Thread: First Class today

First Class today

I had my first martial arts class ever today. I'm studying jow ga kung fu from Maurice Gatdula www.typhoonma.com
    my hands hurt from hitting a large wooden post out back. I'm can't wait till i can start sparing. The first few months sifu said will be mostly conditioning, training iron palm, and learning how to throw and land basic punches and kicks before I actually get any sparing action. but i'm excited.

Mike

P.S. thanks to all who helped me find schools a few weeks ago i think this one is exactly what i was looking for.

Training iron palm in the first few months without any prior martial arts experience?

That sounds a bit strange to me.

Congrats. Treat the iron palm carefully, but you only live once.

(and if you arnt living with indestructible fists of doom, can you truly be said to be living at all?)

Training iron palm in the first few months without any prior martial arts experience?

That sounds a bit strange to me.

Reply]
    Iron hand can be started at any point in the training. I personally favor starting it sooner, than later so by the time a student can hit hard enough to hurt them selves, they have the protection of an Iron hand already. It's really a first day training exercises. Those that wait do so because somewhere in the line it was decided that it's a good idea to hold it back and use it as a dangling carrot for student retention reasons.

strength and conditioning is required immediately with any martial study.

everything else is built upon that foundation.

if you start from the other end, your style will be weak with poor foundation.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yeah, that whole "Iron Palm is for intermediate/advanced students only" is totally bogus. If you are taught properly, and supervised the first few times you do it so that you are not hurting yourself serverely, this can only help you in the long run.

Looks like that school teaches escrima too. That in itself is iron palm training. Getting your fingers wacked with rattan sticks on two man drills is far worse than any iron palm traiining I've done so far.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    lol, I wasn't expecting this from a page titled "10 reasons to join"

If you want your kid to stop talking back, spank him on the butt.
    love it!!!!

http://www.typhoonma.com/reasons/
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations. Stick with it.

I No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com