Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Grey

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    And in chinese.
    Well I'm pwned now I guess, can't say I can count to 10 in Chinese!

I can, in theory, count to any number in Chinese. It gets a bit complicated after you hit 10000.

(When you begin doing business in China with Chinese people the ability to discuss numbers in Chinese becomes EXCEPTIONALLY important.)
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

San (not necessarily a number) what?

DRAT!
    Looks like I'm gonna have to fall back on the Kung Fu Magazine Glossary:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/info/glossary.php#S

"San Da (San Da): Free sparring. Lit. "loose hit""
    "San Shou (San Sao): Free sparring. Lit. "loose hand""

People, people, this is Brian Gray we are talking about, San in his system probably refers to some shady pyramid scheme or a type of iron crotch training.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Or maybe it's anguished spanese (spanish / chinese) - for the shaolin saint.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    People, people, this is Brian Gray we are talking about, San in his system probably refers to some shady pyramid scheme or a type of iron crotch training.
    Going from the KFM glossary, that'd be "free/loose Shaolin" or "free/loose crotch"?
    If it was a "loose crotch" and it began to show too many wrinkles, THEN you could "iron it".
    (your choice, of course)

Perhaps he is using the term Shaolin as an ‘umbrella’伞 that covers multiple styles???
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

FWIW, Mr. Gray wrote in Inside Kung Fu Magazine that "Shaolin San" is (was?) the name he gave to his school because he wanted it to carry on the traditions of the 2 Shaolin Temples. His school was "...going to be number three", because at the time he opened it, he supposedly didn't know if the north and south temples still existed. So then, he was going to carry on the legacy.

I don't have any knowledge of his lineage or where he got his Iron Palm Liniment formula from, nor do I have any opinion on the matter. Just putting this here for information purposes.

So, apparently I was right!

That's funny...

and pathetic.

Has anyone found any actual documented evidence of the southern temple yet?
    Simon McNeil

more on shao lin san

After reading the many posts regarding Brian Gray, I'm obliged to shed some light on his Iron Palm and Shao Lin San school.

For thirty years, Master Gray has taught kung fu in Delaware, Florida, and Pennsylvania. The Shao Lin system contains Longfist, Tiger, Mantis, Crane and many weapons forms. His Iron Palm technique is genuine - no spacers. He holds a conference every year which attracts those interested in martial arts as well as those who aren't. ( You can see one of those students, Damien Fe****o, on Youtube demonstrating the breaking techniques he learned from Master Gray. )

What are his credentials and lineage? He never told me and I NEVER ASKED. I'm not concerned with lineage; I just want to practice Kung Fu. The forms I learned from Shao Lin San have allowed me to explore CMA beyond the boundaries of tradition: my path has put me in contact with "bonafides" like C.C. Chen, Tony Yang, Leung Shum, Nick Scrima, Li Deyeng, and many others. None of them had any problems with my kung fu.

For several years now, I've read this forum. I know many of you by your threads and posts, but beyond that I don't know your skill levels or abilities. Some of you seem to have good knowledge and are willing to share. Others of you merely exist to blow off other stylists. In any event, it's easy to speak ill of someone you don't know, but that doesn't make you a better person for it. I can tell you that Master Gray lives life as he sees it, and doesn't seek to exploit others.

Master Gray is currently in semi-retirement. He still teaches Iron Palm, but the Shao Lin San school is not active. It has, however, evolved here in Florida under the direction of Shr Fu Ross Kellin, who has taken the curriculum and added his knowledge of Shuia Jiao and BJJ to the mix to create a stronger course of kung fu instruction.

You can play the "my kung fu is better than your kung fu" card 'till your hand falls off.
    It is because of Master Brian Gray that CMA came into my life and I am grateful to him for it.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    out of curiousity, could you list the names of the forms you learned from Sifu Gray?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by hungheikwan View Post
    After reading the many posts regarding Brian Gray, I'm obliged to shed some light on his Iron Palm and Shao Lin San school.

For thirty years, Master Gray has taught kung fu in Delaware, Florida, and Pennsylvania. The Shao Lin system contains Longfist, Tiger, Mantis, Crane and many weapons forms. His Iron Palm technique is genuine - no spacers. He holds a conference every year which attracts those interested in martial arts as well as those who aren't. ( You can see one of those students, Damien Fe****o, on Youtube demonstrating the breaking techniques he learned from Master Gray. )

What are his credentials and lineage? He never told me and I NEVER ASKED. I'm not concerned with lineage; I just want to practice Kung Fu. The forms I learned from Shao Lin San have allowed me to explore CMA beyond the boundaries of tradition: my path has put me in contact with "bonafides" like C.C. Chen, Tony Yang, Leung Shum, Nick Scrima, Li Deyeng, and many others. None of them had any problems with my kung fu.

For several years now, I've read this forum. I know many of you by your threads and posts, but beyond that I don't know your skill levels or abilities. Some of you seem to have good knowledge and are willing to share. Others of you merely exist to blow off other stylists. In any event, it's easy to speak ill of someone you don't know, but that doesn't make you a better person for it. I can tell you that Master Gray lives life as he sees it, and doesn't seek to exploit others.

Master Gray is currently in semi-retirement. He still teaches Iron Palm, but the Shao Lin San school is not active. It has, however, evolved here in Florida under the direction of Shr Fu Ross Kellin, who has taken the curriculum and added his knowledge of Shuia Jiao and BJJ to the mix to create a stronger course of kung fu instruction.

You can play the "my kung fu is better than your kung fu" card 'till your hand falls off.
    It is because of Master Brian Gray that CMA came into my life and I am grateful to him for it.
    Very good post and well said.

so you learned from "the father of iron palm in america"...great....shut me up and post a youtube video of you breaking 6 patio blocks, no spacers, not baked, no fault lines cut into them, no towel to protect your "iron hand". just a clean break.

if not 6 then 5, if not 5 then 4, going down to three would be honorable. if you do that then you'll have shown more than baldy.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewarrior67 View Post
    so you learned from "the father of iron palm in america"...great....shut me up and post a youtube video of you breaking 6 patio blocks, no spacers, not baked, no fault lines cut into them, no towel to protect your "iron hand". just a clean break.

if not 6 then 5, if not 5 then 4, going down to three would be honorable. if you do that then you'll have shown more than baldy.
    You know, when I first started IP, I was told no towel by some and towel by others.
    I never used a towel because I thought it was weak.
    Then I cut up my thumb knuckle on the aggregate of a patio block while breaking it and had back off from training.
    Dale Dugas, who was invaluable in his advice as always, suggested a thin little hand towel or wash cloth, not thich, just like a dish cloth really and I have never cut myself since.

I grew up less than a mile from Brian. His brother used to work for me. I can assure you he is a complete charletan with almost no skills. He's one of those blowhards that likes to make death threats and not show up. If he had any formal trainig at all it was as a very young child. Most likely he used comic books as training manuals. He used to do the tear the phone book thing to impress kids. I figured that trick out in less than two days.