Thread: Bracketing for UFC/Pride?

Bracketing for UFC/Pride?

Quick question:

How do they determine who gets to fight whom for titles in the UFC and Pride? Do you compete in various MMA pro tournaments for recognition, then earn a spot? I kind of figure it would work out like pro wrestling, where you fight every week, then try to earn a spot on a pay-per-view every couple of months. But does Pride and UFC have weekly fights where you have to try to earn your ticket (and I mean sponsored by UFC/Pride)?

I'm sure you guys know, but I'm as clueless as usual.

Another question, but unrelated to the first:

Why do you think Japan primarily took to MMA and China didn't? Is it more governmental reasons, societal reasons (far more open to the West), economic (saw chance for money-making), cultural (appreciation for warrior spirit), or their MA traditions (Judo, jujitsu, and karate can be incredibly rough and hardcore in Japan)? I know all of those attribute to its popularity, but China could have claimed several of them........yet didn't.

Muay Thai and catch wrestling were very big in Japan prior to the advent of MMA, and really you could argue that the Japanese invented MMA, with Shootfighting and I believe Pancrase predating UFC by quite a way.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Quick question:

How do they determine who gets to fight whom for titles in the UFC and Pride? Do you compete in various MMA pro tournaments for recognition, then earn a spot? I kind of figure it would work out like pro wrestling, where you fight every week, then try to earn a spot on a pay-per-view every couple of months. But does Pride and UFC have weekly fights where you have to try to earn your ticket (and I mean sponsored by UFC/Pride)?

I'm sure you guys know, but I'm as clueless as usual.
    The UFC has pay per view fights every month, sometimes 2 (one PPV and one UFN) fights in a month, when Spike TV has an Ultimate Fight Night. You pretty much win every match you can until you get a title shot.

Is it by record, or do they just size guys up and say: "Hey, that looks like it could be a good, exciting match!"?

Pretty much the latter, with some respect to fight record.

In more amature contests there is a lot more consideration for experience.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

They basically take a bunch of UFC/Pride hoodlums, strip them down to their skivvies, throw them into a dark room, and whomever starts grabbing and fondling whomever--that determines the fight. It's basically a man-love fest.
    I stand on the Mesa and look down at the vastness of my world and i realize how truly small you all are in it. This has been my greatest enlightenment. None of you are important, and you will never truly be free individuals until you surrender to my instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Being the idiot I am...

Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    They basically take a bunch of UFC/Pride hoodlums, strip them down to their skivvies, throw them into a dark room, and whomever starts grabbing and fondling whomever--that determines the fight. It's basically a man-love fest.
    You're such a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    Pretty much the latter, with some respect to fight record.

In more amature contests there is a lot more consideration for experience.
    Exactly. The UFC has a one guy that makes all the matches happen. Fight record is important, but a lot of times they are just trying to make an exciting fight, so a lot times they match people up based on how good of a show they can put on.

That's why you still get freak show fights like Tito/Shamrock.