Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self Teaching Wing Chun..

Self Teaching Wing Chun..

Since there are no Wing Chun schools with in 60 miles of where I live I am trying to learn through books,dvds and some help from freinds. Does anybody have some advice that will help me progress??

Thank You

if at all possible.

while you are trying to learn on your own. it would be helpful if you could possibly travel (every now and then) to that school 60 miles away.

explain your situation and hopefully you can get some tuning in every now and then from that school.

at least this way you can learn some of the aspects, and principles that can be hard to transmit without direct physical contact.

just a thought

good luck with your studies.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

My advice

Look for a good teacher of another style.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    rofl...ya thats probably the BEST advice.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Thanks PangQuan

Snake77,
    I wouldn't recommend trying to learn martial arts without a teacher. A good teacher doesn't just show you a bunch of drills and forms. He teaches you those forms and drills. You get corrected. There are subtleties that need to be felt in order to be learned. Without this, you just have a collection of movements without substance. You can also hurt yourself.
    Last edited by The Xia; 08-07-2007 at 02:59 PM.

a book or video cant correct your forms, posture, ect...you need someone with some knowledge to help correct the little mistakes all beginners make or your just going to practice wrong.
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"

It's impossible to gauge the subtext of this statement, but it's actually not bad advice if there is a good school of another style close by.

IMHO there is a fair amount of commonality between martial arts, so learning one will often assist in learning another more quickly when circumstances change. Some will throw up their hands in horror at such a notion, but IMO they are wrong.

Other advice? Move.

It would be very difficult to become proficient in WC without a qualified teacher. Without a training partner, it would be impossible.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    It's impossible to gauge the subtext of this statement, but it's actually not bad advice if there is a good school of another style close by.
    I would give that advice to anybody who doesn't have a teacher of his preferred style available to him.
    Last edited by The Xia; 08-07-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    It would be very difficult to become proficient in WC without a qualified teacher. Without a training partner, it would be impossible.

That's the key, right there.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post

I've been getting tai Chi and Xingyi instruction. This is the ONLY kung fu school in my city so I frequent it as much as possible. However,I do a lot of "side study and training". I'll look for Wing Chun instruction,but in the meantime I will study and practice Wing Chun with the available books and videos.

Thank You all for your comments and advice.

There are two guys at my school who live an hour and a half away and only come to the Saturday classes. They're actually pretty good but they've been at it for awhile. They split the gas, take turns driving and practice together throughout the week.

If you really want to learn WC it may be worth your while to go once a week if possible. Find a friend who's interested too. It's probably a slow process, but it seems to be working for the two I mentioned.

Oh, and don't sign a contract if the school has one just in case you decide it's not working out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake77 View Post
    Since there are no Wing Chun schools with in 60 miles of where I live I am trying to learn through books,dvds and some help from freinds. Does anybody have some advice that will help me progress??

Thank You

Cant learn WCK via books, dvds and some help from friends.

one needs atleast a solid year of training before one could starts making sense out of books and dvds. and even then it is still "speculation" stuffs.

So dont kidding ourself.

In the old time it takes six months to learn an equal shoulder stance with 1 hours daily practice...

See, it is not the posture the move. it is what is it inside one that is what count. and those
    stuffs doesnt come easy or cheap.

if you have the will and discipline to learn it doesnt matter the school is in MARS. one just goes there.

Snake 77,

I also tried leaning WC from books and videos before I had a chance to attend a school, and let me tell ya, it did little good.

I also studied XingYi from books and vids, and currently also take Tai Chi. So if your looking for a good substitute for WC that's probely on of the best routes IMO.

Also, have you looked into private lessons with the sifu at the 60 mile away school. If your were only to attend once a month/ week, what ever, you'd probly get the most out of it that way.

You might want to visit the Wing Chun school just to check out the quality. Maybe you can arrange it where you can train there one or two times per week.

I drive 40 miles (each way) three to four times per week to train with my sifu which is about 1.5 to sometimes 2 hour rush hour commute and I LOVE IT!!

The commute is well worth it because I am getting absolutely top notch training that I wouldnt trade for anything else.

One of my bros, Tommy Galloway is teaching in Indiania, about 2hrs south of Indianapolis. He hasn't listed classes on his site yet, but he's there. Tommy also has been doing some Thai boxing with Master Toddy, BJJ w/ Caique (I think) and shuai jiao with David Lin, and got some ring time at a decent boxing gym. His students get good basics and are treated well. He's one of my closest friends, and I recommend him highly. His escrima is pretty tight, too.

<http://southernboxingalliance.com/>

Andrew