Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fitness tips for fighters?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Fitness is pretty important for a competitive fighter (san shou, mma etc). No fighter wants to enter the ring when he (or she) is not fit enough.

Usually our fitness regime include allot of roadwork (jogging, sprinting etc), bag work, partner drills etc and sparring. Unfortunately, a work out plan gets boring after a while, and one needs new ideas and challenges that might work better or just as well as your previous fighting training regime.

Any other suggestions on how you guys get yourself or your fighters fitter without boring them with the same work out sets month after month?
    why are you doing the same sets? cycle them. Ideally, we try to start training for a fight at least three months out. That far out, you can break the training into cycles - baseline strength, power and endurance. Spend four weeks working each. the names of the cycles didctate the types of training done in each, in addition skill training should be done daily.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    Ideally, we try to start training for a fight at least three months out.
    How often do you fight? Seems like you would be constantly cycling for fights.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    12 weeks seems kind of long..but it depends on how they cycle.
    6-8 is what I was taught in boxing, I applied that to kyokushin and MT and it worked great.

Crossfit

Check it out...

http://www.crossfit.com

Read the "What is Crossfit", "Start Here", and "FAQ" links to get an idea about what the site is all about.

There are some free links to the Crossfit Journals that are very good also.

I can tell you from personal experience that this works and it definitely mixes it up. I seriously recommend going slow at first. I thougth I was in great shape and I was the sorest I've ever been after the first workout I tried. Now I know I am in much better shape than the standard body building workouts I used to do. Good luck.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Either Peace or War

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Check it out...

http://www.crossfit.com

Read the "What is Crossfit", "Start Here", and "FAQ" links to get an idea about what the site is all about.

There are some free links to the Crossfit Journals that are very good also.

I can tell you from personal experience that this works and it definitely mixes it up. I seriously recommend going slow at first. I thougth I was in great shape and I was the sorest I've ever been after the first workout I tried. Now I know I am in much better shape than the standard body building workouts I used to do. Good luck.
    Crossfit is one the best places to go for general fitness and more so if you are the kind that gets bored with the "meat n potatoes" workouts.
    You will almost always get sore because they are always getting you to do stuff your body is not used to.
    Gotta love those sadistic *******s.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    depends on the fighter. we do have a guy who has had 5 fights over the past year. I'll be fighting again early next year.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

depends on the fighter. we do have a guy who has had 5 fights over the past year. I'll be fighting again early next year.
    Why so far away ?

why are you doing the same sets? cycle them. Ideally, we try to start training for a fight at least three months out. That far out, you can break the training into cycles - baseline strength, power and endurance. Spend four weeks working each. the names of the cycles didctate the types of training done in each, in addition skill training should be done daily.
    we do cycle the workouts, what Im looking for are new ideas for workouts. Im interested in fitness workouts mostly.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

interval running, interval bag work, interval shadow boxing, medicine ball, sledgehammer, oly lifts, kettle / club bells?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

fighting drill circuits

at the mma gym we've been doing tons of MMA/wrestling conditioning circuits. theye AWESOME

for 5 mins MMA fighting :

1min boxing sparring
    1min clinch wrestling (underhooks, take back, plumm)
    1min sprawls
    1min boxing sparring again
    1min clinch wrestling again

other good standing bits to try would be to take 5 of :
    1min jab-cross-shoot to pick up partner, take in turns
    1min push-pummell (try to push each other across the room)
    1min thai kick pushbacks
    1min neck wrestling
    1min kick sparring
    1min back escape
    ideas go on forever...

or on the ground a tough one is :
    1min mount escape
    1min guard pass
    1min sprawls
    1min mount escape (other way round)
    1min guard pass (other way round)

swap other bits in eg side control escape, whatever... that's perfect for prepping for submission wrestling

for all of them its basically a 5 minute round then 1 min rest, repeat x times to replicate the fight you're aiming for (submission, thai, mma, etc)

i think in terms of SPP it's as close as you can get to rolling for rounds, but its more intense as in rolling you can stalemate, stall, rest, etc. with these its all hard work non-stop. and youre using basic skills your gonna need. both sides of the drill practice their part, so one person is holding mount while the other is escaping.

in that way IMO it seems better than what anderson silva said mat time mat time, of course he's a full time pro so can swap in fresh partners, train all day etc... or even better than tabata as it's more specific to the rounds and the kind of attributes being trained.

of course sometimes you have to adjust for skill/strength level eg occasionaly let someone pass your guard or escape mount a little bit easier but still keep it up just so your pushing them perfectly at their limit (like padwork etc) build skill and strength and condition all at the same time

also everyone in the gym is pushing each other. the sprawls we count to 10 round the room for the minute, usually get a bit more than 40 done in the minute.

thats quite hard work (especially the mix of wrestling and boxing is hard as the arms lose their snappiness quick from wrestling) and the half of the circuit after the sprawls in the middles always hard too...

oh, on my blog on the training and health forum you can see where i've been doing these...

yeah, those are killer. And when we rotate intervals, the person training for the the fight will do each interval with a new partner, so that he is always working with a fresh, non-tired person. It wears you the fug out.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

oh yeah man!!! fresh partners are horrible

I'd like to know the whens and wheres so I can come cheer you on!
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Fitness is pretty important for a competitive fighter (san shou, mma etc). No fighter wants to enter the ring when he (or she) is not fit enough.

Usually our fitness regime include allot of roadwork (jogging, sprinting etc), bag work, partner drills etc and sparring. Unfortunately, a work out plan gets boring after a while, and one needs new ideas and challenges that might work better or just as well as your previous fighting training regime.

Any other suggestions on how you guys get yourself or your fighters fitter without boring them with the same work out sets month after month?
    Best practice results in best result.Fitness depends on both physique and mental also.if work plan gets bored then you can practice yoga,which relaxes you both physically and mentally.