View Poll Results: Why do you train Wing Chun?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mainly because I enjoy the training; I have no "great fighter" delusions.

3 17.65%
  • Mainly because I want some self defense benefit but I have no "great fighter" delusions.

1 5.88%
  • Mainly because I want to be a "great fighter" for whatever the reason.

2 11.76%
  • Mainly for the camaraderie and frendships; I have no "great fighter" delusions.

0 0%
  • Mainly for some of all of the above; I have no "great fighter" delusions.

8 47.06%
  • Mainly because my mother makes me...or none of the above...

3 17.65%

Thread: Why do you train Wing Chun?

Why do you train Wing Chun?

Lots of discussion of why folks train and what works and what doesn't for whom, etc..

But why do you train, what are your goals?

This is a completely anonymous poll.

And please note "great fighter" could also mean "good fighter" meaning the best you can be--it's all relative...

Feel free to post why you train in more detail here or to give a reason not listed...
    Last edited by YungChun; 08-02-2007 at 05:17 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Pretty lop-sided poll.

How 'come there isn't an 'All of the above and I want to be a good fighter.' selection???
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    Pretty lop-sided poll.

How 'come there isn't an 'All of the above and I want to be a good fighter.' selection???

Sorry... My bad... But you're free to put it here..

My thinking is that if your focus is really to be the very best fighter you can be--a very serious and tough goal IMO--that THAT over shadows the rest of the reasons..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

To be as physicaly and mentaly sharp as can be.

To master and be aware of myself.

Because I wanna be the best fighter I can be .

Because it's methods are sound.

Habit.

When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

So as to have a neverending supply of vociferous internet flame wars in which to participate.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Why wing chun?

Like Mt Everest and Annapurna- it is there.

joy chaudhuri

To be able to fight my way out of a bad situation

To be a part of something older and bigger than myself

To teach others so I can keep training

To grow in the way the art leads me

Talking

It bets bowling on Tues and Thrs nights, I never liked renting those shoes

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Sorry... My bad... But you're free to put it here..

My thinking is that if your focus is really to be the very best fighter you can be--a very serious and tough goal IMO--that THAT over shadows the rest of the reasons..
    I don't see how.

Wanting to be good at fighting over shadows enjoyment of training?...frienship and comraderie?...

Or, this is the best, wanting to be good at fighting overshadows self defence benefit. (say that to yourself out loud a few times and think about it)

The only thing I can see is self-imposed limitations, nothing is stopping a person from 'all of the above' and 'being a good fighter' except themselves.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    I don't see how.

Wanting to be good at fighting over shadows enjoyment of training?...frienship and comraderie?...

Or, this is the best, wanting to be good at fighting overshadows self defence benefit. (say that to yourself out loud a few times and think about it)

The only thing I can see is self-imposed limitations, nothing is stopping a person from 'all of the above' and 'being a good fighter' except themselves.
    You don't have to agree I was explaining MY thinking...

And I didn't say "good" whatever that may be.. The best you can be means major dedication, sacrifice, pain...etc.. Yes IMO at this level, like a professional fighter trains, it's not about "fun"....it's more about work...to be the best you can be... Which isn't the same as "the best I can be given my two hours of training per week."

And "some self defense ability" usually means marginal SD ability....

The poll isn't perfect and if I had it to do over I would add other things.. So feel free to start your own poll.
    Last edited by YungChun; 08-03-2007 at 08:09 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

I do WCK for the same reasons I do BJJ -- because it's fun, I enjoy the competition, the challenges, they help me remain fit, active, etc. --in other words, for the same reasons most people do sports. I just happen to like combative sports. Maybe it's my nature?

I know that I'll never be a great fighter. I'm too old, not that talented, don't have the amount of drive required to become great, etc. But I do want to develop as best I can with the amount of time, energy, etc. that I can put into these things. Why? Because the better you are, the more fun you can have! The more interesting the challenges, the better the competition, etc. It's the same with all sports. The better your golf game gets, the more you enjoy the game, the greater the challenges, etc.

Since I am never going to be a great fighter, does that mean I shouldn't be concerned with really developing skill in BJJ or WCK? Of course not. The trouble is that training wing chun (forms, drills, etc.) is not doing WCK, it is not playing the game. It's like doing golf forms, doing golf drills and never really playing golf!

Say it ain't so....

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    I know that I'll never be a great fighter. I'm too old, not that talented, don't have the amount of drive required to become great, etc. But I do want to develop as best I can ....
    Terrence,
    False-modesty doesn't suit you. You must be a great fighter based on all of your posts. I look forward to seeing that skill displayed at some point in the future.

Bill