Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please sign a petition for working out in public parks.

Please sign a petition for working out in public parks.

Hi Guys,

It seems that many parks in the united states don't allow adults to workout using the park equipment. There is a move now to start training bodyweight, using the simple equipment such as pull ups and monkey bars available in city parks. Most parks say that an adult must have a child with him to enter a park. In many cases park workers and cops harrass individuals who calmly enjoy their fitness in the park environment.

There is a petition make to the US government, please sigh it and support the cause for gym free training anywhere.

http://www.petitiononline.com/bwc123/petition.html

Thank you for your support.

Not sure what good an online petition will do, but /signed.

Signed as well, best of luck
    Mark

This has gotta be a scam! How many of you have ever heard of banning adults from parks unless accompanied by a child in ANY city?? Goto any park in a major city during the lunch hour and you`ll find it crawling with adults enjoying the facilities. I`d say 1/2 of my workouts are done in parks (in 5 countries on 3 continents), I`ve travelled all over the US and never been hassled once for working out in a park.
    Smells awfully fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen-frozen View Post
    This has gotta be a scam! How many of you have ever heard of banning adults from parks unless accompanied by a child in ANY city?? Goto any park in a major city during the lunch hour and you`ll find it crawling with adults enjoying the facilities. I`d say 1/2 of my workouts are done in parks (in 5 countries on 3 continents), I`ve travelled all over the US and never been hassled once for working out in a park.
    Smells awfully fishy.

I think from the wording of the petition, they only mean childrens' playgrounds, not any and all parks.

Still, I have never been asked to leave such a park. Maybe I don't look suspicious enough...

Never had any problem either. Just don't take up some kid's playground, most parks are big enough to manage that much.

?????????

Sorry IMO this is just ridiculous. I've never seen a sign on any "Public" park discriminating against who may enter. The fact that they are public parks owned and operated by local governments ensures that they can not do this. If they have signs up stating that they can't enter w/out child - he should have a picture of it and then go right to federal court because unless it's a "private" facility they can't dictate who enters.

What if I lost a child and I used to frequent that park often and I wanted to go there for the memories and to watch other children because it brings me some comfort. Now that my child is dead I can't enter the park. NONSENSE.

Now if the person being asked to leave is a little shaddy and tends to work out harder when those little boys/girls are around them then I can see how they are being asked to leave. Otherwise as long as they aren't harrassing or interfering with the activities that the park was made for (i.e. children) then they can't be asked to leave.

This smells of the usual "OMG I can't believe it and you should be angry with your government..." propoganda.

IMO anyway.
    "To know you don't know is best.
    Not to know you don't know is a flaw.
    Therefore, the Sage's not being flawed
    Stems from his recognizing a flaw as a flaw.
    Therefore, he is flawless."

Quote Originally Posted by chaiwai View Post
    Hi Guys,

It seems that many parks in the united states don't allow adults to workout using the park equipment. There is a move now to start training bodyweight, using the simple equipment such as pull ups and monkey bars available in city parks. Most parks say that an adult must have a child with him to enter a park. In many cases park workers and cops harrass individuals who calmly enjoy their fitness in the park environment.

There is a petition make to the US government, please sigh it and support the cause for gym free training anywhere.

http://www.petitiononline.com/bwc123/petition.html

Thank you for your support.
    You know, looking at this petition I don't see anything that says which specific law it is addressing. Chaiwai, can you send us a reference to whatever it is that you are asking us to protest?

Thanks,
    -b

Quote Originally Posted by boshea View Post
    I think from the wording of the petition, they only mean childrens' playgrounds, not any and all parks.

Still, I have never been asked to leave such a park. Maybe I don't look suspicious enough...
    "Who recognizes his limitations is healthy;
    Who ignores his limitations is sick.
    The sage recognizes this sickness as a limitation.
    And so becomes immune."

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    "Who recognizes his limitations is healthy;
    Who ignores his limitations is sick.
    The sage recognizes this sickness as a limitation.
    And so becomes immune."

NJM, was that directed towards me?

Wise words, but what does that have to do with what you quoted me as saying?

I don't see why full grown adults would use children's playground equipment in the first place. Honestly, those things were built for children to play on, not for adults to work out on.
    "There is a point in every person's life when they choose to see through their own eyes" -Daniel09

"It is one thing to get over each others differences. It is something else entirely to think you can stop fighting over differences simply by avoiding them entirely" -Daniel09

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel09 View Post
    I don't see why full grown adults would use children's playground equipment in the first place. Honestly, those things were built for children to play on, not for adults to work out on.
    I have to agree. I also wonder why adults would want to hit a baseball at a highschool ball field. It was designed for teenagers, obviously.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Quote Originally Posted by boshea View Post
    NJM, was that directed towards me?

Wise words, but what does that have to do with what you quoted me as saying?
    Nothing, I just noticed the variant translation in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel09 View Post
    My kids and I play "armys" on the playground at thier school all the time. I usually end up being the "monkey bar monster" or the "lava thing." Very good work-out for all involved.

And I have seen many adults use the playground on week-ends and evenings after the kiddies have gone home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    Nothing, I just noticed the variant translation in your signature.
    I have a signature?

I think you've got the wrong guy!

*EDIT*: Looks like you are talking about djcaldwell's sig.
    Last edited by boshea; 08-07-2007 at 11:16 AM.