad on their asses in a pathetic display of "impotence".
    I don't dispute that, I'm very upset at our current president and his administration, but I'm even more upset at the American people for growing lazy, complacent and apathetic. We've grown too comfortable and soft in our plush lifestyle and our civil liberties are being raped because of it. Thomas Jefferson once said that the price of freedom, is eternal vigilance. He wasn't just referring to enemies outside our nation but to those inside that would and have corrupted our government.

BTW, when I said the world looks in our direction, I wasn't referring to everybody looking UP to us, but looking AT us.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

Eternal VIGILANCE does not equate to loss of personal freedom, paranoia, or pre-emptive military action based on heresay and questionable intelligence.

But, what is done is done...looking forward and LEARNING from the past is always better than dwelling on it.

Eternal VIGILANCE does not equate to loss of personal freedom, paranoia, or pre-emptive military action based on heresay and questionable intelligence.
    But it does. Our system of government is run with checks and balances, and when these checks and balances aren't implemented or circumvented through the martial art of "Legaleeze" then our nation suffers and bad things happen. Technically, we can't go to war unless our Congress, who represent the American people, declares war. There's nothing in the Constitution, however, that says the president can't simply send troops overseas and start a ruckus. Not to mention stripping us of our civil liberties in order to "protect" us from a spectral enemy who, in actuality, we've been fighting since the late 70's. These should be warning bells to the American people to be TRUE patriots and hold our elected representatives accountable, but it's easier to merely go with the flow and sing the National Anthem a little harder to prove we're god fearing Americans.

But, what is done is done...looking forward and LEARNING from the past is always better than dwelling on it.
    You're preaching to the choir here, my friend.
    Last edited by Lamassu; 07-26-2007 at 12:33 PM.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

To quote the Clintonator, " I feel your pain".

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    We bash america. Just ignore us. We mean no harm
    you make it seem like peolpe bash America for no good reason. some criticism is legitimate and those are seriously problems that we only address when it starts affecting us personally as in the present.

it also sumtimes isn't simple mistakes but active manipulation. other countries do this all the time yes but we have the capacity to do it on a huge scale which brings much greater responsibility. basically if we want the moral highground we have to earn which we've been failing miserably to do.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

lol stood up...riiiight.

so who else here has heard that the bombings caused the genocide in Bosnia instead of the other way around.....?

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Lamassu View Post
    But it does. Our system of government is run with checks and balances, and when these checks and balances aren't implemented or circumvented through the martial art of "Legaleeze" then our nation suffers and bad things happen. Technically, we can't go to war unless our Congress, who represent the American people, declares war. There's nothing in the Constitution, however, that says the president can't simply send troops overseas and start a ruckus. Not to mention stripping us of our civil liberties in order to "protect" us from a spectral enemy who, in actuality, we've been fighting since the late 70's. These should be warning bells to the American people to be TRUE patriots and hold our elected representatives accountable, but it's easier to merely go with the flow and sing the National Anthem a little harder to prove we're god fearing Americans.

You're preaching to the choir here, my friend.

There are dozens of things in International law preventing this. the very laws we helped establish and were to be answerable to.

but it seems things like that dont apply to the US.....

in school, when the good kids did something wrong, we were always making a big thing about it, because its not something you'd expect from them. We approach politics in the same immature way.

but i mean, we're all american. arent we?

I bet if your president goes to all those 'bashers', even some of the most hardcore and most outspoken people and offered them US citizenship in exchange for his vote, Im sure they'll all jump for the oppertunity. I think I will. I mean who cares about people dying for diamonds in africa, oil in afganistan, and other things in some countries we dont even know about, if you get a shot at living the 'american dream'
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht View Post
    lol stood up...riiiight.

so who else here has heard that the bombings caused the genocide in Bosnia instead of the other way around.....?
    I was there, as a peackeeper from 97-98.
    No.