Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitness tips for fighters?

Fitness tips for fighters?

Fitness is pretty important for a competitive fighter (san shou, mma etc). No fighter wants to enter the ring when he (or she) is not fit enough.

Usually our fitness regime include allot of roadwork (jogging, sprinting etc), bag work, partner drills etc and sparring. Unfortunately, a work out plan gets boring after a while, and one needs new ideas and challenges that might work better or just as well as your previous fighting training regime.

Any other suggestions on how you guys get yourself or your fighters fitter without boring them with the same work out sets month after month?
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

There is general fitness - jogging, swimming, playing sports like soccer, basketball and such.
    And there is Sport specific training.

Boredom is kept to a minimum when BOTH are used correctly:

General fitness most of the time ( including the chosen sport) and focusing on Sport Specific training when coming into a fight/contest/match/championship.

fighters need both aerobic and anaerobic training. Most professional fighters work in peroidization so that they 'peak' for the fight.

These

Articles

can describe it better than I can.

Sport specific training is one of the keys.
    Bless you

i didnt read the above articles but check outsomething called tambala protocol sounds good. its not dirty altough it sounds that way. basically you work at 100% effort for 20 seconds and rest 10. rinse and repeat. you an do it with burpees,sprints, jump rope, bag work, whatever. read up on it. i beleived it was developed by a japanese scientist for an olympic team.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

d@mn thats to much to read, or maybe i'm just lazy hehe
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

Quote Originally Posted by gwa sow View Post
    d@mn thats to much to read, or maybe i'm just lazy hehe
    This protocol/training method is NOT for everyone, its for the advanced athlete that is looking to push his limits.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    This protocol/training method is NOT for everyone, its for the advanced athlete that is looking to push his limits.
    I disagree. That article seems to be written from the perspective of a bodybuilder not someone who is strength training. As in any excercise program, if you have heart issues or are severly out of shape, you probably need something more like physical therepy.

More info on Tabata intervals and strength training.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

With all the links this thread is getting it should be a sticky!

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=19757
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    I disagree. That article seems to be written from the perspective of a bodybuilder not someone who is strength training. As in any excercise program, if you have heart issues or are severly out of shape, you probably need something more like physical therepy.

More info on Tabata intervals and strength training.
    Tabata himself suggest it be used sparringly and more so by advanced practioners.
    Granted he was refering to HIS protocol - 5 days a week.

Funny thing is the most successful grapplers I know (not mma fighters) don't do any conditioning outside of training a lot. They are monsters. One of the guys trains like 12 times a week at various schools around Pittsburgh. They both compete in advanced divisions. Crazy stuff.
    Bless you

Anderson Silva told us a couple weeks ago he HATES running. His conditioning is mat time, mat time, mat time. FWIW
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Specificity rules, thing is, the Tabata method/protocol and many others can directly be used in a sport specific way.

Tim O'Connor's Strength and Conditioning for Combat Sports

when you get through that, let us know
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Tim O'Connor's Strength and Conditioning for Combat Sports

when you get through that, let us know
    You little *****....LOL !!