Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Push' as technique

bustr Guest

The Push?

In the dynamic application of this technique do you round your back and tuck you buttocks or do you square up in a front stance the way it is taught in the form? I've always rounded my back. I recently started training in Yang TaiChiChuan and was taught to practice this technique in a front stance.

Thanks

Bustr

Sam Wiley Guest
    Bustr,
    I'm not sure if I understand the phrase "square up in a front stance," but yes, you should be rounding your back a bit for power when doing the form. This is the same way it would be done for real. However, pushing someone in a fight is not recommended as it does not do a whole lot except make them mad. Your hands should strike more than push. As far as stance when actually using it, I would recommend the front sitting bow and arrow stance for power, so that even if you cannot yet fa-jing, you can still at least get good physiacl power.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
    I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."

-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice

TheBigToad Guest
    Butr,

Yes, rounding the back is ok but the majority of the action will come from the usage of the legs and directing it through the hands.

Yes, the push a valid technique just greatly depends on how you use it which is why it is best to get information from people who have experience in such things.

The push is just that, a push. In working in private security I've used this same method to put people into walls and follow up with something else or to send people down flights of stairs, send people into other incoming attackers and over a ledge.

A friend of mine who just came back from Russia and was working a high level executive security team and a wu style taiji player for 20 years has video of him using a roll back and press to send an individual into the path of an on coming car..
    -Kevin

I am the big toad and this is my pond.

push hands

Do all the major taiji styles have prearanged paterns/partner drills for introducing students to push hands?

I don't know about the other tai chi styles, but Wu style has prearanged paterns/partner drills for introducing students to push hands. First the single hand push hands. Then then the double hand push hands. Your wrist is in contact with your opponent's wrist, while your other hand is controlling the opponent's elbow. There is also push hands with stepping. After this, the push hands becomes more spontaneous (freestyle).
    Defend where there is no attack; attack where there is no defense.

Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.

Classical Yang takes a similar approach. We also do dynamic push hands as a power building exercise.
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

'Push' as technique

The push hands thread got me thinking about this one. I've never seen 'Push' used as a technique outside of a few Chinese arts. Personally, I like it. It's not a fight ender, but it can be used tactically inside a clinch. Almost like a teep, but I've used it one I felt I was about to get tossed. It also tends to surprise the other guy cause it's unexpected. Anyone else got thoughts on this? DOes it have value, is it a waste of time?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    The push hands thread got me thinking about this one. I've never seen 'Push' used as a technique outside of a few Chinese arts. Personally, I like it. It's not a fight ender, but it can be used tactically inside a clinch. Almost like a teep, but I've used it one I felt I was about to get tossed. It also tends to surprise the other guy cause it's unexpected. Anyone else got thoughts on this? DOes it have value, is it a waste of time?
    You need to get out more, pushing is a tactic in a LOT of traditions

of course, they don't do prearranged ritualastic pre set structures like Taiji does, TCMA seems prone to trying to capture fluid and live motion into static drills, a major issue as far as functionality
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

haha, I know I need to get out more. Do you use it in your school?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I've never seen 'Push' used as a technique outside of a few Chinese arts.
    Sumo.

I hear it's from Japan.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    pushing is most certainly a fight ender.
    You could push them off the subway platform, push them into traffic, push them down an elevator shaft, down a stairwell, off a building, into a vat of boiling tripe, into the gaping jaws of crocodile infested waters, over a cliff into the chasm of the feiry pits of h3ll, all sorts of nasty, nasty things. You simply have to lose that "sportfighting mindset"

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
    Sumo.

I hear it's from Japan.
    Best answer possible. Thread over.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Bloody Oath! Push is a major technique. Getting into the short range goodies.

Dumog uses pushes, often using the shoulder or upper arm as the leverage/seam point.

muay thai pushes to make space. boxers shoulder, which can push.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter