Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: San Antonio, TX

San Antonio, TX

Any wushu (traditional and/or contemporary) in San Antonio, TX?

yes, search the forum.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Did that but those threads are somewhat dated. I'm looking for more recent information/opinions/suggestions for San Antonio.

I was considering a position in San Antonio and posted this thread. Got a few responses. Sadly I was not offered the position so I am still here in DFW.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ht=san+antonio
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

xcakid: That was why I posted the new thread because I saw your post some time ago and I had been wondering what you did assuming you made it to San Antonio (and what the others on this forum did as well). The closest I can find here is Gilbert Leal's Shaolin kungfu class. What he teaches is closer to modern wushu. He studied wushu with Wang Jurong in Houston. Seems like Houston has three or four Shaolin kungfu schools now. Houston ought to export one to San Antonio for all I know. One would think a heavily military city like San Antonio would have Shaolin kungfu by now.

What kind of training are you looking for? I've been considering taking a student or two.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Water Dragon:

Well, what kind of training am I looking for - I am looking for good serious changquan, staff, spear, sword. Training that resembles that of the Houston Shaolin schools - essentially break every bone in my body and leave me collapsing in a heap at the end of class. I've already tried several martial arts schools in San Antonio and hardly broke a sweat, that's no good for me. No pain no gain.

Oh, I dont think you'd be interested then. I'd definately bust your ass, but I don't think what I have is what you're looking for.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Yeah, I think you do shuaijiao or something like that. Looks like Gilbert Leal is the closest thing to what I'm looking for until the next Shaolin monk wanders into San Antonio.

Quote Originally Posted by zhugeliang View Post
    xcakid: That was why I posted the new thread because I saw your post some time ago and I had been wondering what you did assuming you made it to San Antonio (and what the others on this forum did as well). The closest I can find here is Gilbert Leal's Shaolin kungfu class. What he teaches is closer to modern wushu. He studied wushu with Wang Jurong in Houston. Seems like Houston has three or four Shaolin kungfu schools now. Houston ought to export one to San Antonio for all I know. One would think a heavily military city like San Antonio would have Shaolin kungfu by now.
    Well given that Houston has 4 Shaolin Monks that have schools open there and a number of northern styles on top of that, you got yourself a CMA mecca going on there.

Unfortunately it seems San Antonio is lacking severely in CMA. At least here in DFW we have a handfull of schools.

Another suggestion is commuting to Austin. There is a few places there that can give you the training you are looking for.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Where are you training at in DFW? Yes, San Antonio is severely lacking in many respects including CMA. I'm looking for jobs in Houston for that reason. Until then it's make do with what little there is in San Antonio.

Hey Zhugeliang,

The International Shaolin Wushu Center has a school in Austin we have a Saturday Class from 11:30a to 12:30p. If you want to break a sweat come on in, Austin is only an hour to 45 minutes depending on where you live. My master and I have had some discussions about San Antonio and opening a school there and bringing another master in next year but nothing has been decided or is firm yet.
    www.internationalshaolinaustin.com

shaolin1:

I assure you and your shifu will find no competition whatsoever in San Antonio in terms of Shaolin gongfu, northern styles, etc. Wing chun seems to be big here for some reason but I don't go in for push hands stuff. Sadly, Shaolin-Do has a foothold here.

I wonder how many more Shaolin masters Houston can absorb, four seems to be approaching critical mass.

Where are you training at in DFW? .
    Kwoon I study at: www.swyi.com

I wonder how many more Shaolin masters Houston can absorb, four seems to be approaching critical mass.
    Hardly. The problem is they are all in one area of Houston. They need to spread out. The Shaolin Monks I speak of are all in Chinatown. Like 5 sq miles. If they spread out a bit. Take a look at the S.F. Bay Area and NYC. quite a few good instructor there, but they are spread out.

Hardly. The problem is they are all in one area of Houston. They need to spread out. The Shaolin Monks I speak of are all in Chinatown. Like 5 sq miles.
    Seems like a very Shaolin-dense area. Maybe they got cheap rents there.