Thread: Dumb question

Dumb question

Bear with me, as I am not a Wing TsCHun guy, although I have trained alongside and sparred with different Wing Chun stylists...

When you punch, are you really supposed to lock the elbows? I've seen many do this and even a training tape where this was advocated....
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

mas judt

Not an uncommon lack of differentiation IMO FWIW. For developing the punch it goes all the
    way-without snapping elbows off the line. In application the elbows are bent... positioning and distance determines the details.

joy chaudhuri

I believe extending the arms completely dammages the elbows

Well, that's my thought too. One guy was hyper-extending - he thought this created 'power'. I tried not to chuckle - as there was NOTHING but arm in his punch. I could not believe this was correct.
    www.kungnation.com

Some do, some don't.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Well, I just hope the guys I fight do....
    www.kungnation.com

The arm is weakest when fully extended. Also it does injure the elbow when it is fully extended, as this does tend to hyper extend the arm. This is why you jerk the arm to full extension for a breaking blow. When I punch I will not fully extend, but will still have quite a bit of curve to the arm.
    I am not quite sure what you are saying when you say locking the elbow. It doesn't sound like you could pack in much force behind it.

Would you kick when your knee/leg was fully extended? Of course not. You shouldn't punch that way either.
    I stand on the Mesa and look down at the vastness of my world and i realize how truly small you all are in it. This has been my greatest enlightenment. None of you are important, and you will never truly be free individuals until you surrender to my instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Being the idiot I am...

Fully extended <> Hyper extended... One is straight the other is not..

The tendons--and elasticity thereof help with the snap and retraction of the punch..

For punching no involvement of the bicep is used--the arm should be loose and relaxed.. The analogy that we used to use is that the punch is like a Rock and a String...
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

In the Leung Ting / Kernspsecht / Boztepe lineage we like to think of the elbow issue as a momentary lock out for the purposes of maximizing the whip-like effect that is 'possible' in the punch (depending on range to target).

Since '95 i've never had any problems with the elbow or had a chin-na / aikido person seize my 'locked' arm.

Obviously you can't jump in and perform 1,000 fully locked punches from day 1. Also training out of context is a free ticket to injury.

The momentary lock out also demonstrates the architectural strength of the Wing Chun wedge. But no one sits there locked out. There's your yin / yang...as soon as the lock out happens its gone as you relax, withdraw and replace that arm with a fresh one all in the blink of an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    Bear with me, as I am not a Wing TsCHun guy, although I have trained alongside and sparred with different Wing Chun stylists...

When you punch, are you really supposed to lock the elbows? I've seen many do this and even a training tape where this was advocated....
    to add to the others,

I feel you don't lock the elbow. I think locking implies maximizing the range of motion which can cause some ill effects to the joints. But I do think there is a place in most wing chun lineages to extend the arm straight out while punching. As with many thing, the difference is subtle. I think the key idea is to be able to transfer your force out through your arm (as opposed to the arm being the force). A straight arm can help with this.