Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEVER BACK DOWN Karate Kid for the MMA crowd

NEVER BACK DOWN Karate Kid for the MMA crowd

Been out of town lately so I missed the auditions (they brought in LA actors anyhow) but I just jumped on a feature film called "Get Some". It's about an underground high school MMA fight club.

I'm just a background actor on this but it looks like it might turn out good. It stars Sean Farris and Djimon Hounsou as his coach.

The MMA extras fighters are mostly from Kokopelli's which is currently right up the street from my house. Haven't seen him pretty much since he moved out here from CA.

I was hoping they wanted an out of shape, aging Kung Fu guy to beat up on in the film but that's a no go.

I think this one is sure to hit the theaters sometime in 2008 so keep an eye out.

Looks like nobody is interested in this film. Maybe the MMA guys don't read this forum but the thread won't last long in teh MMA forum.

Here's a pic of the outside of the 365 Combat Club which is the school in the film. I didn't know my buddy had a camera that day otherwise I would have taken a pic of the choreography training.

The stunt fights will showcase some moves you don't see in the UFC or Pride. Should be a fun film though.

I was thinking a thread on MMA films would be good here

But maybe a thread that's just on MMA versions of Karate Kid would be enough.

New Martial Arts Movie Never Back Down Focuses on Mixed Martial Arts
    Written by CallmeMaddy
    Published December 31, 2007

Everybody knows somebody like Jake Tyler. He's the kid whose has been caught street fighting, and, being new, is a total outsider. In the upcoming movie Never Back Down, Sean Faris portrays Jake Tyler, a guy just searching to belong. In his hometown, Jake was the star football player, but his family moved to Orlando to help his younger brother's tennis career.

From the outset, Jake doesn't belong. His classmate, Baja (Amber Heard), tries to help him by inviting him to a party, where he runs into a bully (Cam Gigandet), who defeats and embarrasses Jake, but ultimately changes his life. Because, right after the fight, somebody tells Jake about a sport known as mixed martial arts (MMA). Learning what his bully already knows, he may be able to defeat him.

Mixed martial arts immediately fascinates Jake, and he wants in to this underground sport. Mixed martial arts master Jean Roqua (Djimon Hounsou) offers to help him. Roqua can only help Jake so much; Jake must teach himself patience, discipline, willingness, and reason. Jake must also learn that mixed martial arts is not about getting even, but about growing up. Mixed martial arts is indeed an art, and must be treated as one.

The film is eliciting mixed emotions so far. One man even said that the movie is "...a disgrace to MMA" and all of the people involved in MMA should be boycotting the movie. I wouldn't be too sure. The trailer looks pretty good, and I have a good feeling. We'll see how it does in theaters. The movie is not yet rated, but expect a PG-13 rating. Produced by Summit Entertainment, this film is due out on March 14, 2008.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JIiXPBm_bE

The trailer...

I will now go commit seppuku.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Never Back Down

The official website. Opens March 14th.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

this **** sounds just like that movie. that came out a while ago with billy blanks who played a janitor who taught this kid martial arts so he could take on this other kid in a tournament cause he was a bully. and that **** was ****ty and so is this.

Never Back Down and Get Some both sound like really terrible movies. I could write and essay about how bad of an idea that is, but why waste my time.

The Karate Kid is also one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I think that being in elementary school would be a prerequisite for enjoying that movie. Besides, the karate kid was just a crappy american kids version of many old school Kung Fu flicks. The classic got beat up, out for revenge thing(Drunken Master anyone?) Drunken Master was an enjoyable film though, Karate Kid was not.
    Last edited by HtownShaolinBum; 02-11-2008 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HtownShaolinBum View Post
    Never Back Down and Get Some both sound like really terrible movies.
    They are the same film, the name was changed recently. Here's the pic of me outside the 365 Combat Club that I forgot to post in my earlier message.

A girl I've worked with on other film got to do a fight scene in this film. Here's her MySpace Page. She has some clips and photos. She plays Capoeira mostly.

I seriously doubt you'll see me since I barerly got in as background after being out of town for weeks. I jumped on this film but I'm just a dockworker in the background at the club. You might see my through one of the open doorways, or driving by in my silver Grand Am.

Count how many times it drives by. I rode up and down for hours, day and late into the night on one day.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

It is a martial arts movie so I will probably check it out.

We wouldn't want your efforts to go to waste so we'll look for your car dude!

BTW...the girl you worked with...she's H-O-T.

Did you get to watch her fight? Did they let the Capoeiristas go all out or did they tone it down for the camera?
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

I wasn't there when she did her fight scene. Her and I did a student film shot at Sifu Darryl Jordan's Wing Chun school on South St. downtown Orlando but I had to leave for an audition before she did her fight scene. I never did get a copy of that otherwise I'd post my fight scene.

There's also another girl I know, Rachel (currently at Wah Lum Temple I think) that's in the film too. Definitely worth watching if for no other reason than to see her (MySpace Link).

Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Ok, based on the trailer, the movie doesn't look "great" (kinda like "The O.C." meets "Step Up" meets "Karate Kid.") and I'm not so sure I'd go see it in the theatre... might netflix it when it comes out on DVD. But c'mon...

"A disgrace to MMA?" "Boycott?" how drama-queenish can you get?
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

"Never Back Down" (Get Some) screening

Next week I'll be attending an advance screening of "Never Back Down" (formerly "Get Some") and will give you guys a quick review of it here on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    I wasn't there when she did her fight scene. Her and I did a student film shot at Sifu Darryl Jordan's Wing Chun school on South St. downtown Orlando but I had to leave for an audition before she did her fight scene. I never did get a copy of that otherwise I'd post my fight scene.

There's also another girl I know, Rachel (currently at Wah Lum Temple I think) that's in the film too. Definitely worth watching if for no other reason than to see her (MySpace Link).
    I can't help but envy you man.

I think watching the girls in the movie will be a nice bonus. (Elizabeth Shue def gave the original Karate Kid some good on screen hotness).

But I've been seen this trailer on tv more and more lately. Besides, the female factor, I think that as a martial artist, I will probably check it out just to see their technique and of course to watch some good fighting.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Next week I'll be attending an advance screening of "Never Back Down" (formerly "Get Some") and will give you guys a quick review of it here on this forum.
    We appreciate it that dude. Just make sure you warn people if you are going to mention any spoilers (that is if there are any worth mentioning).

Thanks.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

NBD opens next Friday...

Not in two days, in nine days...

Martial arts film packs punch in Hollywood

Watch out Jackie Chan, the martial arts world has a new high-kicking movie star in the form of Sean Faris.

The 25-year-old newcomer was on fighting form for the Hollywood premiere of his new film Never Back Down, having only just recovered from the shoot.

"I actually lost 17 pounds in the last three weeks of filming because we had to push all our fight scenes together, it was just fighting everyday," he revealed.

Sean plays a rebellious teenager who is lured into an underground fight club, where he finds a mentor in a mixed martial arts veteran - played by Oscar-nominated Blood Diamond actor Djimon Hounsou.

Sean said of filming with the fashion model: "Djimon broke my back in a body slam. It was kind of rough but it was completely accidental, these things happen!"

Walking the red carpet, Djimon told reporters he'd been a massive mixed martial arts fan.

He said: "I really liked the sport and I wanted to see if I could look like a fighter. Going into it I knew I had to train severely but I was lucky to have a number of guys from the sport to help me."

Director Jeff Wadlow joked that the insurance bill on his actors had been pretty high.

"In a real fight people get hurt and we were fighting for 45 days, so I'm sure the lawyers took out the production plan and were like 'get out the cheque book!'" he laughed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips