Thread: Lou Reed Ren Guang Yi Sep/Oct 007

Lou Reed Ren Guang Yi Sep/Oct 007

We've just posted the table of contents to our September October 2007 issue. The cover story will go live soon.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

LouReed.com

Looks like we made Lou Reed's official website.

For more on our work with Lou Reed, see our previous Reed cover thread.

Note that I did another article on Reed in our 2007 March/April issue. We posted an unabridged version online - see Lou Reed on Tai Chi.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That Lou Reed Stuff is played out. There are so many great masters out there why not give someone else a chance.

We'll see about that

Every time we've worked with Reed, it's been very beneficial for the magazine, not just in opening doors to other avenues and audiences, but also our most fundamental need - sales. It's not easy to keep a martial arts magazine on the newsstand, especially one that's just focused on Chinese martial arts. The print magazine industry is collapsing. We must always heed the needs of the newsstand, in order to stay in print and keep this website running. If it helps you to understand our cover choice, think of Lou's second appearance on our cover as a way we can pay the rent, so we can put more great masters on the cover later.

The newsstand is a fickle skank. Five years ago, in our ten year anniversary issue, we listed the top ten selling covers at that time. What we didn't release was the bottom ten. I can't, in good conscious, reveal our worst sellers, but it's definitely surprising. We've bitten the bullet many times for great masters. And we probably will again. We can't really afford to so do anymore, but it's a constant hazard.

If it's any consolation, I think you'll find the rest of the issue very satisfying. Check the Table of Contents, listed above.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hi Gene,
    just curious, when did they send out the new issue of the kung fu mag? I still have one issue left on my old subscription, and noticed the new one was out already, but didnt receive it.

Regards
    Eduann
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

there probably reading right now over at the post office.

If they have one over there
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

I can't answer you on that, Eddie

Email subscriptions questions at sales@martialartsmart.com. They will have the answer to your questions.

Thanks for supporting us in Africa.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

8. "If it's any consolation, I think you'll find the rest of the issue very satisfying. Check the Table of Contents, listed above."
    the interveiw with Wudang master Zhong Xue Chao was cool, and im currently checking out the Choi Lay Fut Moi Fah Dao article. I kinda don't mind Lou being on the cover... i dig his early stuff and think it's cool that he is into Taijiquan. being into music myself there are quite a few common threads between Music and Martial Arts
    martial arts and music share the same principles, both wrestle with complex chords and rare melodies.
    http://www.myspace.com/punkrockmantis

Check out our unabridged article

In the Blink of an Eye: Commemorating the 20th Anniversary of the International Wushu Sanshou Dao Association and Shouyu Liang Wushu Taiji Qigong Institute by Wen-Ching Wu is an unabridged version of the same article that we published in our new print magazine. Enjoy!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The cover story is live

Sample Innovating Traditional Martial Arts: Ren Guangyi's 5 Step Roadmap by Stephan Berwick. To get the rest, you'll have to buy the issue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

If I could have found a pure Chen Style instructor in Brooklyn, NY I would have continued studying Tai Chi.

Lou Reed at the De Young

I keep forgetting to post this. In the Warhol Live exhibition at the De Young, there's a lot of exhibits featuring Lou Reed. One gallery room has some throw pillows, some trippy lighting and two guitars - one of which is Lou's. That's right. Almost the entire gallery room is dedicated to on of Lou's guitars.
    Warhol Live
    February 14, 2009 — May 17, 2009

Over the course of his meteoric career, Andy Warhol (1928–1987) used the medium of music to transform himself from fan, to record album designer, to producer, to celebrity night-clubber, to rock star. Warhol Live presents the first comprehensive exploration of Warhol’s work as seen through the lens of music. This exhibition brings together a wide variety of works depicting pop music royalty, including Elvis Presley, the Velvet Underground, Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones, Liza Minnelli, Grace Jones, Deborah Harry of Blondie, and Michael Jackson. Major Warhol silkscreen paintings, album covers, illustrations, and photographs inspired by music and the performing arts, along with films and sound recordings, will provide a visual and aural score to Warhol’s extraordinary work and life.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lou's next film?

A tai chi film? That would be cool.
    Lou Reed, film director
    By Katherine Monk, Postmedia News January 26, 2011

PARK CITY, Utah — Lou Reed has rebellion in his blood. The iconic musician, performer, photographer, songwriter and all-round cult figure brought a little piece of his family history to the Sundance Film Festival, and it proved that a propensity for pushing boundaries is tangled in his DNA.

Reed made his Sundance debut as a director with Red Shirley, a short film about his cousin, Shirley Novick, a survivor of the pogroms in Poland who first immigrated to Montreal on the eve of the Great Depression — but found it “too provincial.”

She ended up in the garment district of New York City, and worked on a sewing machine for the next half century.

“She’s such an incredible person,” says Reed, looking craggy yet strangely ageless. “It dawned on me that, if I didn’t document her, no one would ever hear her stories.”

Originally smuggled into the United States under coats and blankets as she made her way from the perceived backwater of Montreal to the vibrant streets of Manhattan, Novick got the name “Red Shirley” after she led a labour movement to organize garment workers.

As the film shows, through interviews with the now 102-year-old who is still mentally sharp and steeped in a decidedly absurdist sense of humour, Novick is one of those fearless creatures who didn’t set out to change the world — but in doing what she felt was right, recreated the reality of those around her.

“I thought about (making this movie) for years,” says Reed. “And then I realized, she’s 100! So I talked to my friend Ralph Gibson, an amazing photographer, and we were off and running.”

