Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Motivation Problem . . . HELP!!!

Unhappy Serious Motivation Problem . . . HELP!!!

I just can't keep doing it. I go fine, sometimes for weeks or even months at a time. I'll hit it once, sometimes twice a day, if there's something I missed. But, no matter what, I always fall off the wagon.

I just can't keep a training blog. It drives me nuckin futts. Sure, the weights get recorded, and I make what notes I need to from my technique sessions, but redoing everything, posting it on a regular basis? Gah.

Anyway, I can't do it. So, I'll use this to occasionally throw out some random but important development in my training. But, God Help Me, it won't be regular.

Here's my latest weight training debacle, dated 07-25.

- - - - - - - - - -

Warmup: All basics, kata, and drills, plus some glute activation work.

Workout:

Dumbbell Pull and Catch: 1x8 (two squats, two pulls = one rep) w/30lbs - warmup
    1x8 - 45lbs, 1x8 - 50, 1x8 - 60, 1x8 - 65

superset with

Glute-Ham Raise: 4x8 - Bodyweight (these ain't true GHR, as the only bench we have is angled. Still, makes love to my low back, works the glutes well)

[giant set]

Chin-Ups (neutral grip): 1x8, superset, 1x8
    Alternating Overhead Dumbbell Press: 40lbs, 45lbs, 45, 40
    Kneeling, flat-back cable crunch w/lower ab tuck: 130, 140, 150, 160

Did a set of chins before and after the giant set.

Single-Leg Curls: 3x8, 4 - 55lbs (eight reps on right leg, 4 on left [leg size, strength, flexibility difference {I trained my left leg kicks so much leading up to my Ni Dan test last October my left leg now far outpaces my right in all things}])

Single-Arm Cable Cuban Rotations: 2x8 - 30lbs

- - - - - - - - -

With my leg training, I like to alternate dominant training schemes - open-chain vs closed-chain, single-leg vs double, hip dominant vs knee dominant. Right now, loving the speed-power movement coupled with a single-leg finisher. One workout, the finisher will be an isolation, next, compound, opposite muscle. For example, with the leg curls, I'll next be doing a lunging motion. I do have to be careful, as my hyper-mobility in the SI joints often causes me severe cramping and pain.

My upper body stuff stays mostly the same. I'll sometimes change grip, rep speed, or the like, but I've found very few movements which don't cause me joint issues (I'm a leper, for all intents and purposes).

Current goals - increased strength-endurance, hypertrophy.

- - - - - - - - - -

On the MA front, it looks like I'll soon be finding another instructor, as my current is phasing out to retirement. Hopefully, I can start working out with his instructor, so I can not stagnate in my development in Isshinryu.

Also scouting around for a regular BJJ school. Nothing I could find was south of Little Rock, AR (I'm in the Devil's Ass Cleavage - State Line w/Louisiana).

- - - - - - - - -

Yeah. Long post. G'nite.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Dude, that energy you're wasting beating yourself up over not keeping the blog is energy you could be spending to develop the habit of keeping it.
    If keeping it daily's a problem, log at the end of the week when you got more free time.
    Even if you never do get into the habit of keeping the blog going, at least you're working out; so don't stress yourself out over it.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Weren't you going to fight in the sabaki or some other tournament? That could be your motivation - keeping record of your training up until you fight. Then, set another short term goal.

I know there is some mma and bjj in little rock - they have mma events there that some of our guys fight regularly in. How far from there are you?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

You want motivation to do what ??

Do you have a gmail account? I use google spreadsheets to log my workouts because then I can access it from anywhere with internet access, such as the internet stations at my gym, right after my workout.

Speaking of which, I need to update it now.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    Weren't you going to fight in the sabaki or some other tournament? That could be your motivation - keeping record of your training up until you fight. Then, set another short term goal.

I know there is some mma and bjj in little rock - they have mma events there that some of our guys fight regularly in. How far from there are you?
    I was going to. Even had vacation off for the event. Could not get doctor's clearance. Past back issues of which I'm just recently starting to see a decrease.
    My current plan is to compete in '09, if I have to forge a medical document or not. I've told a lot of people I was prepping for the Sabaki after my Ni Dan test in October, and not being able to make it was a huge kick in the balls, ego-wise and self-esteem wise.

I'm about 10 minutes north of the Louisiana border. LR's a trip, but one I could make every two or four weeks. If you could, PM me the studios you'd recommend (I would want to focus just on BJJ. That would be awesome of you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You want motivation to do what ??
    Note a blog on a daily basis.

I'll be hitting this one up on a weekly, with notes on specific accomplishments, how my back's doing, the usual.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Do you have a gmail account? I use google spreadsheets to log my workouts because then I can access it from anywhere with internet access, such as the internet stations at my gym, right after my workout.

Speaking of which, I need to update it now.
    That's a good idea. Been thinking of doing this for the weights, but I only lift twice weekly - the bulk of my training time is karate. That means a lot of bagwork, makiwara, kotekitai, kata, and HIIT. Also, when I can make it to class (a rarity these days) I get to spar. It kinda sucks being a paper tiger for weeks at a time. But, gives me the opportunity to improve my attributes. And I'm active, that's very important to me.

Good luck. Keep it up Vash.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Just quit then. Walk away. How do you feel about that?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RickMatz View Post
    Just quit then. Walk away. How do you feel about that?
    But, but . . .

I like the idea of an online blog allowing for increased accountability.

I want to keep a blog, but it gets soooooooooooo hard.

habit

dude i got into writing my first blog thread as a way to stay motivated and on top of training through an injury, always making sure i was doing something rather than nothing... anyway when i got ready to stop blogging on that ias i was really over the injury i'd got so into the habit of getting in from training and sitting down with the laptop and a protein shake and writing it up it just got to be habit and felt all wierd when i stopped doing it, so i started up another blog thread.

i think i read something how a habit takes 21 days to form or something. if you REALLY want to keep a blog for whatever reason maybe try just going on everyday at a set time and writing something (even if its Monday - nothing for example) after a couple of weeks it'll just be habit...

not that i know why youd want to i think its nuts. i only get the occasional post on mine (prolly cos its quite repetitive) so i mainly think im talking to myself. which should get me taken away in a white van

Greetings,

Vash,

I hope you don't mind that I suggest something a litle old fashioned.

How about a tape recorder? You can recored your progress throughout the week and when you have time, blog it.

mickey

Reality > Ego; plus, a few personal challenges.

Ger. Ger, I say.

Decided to try something different today, something normal. I tried dumbbell front squats. The most I could use? Two 25lbs dumbbells.

I laid off from the power movements (Olympic and single-limb ballistic lifts) because I noticed some extreme rounding of the back. Also, my lower back and legs were starting to feel like absolute hell.

So, I can front squat about 50 pounds. Go f*cking me.

Also, can do step-ups again, which rocks. I have the platform set up a little less than two feet high, and did two sets of 60 second step-ups. Let me say, these fried my VMOs. Many hardcore. It's nice to have a lower body resistance movement which doesn't adversly affect my entire organism.

God Willing, it will stay like this.

I'm chomping at the bit to get to coach Ross' seminar in April, with a hopeful follow-up as a showing at the Sabaki Challenge in '08. Let's pray the money and the healthy, injury-free training precedes this.

First step: Stay Healthy.

PS: Judge Pen - Within the month, I will have a video posted of my Sanchin (not done with dynamic tension - but with actual martial intent). Can you get a San Jian?

You do realize that Sanchin is a training Kata right?
    You wanna make it "martial" that's fine, but that was not its purpose.