Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You know, when I first started IP, I was told no towel by some and towel by others.
    I never used a towel because I thought it was weak.
    Then I cut up my thumb knuckle on the aggregate of a patio block while breaking it and had back off from training.
    Dale Dugas, who was invaluable in his advice as always, suggested a thin little hand towel or wash cloth, not thich, just like a dish cloth really and I have never cut myself since.
    towels....i dont know....they definately give the appearance of deception....i would definatley not use them.

what's a few cuts to a tough guy like you sanjuro

Quote Originally Posted by stonewarrior67 View Post
    towels....i dont know....they definately give the appearance of deception....i would definatley not use them.

what's a few cuts to a tough guy like you sanjuro
    LOL !
    Point taken, though putting jow on a cut is never a good thing, LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I still want to see a list of some of the forms they teach.
    In many cases, it is an indication of the source.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

omg dat guy rooks so good wher can i learn?
    ololololololoolllololol

shaolin san isnt even a coherent phrase in chinese lol and he charges thousands of dollars for private lessons and seminars what a poosy lolol
    Last edited by bawang; 01-22-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I still want to see a list of some of the forms they teach.
    In many cases, it is an indication of the source.
    As a teen there would have been nothing available for Brian to study. The closest thing in the late sixties early seventies was Jhun Rhee's Tai Kwon Do in DC over twenty miles away.

Not to derail the thread but by the early 70's Dean Chin, Hoy lee, Willy Lin, and a couple Tai Chi instructors were already teaching in and around the district. I know it's slim pickings, but there was a few. Otherwise, Thompkins Karate, Jhoon Rhee, and Kim's Karate abound.

I sort of hate to add to the pile on (ok, no I don't, I don't care about adding to this thread)

A classmate of mine (who may jump in whenever he feels like it) met Brian Gray (Grey?) in the old Bak Lei Tat (when it was downstairs) in Chinatown a long time ago. At the time, my classmate was genuinely interested in what Brian may have had to offer and had a friendly conversation with him. HOWEVER, when it came to "what do you actually teach" or "who did you actually study with" those questions were always avoided and there were clear attempts to change the conversation. That should be a sign to most people
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    LOL !
    Point taken, though putting jow on a cut is never a good thing, LOL !
    you're so right...every winter one or both of my thumbs would split from the winter weather in ohio....danggggg did that burn....i used plenty of that liquid that forms a protective coating over the splits and even though i'd apply it heavy that medicine would find a way in there and burn!

ya know another thing about that gray or grey guy that no one touched on is...his articles in that rag inside kung fu wreaked of bs. a prudent person did not need to know one iota about iron palm to tell that he knew nothing and was a charlatan. father of iron palm in america...right...and i'm the king of siam.

Maybe he learned from the old Lee Ying Arng tapes? lol

although, maybe not....

IP is a fairly standard practice.

the key is you gotta practice it!

i prefer the indirect method myself. was never big on the urns, always prefered the beans/stones/shot bags
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I have had issues with Gray.

Direct training is very dangerous no matter the medium you train with. His books talked about training with iron ore, and then making sure that the liniment was mixed with the iron ore dust in your hand to create the iron palm.

Not only is absorbing excess iron into your body through your hands/skin a health risk, inhaling iron ore dust into your lungs is a very serious health risk, and should not be done, ever.

Inhaling dust from mung beans or iron/steel shot is not good for you in any form.

anyone training should place their medium in bags to minimize if not inhibit this danger.

Gray loves to threaten to sue you when you mention his name and his rather lack of spine when it comes to being transparent when it comes to his lineage.

Funny, that you see his students breaking but not the man himself. That speaks volumes.