Though the film clocks in at under 20 minutes, it scans a period of history that takes the viewer from the First World War to the current day as it explores Novick’s life. From her first speech to her fellow sewing-machine sisters to Martin Luther King’s March on Washington, the movie portrays Novick as one of a handful of strong, outspoken women who were fearless enough to speak out against the status quo.

“When I was younger, and I played (picket lines), she was the only one of my family who would show up in support. The only one.”

Reed says Novick attended the world premiere of the film at Lincoln Centre shortly before Sundance kicked off, and chastised him for the brevity of his project. “She attended, guns blazing. And when it was over, I asked her, ‘So Shirley, how did you like it?’” Reed stops, assumes the posture of his aging cousin, and huffs, in Shirley’s lingering European accent, “You left out a lot!”

Reed says Shirley has a lot more to say, and people seem ready to hear it. “Oddly enough, a number of people have said it stops too early. It’s just very hard to do. But I think she’s ready. She said I’ve got stories, lots of stories. I just thought this covered it and the rhythm (was right). It could go on forever.”

For Reed, getting to know his cousin and the story of his own family was a voyage in itself.

“It’s interesting to hear about your own background and how serious it can be.”

Reed is clearly proud of his feisty Jewish roots, and acknowledges that the rest of his extended family perished under the Nazis. But when it came to the soundtrack, he says he didn’t want any “ethnic music — nothing like that.”

“I wanted contemporary electronic music, and I think, with Metal Machine Trio, that’s what we do,” says Reed of his latest musical ensemble, which may as well be the sonic opposite (at least instrumentally) of the signature, ethereal sounds he developed with The Velvet Underground.

“I wanted timeless music that wasn’t trapped in a time period, because her mind is not trapped in a time period.”

Film-wise, Reed says he’s always been inspired by the work of Orson Welles and John Ford, and now that he has wrapped his first film, he’s looking forward to making more.

“I love how beautiful things look through a camera, much more than I like the way things look in real life. Through a camera, it’s all amazing.”

Reed says he’d like to make his next movie about tai chi masters. “I’ve been doing tai chi for 25 years now. What these (tai chi masters) do is remarkable and it would be great if I could have my entree to these teachers . . . on film to hear what they have to say,” he says.

“We’re very barbaric; our system is barbaric. These people are studying chi and meditation, and what are we doing?”

Reed says film allows entire life philosophies to translate into sounds, words and images, which is why he finds the form so compelling. And for that, he has to thank Red Shirley — the film, and the woman.

“She’s so strong,” he says, offering a story of how Novick decided to deal with her chronic shoulder pain. “They told her she was too old for anesthetic, so they couldn’t operate. She said she didn’t want to live in pain, so why couldn’t they give her half the anesthetic?

“Then she calls me. She says, ‘I’m out of the hospital.’ I didn’t even know she was in the hospital. They gave her the shoulder operation with half the anesthetic. She said, ‘It’s a little strange, because you’re awake, and you can hear them cutting through the muscle,’” he says, smiling. “So that’s my background. That’s my cousin.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon / Lou Reed Tai Chi Day
    Ang Lee’s 2000 martial arts extravaganza will grace our Bandshell screen. Prior to the film, come to enjoy activities as part of the first annual Lou Reed Tai Chi Day.

SAT, AUG 3, 2019
    6:00PM Gates / 7:00PM Show

COST: FREE
    9th Street & Prospect Park West
    Brooklyn, NY 11215
    United States

The plot of CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON, Ang Lee’s 2000 martial arts extravaganza set in in 18th century Qing Dynasty China, swirls around the theft of a mythical blade called Green Destiny. The theft sets in motion several events, which sweep up the sword’s owner, Wudang master Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun-fat), along with Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh), another Wudang master and the woman he loves but can never have; the preternaturally talented Wudang neophyte Jen Yu (Zhang Ziyi); and the murderous and treacherous Jade Fox (Cheng Pei-pei). The film is among the most visually exhilarating adventure-dramas ever made. It won over 40 awards, and was nominated for ten Academy Awards, including Best Picture, winning for Best Foreign Language Film (Taiwan), Best Art Direction, Best Original Score (by Tan Dun) and Best Cinematography.

Before the film, as part of the first annual LOU REED TAI CHI DAY, his teacher Master Ren Guang Yi and Tai Chi practitioners will demonstrate Chen style forms accompanied by Lou Reed DRONES, an immersive sonic work featuring Reed's guitar feedback and special guests Laurie Anderson, John Zorn, Sarth Calhoun, Stewart Hurwood, and others.

Additionally, there will be a demo of Chen and other Tai Chi styles earlier in the day at the Brooklyn Public Library at Grand Army Plaza, including an introductory event at 8AM and Tai Chi instruction outdoors on the Library Plaza from 9-11AM.

Venue Seating

All Seats In - Click here to see the various seat set-ups at the Bandshell.
    Lawn open for blankets/lawn chairs
    Information for the Friends of the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival

Friends Member Seating: Front seats open to Seat-Pass and Tent-Pass members
    Friends Tent: Open to Tent-Pass members
    Sponsor Tent: Open to Tent-Pass members
    Venue Information:
    The BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival is one of New York City's longest running, free, outdoor performing arts festivals and is held every summer at the Prospect Park Bandshell. View seating arrangements here.

All Performances Rain or Shine. In the event of dangerous weather we will be communicating updates on our website, Facebook, and Twitter.

Doors open one hour prior to performance unless otherwise noted.
    THREADS
    Lou Reed Tai Chi Day
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips