Thread: Street Fight from Turkey?

Street Fight from Turkey?

Anyone seen this clip? Here is a guy applying his skills in a real street fight - more than holds his own. I'd be interested in comments from the board. My thoughts - obviously the guy is a great boxer. I was impressed that he did not go to the ground and handled himself very well against three opponents. He stayed on the move and which I think helped against any take downs. You can argue that the guys he were fighting were slobs, but he busted up three of them.

Do you think you and your WC would have fared as well in this situation? I'm afraid to say that I don't think I would have held up as well as this guy. Probably the best "real" fight clip I have ever seen. I apologize if it has been posted here before.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/625124/street_fight/

Rindge

Side stepping cars....

I like the way he postures up.... bending his kness and putting his hands up.
    Never raising onto his toes while punching, he shows good habits.

Reminds me of the Ice man...guys moving backwards, but he'll catch you ! LOL

Quite conducive to VT IMO, fighting on the defencive, with others entering.

Man, the way the attackers react when they get hit adds value, the guy in white goes down like a sack of potatoes...nice stiff falling step jab, right on the button . The other guy does a nice step over his fallen buddy to continue his attack, but to no avail.....

I dont know whats worse, the fact they were owned, or the fact they were owned ON TV

P.S Nice Female Anchor on the news at the end
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by rindge View Post
    Anyone seen this clip? Here is a guy applying his skills in a real street fight - more than holds his own. I'd be interested in comments from the board. My thoughts - obviously the guy is a great boxer.
    I wouldn't say he is a great boxer, but certainly has some good skills, keeping his hands up and tight for defense/offense, using range and movement, picking his opportunities judiciously, and throwing punches with some power. Boxing is a functional martial art, so it is not surprising that this guy had some functional skills.

I was impressed that he did not go to the ground and handled himself very well against three opponents. He stayed on the move and which I think helped against any take downs. You can argue that the guys he were fighting were slobs, but he busted up three of them.
    He didn't go to the ground because his opponent's were not trying to take him to the ground for one thing (and they certainly didn't have the skills). He did handle himself well. His staying on the move, using hit and run, which was a good tactical choice for the situation.

His opponents were obviously really unskilled, and didn't know what they were doing, were off-balance most of the time, walked into punches, and then couldn't take a punch.

In my view, it is not the fight that matters, but the quality of the fight -- the level of your opponents -- that matters. This video shows what happens when the unskilled meet someone with some decent, basic skills. Typically, it is like a warm knife through butter.

I was talking with a nonmartial artist the other day, and he asked me, jokingly I thought, if I thought that I could beat him in a fight. And I said "easily." He started to protest, and I asked him if he played tennis. He said no. So, I told him that I have played tennis since elementary school, had played on both high school and univeristy teams, had gone to tennis clinics, taken private lessons from pros, and even today continue to play -- so did he think that he could beat me in tennis? He said of course not. And I said it's the same thing with fighting. The difference is with fighting it becomes an ego thing, people who will have no trouble admitting they can't beat you in some sport (after all, I don't play that sport) won't want to admit to themselves they just can't fight worth hooey. But fighting is a athletic activity (skill) like any other.

Do you think you and your WC would have fared as well in this situation? I'm afraid to say that I don't think I would have held up as well as this guy. Probably the best "real" fight clip I have ever seen. I apologize if it has been posted here before.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/625124/street_fight/

Rindge
    Don't look at it from a theoretical perspective -- what do I think would happen -- instead, look at it from an experienced perspective. If you can hold your own against some decent boxers or MMAists, then you have the skills. These skills will serve you in any situation, including one like the video. If you don't have the skills, they won't serve you. It's easy to see what your skills are, what level they are at, etc. If you are really training to develop fighting skills, you won't need to look at it from a theoretical perspective -- you'll know, because you will be doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    I was talking with a nonmartial artist the other day, and he asked me, jokingly I thought, if I thought that I could beat him in a fight. And I said "easily." He started to protest, and I asked him if he played tennis. He said no. So, I told him that I have played tennis since elementary school, had played on both high school and univeristy teams, had gone to tennis clinics, taken private lessons from pros, and even today continue to play -- so did he think that he could beat me in tennis? He said of course not. And I said it's the same thing with fighting.
    Yeah it's the same in your little world.. That is until some big ass MF with no training but who is big strong, fast with natural ability comes and whoops your butt.. No worries though, you'd probably beat him in tennis..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Yeah it's the same in your little world.. That is until some big ass MF with no training but who is big strong, fast with natural ability comes and whoops your butt.. No worries though, you'd probably beat him in tennis..
    Size, strength, speed, youth, ability to take punishment, etc. -- attributes -- do play a huge role, no doubt about that! Skill and experience both play a part, but only a part, of overall performance ability. I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Don't look at it from a theoretical perspective -- what do I think would happen -- instead, look at it from an experienced perspective. If you can hold your own against some decent boxers or MMAists, then you have the skills. These skills will serve you in any situation, including one like the video.
    Since we are looking at an actual fight, and not some theoretical fight against some theoretical skilled opponent, I think this guy handled himself quite well. He seemed to have a good sense of distance, and moved his feet well while stepping back and around.
    Yes, the opponents were clearly unskilled, but they had numerical superiority and yet he remained pretty cool under that kind of pressure. His strikes were more than good enough to get the job done. OK, he would get killed by CroCop.
    Can't we ever give anyone some props?

matrix

Matrix, I share the same sentiment. This guy was under intense pressure lots of people around him and he stayed focused and did not go to the ground. T mentioned that they were not trying to take him down, but how many do people plan on going to the ground? **** happens and that where people end up - great realistic fight scene. This guy holds his own in my book any day.

Quote Originally Posted by rindge View Post
    Matrix, I share the same sentiment. This guy was under intense pressure lots of people around him and he stayed focused and did not go to the ground.
    I gave the guy props.

That ability to deal with pressure comes from dealing with pressure and staying focused in your training. As this guys is a boxer, he will be accustomed to dealing with much better skilled people trying to take his head off. That was my point. You don't develop the ability to deal with pressure by not dealing with pressure.

T mentioned that they were not trying to take him down, but how many do people plan on going to the ground? **** happens and that where people end up - great realistic fight scene. This guy holds his own in my book any day.
    In fighting, people often do attempt to take their opponents to the ground. It's actually quite natural (something we did in grade school). It happens typically from clinching and wrestling your opponent to the ground, and sometimes from knocking him down and following him to the ground (on top). As you pointed out, this guy was able to use range very effectively, and so avoided clinching and getting hit.

Too bad YongChun missed this clip -- it would give him a good idea of boxers can do even without the "big gloves."

what i took from this was the simplicity that fighting can be. no need for all the hundreds of xyz saos etc in wing chun just balance power and simple straight strikes and physical and mental composure...

Thanks for sharing the clip.

This guy owned the fight range. From breaking from the mob at the car thru each one of the attackers he missed punches, knees, and kicks while landing his own punches at the same time. I especially enjoyed the good old simultaneous block and punch.

good clip....

I thought it was wing chun! There was at least one attempted takedown against him, several kicks against him as well as several successful hits to the head against him - but he kept going. Clearly he'd been trained to take a punch and I thought that he was amazing - so good that when I first saw the clip I thought it was fake.

Well done!