Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anime Help

Anime Help

Suggestions on the best ones to get, anyone?

In the mode of Ninja scroll and such.

Please and thank you.

I got one for you.

This is probably one of the most powerful animes out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTZ2xpQwpA

Fist of the North Star

Trigun series

M. D. Geist (super bad ass)

Battle Angel

Kenshin (Hitokiri Botosai)

Ghost in the Shell #1 & 2

Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou (ninja extreme)

Ninja Resurection (i think wannabe sequel to Ninja Scroll, not staring Jubei)

well here is a few. mind you im a bit more old school so most of these are a bit older dated.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Why don't you try watching something that makes you think, instead of simply inducing type 2 mental scenarios?

If watching anime doesnt make you think....you may not be an artist.

Personally I enjoy the animation, you can see tricks and tips that artists used to achieve desired effects in their art.

Yet not everyone is interested in the same things.

NOTE: I would have added Akira, though not much ninja esq. battle stuff in that one. But its a classic. A must see for anyone truly interested in Anime. Set some serious standards for modern japanese animation.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    If watching anime doesnt make you think....you may not be an artist.

I would argue that it is those who seek to stagnate through the worlds of others instead of grow through them that lack the spirit of artistic creation.

lol

that may be your view.

personally, as a multi medium artist, i draw technique and actually add to my own artistic technical skill any time i see ANYTHING that i cannot do.

Though generally most artists realize that this happens. when you see a painting, or perhaps a wonderful ink cross sketch piece, you will, as an artist, notice technique and style. these kinds of things will subconciously be assimilated when you least expect it through your own artistic displays.

of course this is something that my experience has taught me over many years of being an artist...

art, like anything else, is in a constant state of evolution...the sources we take in visual, or through study will influence your current and the coming generations artistic development
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

besides why are you on the internet forum debating with an artist as to how he draws what from where?

shouldnt you be thinking somewhere?
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

lol

that may be your view.

personally, as a multi medium artist, i draw technique and actually add to my own artistic technical skill any time i see ANYTHING that i cannot do.

Though generally most artists realize that this happens. when you see a painting, or perhaps a wonderful ink cross sketch piece, you will, as an artist, notice technique and style. these kinds of things will subconciously be assimilated when you least expect it through your own artistic displays.

of course this is something that my experience has taught me over many years of being an artist...

art, like anything else, is in a constant state of evolution...the sources we take in visual, or through study will influence your current and the coming generations artistic development
    You misunderstood me. I was not speaking of the art itself, the talent of creating beautiful images on various media. I am not speaking of artistic stagnation, I am not saying that you take the artistic techniques used in the art and making it your own is a problem. I am talking about a much greater canvas, and a much greater problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    You misunderstood me. I was not speaking of the art itself, the talent of creating beautiful images on various media. I am not speaking of artistic stagnation, I am not saying that you take the artistic techniques used in the art and making it your own is a problem. I am talking about a much greater canvas, and a much greater problem.
    Ah, I see what you're saying then.

Well I suppose in response to that.....well....to each their own I suppose.

Everyone needs a break from the stress sometimes. Cartoons are better than many other choices we could make to escape reality and recieve entertainment.

Sex, Drugs, Rock N' Roll, so to speak.

Too much study CAN be a bad thing as well. Nothing to the extreme I suppose.

Plus, I like cartoons.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

For the most violent, realistic fight scenes, you gotta check out Dame Oyaji

Heavy stuff, man.

When I was a wee one, I wasn't really into action anime series, though a couple have really changed the way I look at the genre.

My current favorite is History's Strongest Disciple: Kenichi (Shijou Saikyou No Deshi Kenichi) Unlike many series "about" martial arts, this series shows its main character training in actual styles to go from being a wimp to, well the title says it all.

Kekkaishi is pretty sweet as well Really cool supernatural stuff, and cg effects that don't look out of place with animation.

Unfortunately they have yet to be released in the US.

As for stuff that you can actually purchase-
    Hajime no Ippo (released as Fighting Spirit in America) is an awesome series about boxing. It can be somewhat one-note in nature at times, but its formula is pretty addictive. It could just as well be called Punch Out! The Anime (this series is on netflix, if you're a subscriber you might want to try it out.)

For your samurai fix, Tsukikage Ran is a fun romp through a highly fictionalized medieval Japan. The opening credits alone will tell you whether you'll like this series or not.

That's really it for martial artsy stuff, though Ranma 1/2 is pretty good too. For Comedy, Azumanga Daioh is still tops. And if you like the occasional Romantic Comedy, Maison Ikkoku is a treat.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Fist of the North Star

Trigun series

M. D. Geist (super bad ass)

Battle Angel

Kenshin (Hitokiri Botosai)

Ghost in the Shell #1 & 2

Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou (ninja extreme)

Ninja Resurection (i think wannabe sequel to Ninja Scroll, not staring Jubei)

well here is a few. mind you im a bit more old school so most of these are a bit older dated.
    Fist I got.
    Will look into those you mentioned, Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    For the most violent, realistic fight scenes, you gotta check out Dame Oyaji

Heavy stuff, man.
    Thanks, never heard of it, but will look into it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTravesty View Post
    When I was a wee one, I wasn't really into action anime series, though a couple have really changed the way I look at the genre.

My current favorite is History's Strongest Disciple: Kenichi (Shijou Saikyou No Deshi Kenichi) Unlike many series "about" martial arts, this series shows its main character training in actual styles to go from being a wimp to, well the title says it all.

Kekkaishi is pretty sweet as well Really cool supernatural stuff, and cg effects that don't look out of place with animation.

Unfortunately they have yet to be released in the US.

As for stuff that you can actually purchase-
    Hajime no Ippo (released as Fighting Spirit in America) is an awesome series about boxing. It can be somewhat one-note in nature at times, but its formula is pretty addictive. It could just as well be called Punch Out! The Anime (this series is on netflix, if you're a subscriber you might want to try it out.)

For your samurai fix, Tsukikage Ran is a fun romp through a highly fictionalized medieval Japan. The opening credits alone will tell you whether you'll like this series or not.

That's really it for martial artsy stuff, though Ranma 1/2 is pretty good too. For Comedy, Azumanga Daioh is still tops. And if you like the occasional Romantic Comedy, Maison Ikkoku is a treat.
    I will look into Kenichi, sounds very interesting.
    Thanks.