Thread: When Smart People Do Dumb Things

When Smart People Do Dumb Things

It is a interesting article in relationship to mental frameworks in the context of survival and training. Some may find it interesting when viewed from a self defense training perspective.

An example would be of the cop who trains handgun disarms in a certain way and yet when he actually uses the disarm for real in the street, he hands the gun right back to the criminal after he disarms it....because that is how he was mentally conditioned to do it in class.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ad...lls/index.html
    Last edited by Black Jack II; 08-06-2007 at 01:55 PM.

thats some pretty interesting reading there.

thanks for the link
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Does anyone remember the cop who shot himself in the foot while giving a speech on handgun safety/training? ....that was pretty dumb as well.

Don`t laugh, it happens. When I was in high school the police in the next town were delivering a lecture on gun safety and one of the cops fatally shot his partner in front of the whole school.

All in all it`s been my sad experiance that the one group that has the least grasp on gun safety are the police. And oddly enough they`re the only ones who are required to carry them daily and prove thier comptence with them annually.
    Last edited by Chosen-frozen; 08-06-2007 at 07:33 PM.

Nice article.
    Meanwhile, I'll be looking for God in this box of Cheerios - Crushing Fist

You should post this in the sticky thread on the reality/street fighting forum. Samurai Jack would like that!
    Bless you

Oppenheimer. A shining example of smart person who has done tragically dumb things.
    Kung Fu is good for you.