Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video: Bruce Lee and his JKD

Bruce was introduced to FMA by Dan, but neither one knew about silat at that time. Dan didn't explore silat until years after Bruce's death.

JKD footwork came from boxing, Muay Thai, and fencing. There was no silat influence... more than likely, there was also no FMA influence either.

i have met some old timers that showed him silat foot work so say what you will .you can also see it when he fights its as plain as day and iam not saying this because i have done some silat

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Bruce was introduced to FMA by Dan, but neither one knew about silat at that time. Dan didn't explore silat until years after Bruce's death.

JKD footwork came from boxing, Muay Thai, and fencing. There was no silat influence... more than likely, there was also no FMA influence either.
    Dale,

Dan's silat is from de thoars brothers and Herman Suwanda right?

Also do you know why Dan never went to the Phillipines to train?
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by msg View Post
    i have met some old timers that showed him silat foot work so say what you will .you can also see it when he fights its as plain as day and iam not saying this because i have done some silat
    Which fights of Bruce are you refering to. Movie fights? If so which films and which specific footwork does he use from Silat In your opinion.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Forrer View Post
    Dale,

Dan's silat is from de thoars brothers and Herman Suwanda right?
    Those are the ones I know about

Also do you know why Dan never went to the Phillipines to train?
    I wasn't aware that Dan never went there to train... maybe it was because he had access to so much FMA instruction here.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 08-22-2007 at 03:20 PM.

Inosanto said that Bruce wasn't a fan of Muay Thai. Bruce said that it lacked footwork.

it was one of the de.thouars bothers that has done some foot work with bruce ..thats also the kuntao silat de thouars i train it thats william de.thouars style

Quote Originally Posted by msg View Post
    it was one of the de.thouars bothers that has done some foot work with bruce ..thats also the kuntao silat de thouars i train it thats william de.thouars style
    Bruce never met them.

cjurakpt Guest
    unrelated question to thread, but relevant to you having trained with Inosanto: ever come across a guy by the name of Shep Clyman when training there?

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    unrelated question to thread, but relevant to you having trained with Inosanto: ever come across a guy by the name of Shep Clyman when training there?
    Never heard of him, but I trained with Dan way back in the old days right after Bruce died and for about 10 years afterwards. If he was there then, I would have known him, but not necessarily if he started after I went to other things.

cjurakpt Guest
    Never heard of him, but I trained with Dan way back in the old days right after Bruce died and for about 10 years afterwards. If he was there then, I would have known him, but not necessarily if he started after I went to other things.
    I don't know exactly when he started, but by 87/88 he was in NYC working out with what I like to call our little proto-MMA group at NYU, and he certainly was not a beginner in the stick-related stuff, so I'm guessing he had at least ~5 yrs. or so - maybe you guys just missed each other...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "Bruce wasn't a big fan of FMA. They say he hated stick fighting and probably Silat too."

hmmm, that must be why it was featured so prominently in "Chinese Connection,"Enter the Dragon,Return of the Dragon, and Game of Death in his use of Nunchaku (tabok Tayok),double sticks, and the bako-the long whip-like stick.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 08-26-2007 at 02:07 PM.

good point