Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: San Antonio, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Iman01 View Post
    Eight Step Praying Mantis Kung Fu is now offered in San Antonio...

http://www.realkungfu.us
    Very interesting, I hadn't heard of your group. Glad to see some good kung fu coming to town though. How long have you been teaching in S.A.? Just curious because I hadn't heard of y'all before. It's too bad I have so much going on already (Chen, Yang, Xingyi), because I've always thought Praying Mantis was cool stuff. The wife will disown me if I start up with another class though.

Btw, the site says classes are at 'Medical Center Park', do you mean the big track over in the medical center area?
    Last edited by chud; 08-09-2007 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chud View Post
    Very interesting, I hadn't heard of your group. Glad to see some good kung fu coming to town though. How long have you been teaching in S.A.? Just curious because I hadn't heard of y'all before. It's too bad I have so much going on already (Chen, Yang, Xingyi), because I've always thought Praying Mantis was cool stuff. The wife will disown me if I start up with another class though.

Btw, the site says classes are at 'Medical Center Park', do you mean the big track over in the medical center area?
    I just moved to San Antonio. Today will be my first class at the Medical Center. I met with some students earlier this week at Orsinger park and they recommended we switch to the park at the Medical Center. Once I figure out exactly where we are going I will update the web site. Maybe even with a map.

Real

I just moved to San Antonio. Today will be my first class at the Medical Center. I met with some students earlier this week at Orsinger park and they recommended we switch to the park at the Medical Center. Once I figure out exactly where we are going I will update the web site. Maybe even with a map.

Real
    Iman01,

Are you a student at the Dental School there? Supposed to be one of the best dental schools in the US. And your kungfu class is outside, in the Medical Center Park? Blazing hot in San Antonio alright.

... they recommended we switch to the park at the Medical Center.
    I thought I would check you guys out so I walked around the track at Medical Center several times between 7 and 7:30, but didn't see you.

chud,
    I am sorry I wasted your time Friday. Around 5:30pm I got word that none of the others were going to be able to make it to the park. I would have gone anyway but I just got a house last week and have a million things to do, unpack etc. They have reassured me that they will be there Monday, so will I.

zhugeliang,
    I am not a student at the medical center. The classes are outside until I find a better location. I want to buy a building to teach out of but I have some other things I need to sort out before I can make that happen.

Aside from teaching in San Antonio I am working with a school in Boerne to get some floor time there. In a month or so I should offer some classes there too.

Real

The ONLY gung fu orientated instructor that I know can actually fight and teach you to fight--is from the Boztepe wing chun group. He is located on Broadway near the Austin hwy intersection. Nico Lahood.

There are only two legititate groups of wing chun (if you care about lineage) and that is the LT on Austin hwy and the Boztepe on Broadway (mentioned above).

Gilbert Leal from what I understand is very good--and came away from the group on Austin hwy many years ago.

NO traditional shoalin orientated places that I can recall, not unless you count shaolin-do karate a martial art (ack!).

There's lots of fighting arts here though--as stated there's judo, jj, a few muay thai places, the boztepe wing chun school. If they train hard and actually spar--you probably won't go wrong no matter where you go.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 08-12-2007 at 11:02 AM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Also--I knew Brett when he was practicing Capoeira for a while and then tried out Jingang Quan Gung Fu (where I was cross training with a gentleman named Bob Melius). He then migrated to where I was also training in Muay Thai over at Phet Phonsavane's when Phet just had the store and was only training a few guys.

After that I went into the military and was only able to pop in once in a while. I saw him a couple years back teach shaolin all of a sudden as a sifu at Phet's latest place on Bab**** and Hillcrest. So in my mind I'm like WTF?! He said he'd moved to Houston for a while and learned Shaolin.

How someone learns wushu for a couple years through seminars and then becomes good enough to teach it is beyond me...but whatever.

I'm very big on quality--and quality of a martial art is it's effectiveness in fighting and the teacher's effectiveness in creating fighters. After all--it is a MARTIAL art...isn't it?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Also--I knew Brett when he was practicing Capoeira for a while and then tried out Jingang Quan Gung Fu (where I was cross training with a gentleman named Bob Melius). He then migrated to where I was also training in Muay Thai over at Phet Phonsavane's when Phet just had the store and was only training a few guys.

After that I went into the military and was only able to pop in once in a while. I saw him a couple years back teach shaolin all of a sudden as a sifu at Phet's latest place on Bab**** and Hillcrest. So in my mind I'm like WTF?! He said he'd moved to Houston for a while and learned Shaolin.

How someone learns wushu for a couple years through seminars and then becomes good enough to teach it is beyond me...but whatever.

I'm very big on quality--and quality of a martial art is it's effectiveness in fighting and the teacher's effectiveness in creating fighters. After all--it is a MARTIAL art...isn't it?
    yep sound like the brett i know =)
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

chud,
    I am sorry I wasted your time Friday. Around 5:30pm I got word that none of the others were going to be able to make it to the park.
    No problem, I figured something came up.

The ONLY gung fu orientated instructor that I know can actually fight and teach you to fight--is from the Boztepe wing chun group. He is located on Broadway near the Austin hwy intersection. Nico Lahood.
    I remember Nico from the days before the LT/Boztepe split, when we were all training at the LT school on Austin Hwy; he was definitely good. His kung fu brother Mauricio Blake was good too. I dropped out right before Boztepe split with Leung Ting, and Nico & Mauricio jumped ship and started their own school under his org. They're good guys. I always meant to look them up but life got in the way, and then I decided to pursue training something other than Wing Chun.

Did Leung Ting actually live in San Antonio at some point? I think Gilbert Leal trained with Leung Ting originally.

NO traditional shoalin orientated places that I can recall, not unless you count shaolin-do karate a martial art (ack!).

Shaolin-do is karate, not Shaolin or wushu so I am not counting the Shaolin-Do here in San Antonio as anything.

Quote Originally Posted by zhugeliang View Post
    Shaolin-do is karate, not Shaolin or wushu so I am not counting the Shaolin-Do here in San Antonio as anything.
    Good for you. I'm glad you see through the B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by zhugeliang View Post
    Did Leung Ting actually live in San Antonio at some point? I think Gilbert Leal trained with Leung Ting originally.
    No, but Leung Ting came to San Antonio many times for seminars; I went to a couple of them back in the day. From what I heard Gilbert Leal and William Parker were two of Leung Ting's high-ranking students in this region of the US. Gilbert chose to leave the organization, and Parker stayed in.

Good for you. I'm glad you see through the B.S.
    Any authentic Shaolin fan can see Shaolin-do is not authentic Shaolin. Then again I should not start yet another anti- Shaolin-do thread here or Gene is gonna be after my wazoo.

Anyone from San Antonio going to Austin Martial Arts Fest?

Austin Martial Arts Festival is in October, anyone from San Antonio competing in it?