Anyone see his recent ehow articles?
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewarrior67 View Post
    you're so right...every winter one or both of my thumbs would split from the winter weather in ohio....danggggg did that burn....i used plenty of that liquid that forms a protective coating over the splits and even though i'd apply it heavy that medicine would find a way in there and burn!

ya know another thing about that gray or grey guy that no one touched on is...his articles in that rag inside kung fu wreaked of bs. a prudent person did not need to know one iota about iron palm to tell that he knew nothing and was a charlatan. father of iron palm in america...right...and i'm the king of siam.
    You are?
    Hey, I've been meaning to ask you, Your Highness, what's with all the Thai She-males ????

The other issue is also the ingredients in the Jow, some of them are not ones you want getting into your bloodstream...

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    I have had issues with Gray.

Direct training is very dangerous no matter the medium you train with. His books talked about training with iron ore, and then making sure that the liniment was mixed with the iron ore dust in your hand to create the iron palm.

Not only is absorbing excess iron into your body through your hands/skin a health risk, inhaling iron ore dust into your lungs is a very serious health risk, and should not be done, ever.

Inhaling dust from mung beans or iron/steel shot is not good for you in any form.

anyone training should place their medium in bags to minimize if not inhibit this danger.

Gray loves to threaten to sue you when you mention his name and his rather lack of spine when it comes to being transparent when it comes to his lineage.

Funny, that you see his students breaking but not the man himself. That speaks volumes.

Anyone see his recent ehow articles?
    I didn't know he advocated that.
    Sheesh, and that was in his book ???
    Glad I never bought any of his stuff.

the direct method is known to cause damage to the hands, but produces the result faster.

I personally wasn't interested in the health risks as Dale mentions.

the use of river stone is probably the safest way to progress in the direct method and the use of iron filings is the least safe.

a lined canvas bag should hold your medium so as to not throw up dust that you inhale.

lead shot is a no-no, copper bbs or iron shot is preferred at the end stage.

I don't know what anyone else does to maintain, but I keep a mung bean bag for myself and will do a month of water striking in the summer months.

here's something interesting of note though in regards to maintenance.

I stopped for a year and in the spring as I was gardening, I was vigorously digging into hard earth and the spade tore my skin, I peeled it and virtually my entire palm came off in a huge callous. BUt my hand did not feel calloused and I hadn't even been aware of the thickness of the skin.

That was interesting. lol.

Healing was super fast and i went back to slapping the bag within 2 weeks.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    the direct method is known to cause damage to the hands, but produces the result faster.

I personally wasn't interested in the health risks as Dale mentions.

the use of river stone is probably the safest way to progress in the direct method and the use of iron filings is the least safe.

a lined canvas bag should hold your medium so as to not throw up dust that you inhale.

lead shot is a no-no, copper bbs or iron shot is preferred at the end stage.

I don't know what anyone else does to maintain, but I keep a mung bean bag for myself and will do a month of water striking in the summer months.

here's something interesting of note though in regards to maintenance.

I stopped for a year and in the spring as I was gardening, I was vigorously digging into hard earth and the spade tore my skin, I peeled it and virtually my entire palm came off in a huge callous. BUt my hand did not feel calloused and I hadn't even been aware of the thickness of the skin.

That was interesting. lol.

Healing was super fast and i went back to slapping the bag within 2 weeks.
    If you can get a PVC lined bag, you should get it, even at the extra cost.
    As for lead, I think that if a person has no lined bag, forget lead and stick to steel, if they do have a lined bag there are advantages to lead, but it isn't a "must".
    A good Jow is a must and Dale's Jow is top notch and very well priced.

Quote Originally Posted by X_plosion View Post
    FWIW, Mr. Gray wrote in Inside Kung Fu Magazine that "Shaolin San" is (was?) the name he gave to his school because he wanted it to carry on the traditions of the 2 Shaolin Temples. His school was "...going to be number three",
    That is rather pretentious.

And isn´t he rather young to be a "Grand" master?

I had a look at his site and it screams McKung fu or is it Mc Iron Palm?

The mans seems to embody everything that is wrong with TCMAs nowadays.

Seriously guys this "discussion" ain´t worth discussing!