Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Wing Chun in Boston?

Any Wing Chun in Boston?

I live in Boston and am looking for a high level of wing chun. Does anyone know if there is any high level wing chun teachers in Boston? I am used to an extremely high level of instruction. I practised Aikido under Mitsunari Kanai shihan, who was a live in disciple of Osensei Ueshiba, the founder of aikido for 10 years. So I am looking for a very high level of wing chun, since Kanai sensei has passed away. With respect, and humility, Michael DiFronzo.

What is high level Wing Chun ?

And if your a beginner, why not start with basic?

Where in Boston are you?

My old teacher in Boston might still be training people, if so it is with a very limited crowd - he does not teach for a living. He is not well known too many, but too me his skill is very good - I have met WC teachers from around the world and I think he would hold his own. Let me know where you are and I'll see if I can contact him about training.

I believe one of Leung Sheung's (I might have that wrong) students - Dr. Jack Ling? is in the area, but I know nothing about his willingness to train - I never knew anything about him when I lived in Boston (speaks to his low profile. He is supposed to be very good.

There used to be some gents in the cambridge / central square area - I think they have moved that taught some version of WC. You'd have to visit them and form your own opinion.

Rindge

If you are interested in learning Pin Sun (Koo Lao Village) Wing Chun, I would recommend Sifu Henry Mui in Medford, MA. I believe the name is Mui's Martial Arts Academy. I have limited experience with the actual school myself, but have trained with several of his students (notably Sifu Alix Lavaud). I was very impressed to say the least. The only reason I am not still studying with them is that I moved to another state and they don't teach it out here. He is certainly worth checking out IMO. Another of his students (Frank Ferrara) has a school in Winthrop, called Winthrop Wing Chun Academy. Boston itself is full of kung fu schools, it shouldn't take much effort to find what you're looking for, hope this helps. Good luck with your endeavors
    "It is better to know thyself than show thyself"

School in Medford

I believe Henry is the guy who taught in Cambridge at one point.

Hello,

The Medford school is no longer open. It was located on Salem St. He had two public (Turning style) students who taught their own wing chun approach in cambridge but he did not!

Mui Sifu is not teaching the public. Some of his students are tho! In 2 years he will retire but he still trains a few privately. Public and Private students both can be found around Beantown.

Frank trained with Alex (who was a public student of Mr Mui & long time student of Remy) for a number of years in mainly Modern Arnis & basic Turning style Wing Chun (Mr. Mui's term) and has since been accepted as a disciple of Mr. Mui. He was the third (out of 4) to be accepted as inner student and teaches 1 night a week in Winthrop. Tue night he hangs out with me!

Jack Ling has not been in Boston for a long time. He relocated to up-state NY.

If you need more info please feel free to e-mail me. I may be able to help you locate a new sifu.

pinsunwck @ aol.com

(spaces for spam protection!)

Hope this helps!

Peace,
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Roselando; 07-27-2007 at 02:16 PM.
    Jim

wing chun in Boston

I cannot find Sifu Mui. Also Rindge, How can I reach you? I would like to know more about what your reply stated. I am still looking .

As an aside, Dr. Jack Ling is now living in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Regards,
    - kj
    "It's all related." - me

Tbh dont worry so much about names of teacher or how long he has been.

If your interested in learning WC for the fighting abilities, then go to the various clubs in your town.
    Look how much emphasis they put on sparring and conditioning.
    Look how quickly they stresstest their students.
    If you have fighting experience yourself, you can even ask (politely) one of the senior students about a sparring match.
    And most importantly spend some time observing the general atmosfere in the gym. It doesnt matter how good a teacher you get, if you dont like the atmosfere your wasting your time, since you will quit soon anyway.

Jim who taught in Cambridge?

Jim, if it was not Henry who taught turning style in Cambridge, then who was it? I trained there for about a month or two back in 96/97. I thought his name was Henry, but it looks like I am wrong. I remember he had asthma or something. I hated their location - no heat in a school in Boston in January is no fun. His si-hing (Black guy) came by once or twice. He seemed very skilled.

neaikikai

You can reach me at

rindge @ ix .netcom.com

Hello,

Jim who taught in Cambridge?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim, if it was not Henry who taught turning style in Cambridge, then who was it? I trained there for about a month or two back in 96/97. I thought his name was Henry, but it looks like I am wrong. I remember he had asthma or something. I hated their location - no heat in a school in Boston in January is no fun. His si-hing (Black guy) came by once or twice. He seemed very skilled.

The Cambridge school (brookline ave) was openned around 87-88. Jerome (senior) and Stanley (junior) were the instructors. Back then Mui Sifu would stop by once in a while (not very often) but did not teach at that club. Jerome eventually left and taught a few guys out of his home in Waltham. This was long before 96/97.

You are more likely confusing Stanley Jue with Master Mui. Jerome is Stanley's Sihing.

Hope this helps!

Jim

Thumbs up

Wing Chun Kung Fu Academy, classes are from 7:00pm-10:00pm Monday, Tuesday in Arlington and Thursday in Cambridge, Sifu Stanley Jue www.wckfa.com, 617-876-1982. Instruction is top notch, wing chun is excelent,
    come by and see for yourself, form your own opinion, that is the only way to do it, really. I am a student there and am also a Kempo Sensei, I don't partake in politics, I'm a fighter and Sifu's system, training and personal skill holds up. He is a formal diciple of Henry Mui. Come by and see for youself!
    Hope this helps, and maybe we'll see you soon.
    Terk

Boston (Allston) Wing Tsun

There's a Leung Ting branch of Wing Tsun at 107 Brighton Ave 2nd floor (Rock City Gymn), Allston.

Tuesday 8-9pm, Thursday 7-9 pm.

Website address is:

http://bostonwt.com/class.html

I've moved out to Stoughton, MA in August 07, been doing wing chun for 6.5 years and have been looking for work out partners since I can't find a Ip style school in the state. I'm willing to teach beginners in an informal manner since I do plan on moving back to the west coast in 2-3 years.