Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raymond Wong's Tournament in DC

Raymond Wong's Tournament in DC

Any of you going to his tournament this weekend? I think they changed the name of it this year and i know they moved it to georgetown. www.wongpeople.com

SCHEDULE of EVENTS

8:30 AM Doors Open Competitor Registration=$70 Spectators=$15 Only Cash Accepted

10 AM Sparring Competition, Tai Chi/ Internal styles Commence

12 noon National Anthem, guest speakers, introduce all schools(schools are urged to bring their banner /flag)

1 PM Continuation of competition Forms, Tai Chi, Wing Chun, Weapons, Two person set, Special Olympian Forms & Weapons competition.

5 PM FINISH
    HAH....5PM finish. Now that is hilarious. I'd be willing to put money down it ends around 7-8PM

>No crying, pouting, or complaining if the judges do not score in your favor. This is not a carnival or a sports bar; this is a not a sports event this is a competition of art and self expression. The Kung Fu persons actions/reactions indicates how they were taught by their instuctors and raised by their parents. So please behave and do not publicly embarrass your school and family at this high profile event.
    Oh boy. I am sure this rule was put in play cause it happened in the past. I only hope it is during kids sparring.

I would love to go, but I am short on cash right now. My contract assignment just ended. So my silly ass is unemployed.
    Last edited by xcakid; 07-30-2007 at 11:44 AM.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Do you have to practice Kung Fu to participate in sparring?

you would have to contact them about that but if i were to venture a guess i would say yes. i believe it is strictly tcma at this tournament.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    one of the biggest issues in TCMA is the fact that many school don't fight with their Kung-Fu. The only thing that looks like Kung-Fu is their t-shirts.
    So..if you want to go as a bad example....

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    RULES FOR SPARRING COMPETITION

>Safety Gear Must Be Worn- Head Gear, Hand Gear(No FingerNails exposed), Foot Gear, Mouth Piece, Groin Cup(usually for males)

>Legal striking areas are front and sides or the body(abdomen) and the padded areas of the Headgear; NO Knockouts

>NO CONTACT to front of face, spine, back of head, knees, groin, neck or throat

No jabs???????

>Grappling/ grabbing, is allowed for 10 second intervals only. NO BODY SLAMS!

>When opponent is standing on one leg, that leg is NOT allowed to be kicked of swept

?????? that's the best time to sweep the leg

>Contact is continuous and delievered with LIGHT to MEDIUM force.

>Each round will be timed one minute ; the best 2 out of three rounds will determine the winner

>Any of the judges or ring managers will call "BREAK" when competitors go out of the ring, when an interval of 8 continuous strikes have been exchanged between the 2 competitors or for any reason that requires this action.

>Rules are subject to change at anytime, so be ready for everything.

ok, with all due respect to Sifu Wong....WTF? rules subject to change? that's the number one thing I've hated about about the tournaments I've gone to around here is the rules aren't played the way they are written...sometimes to a great degree.

>No crying, pouting, or complaining if the judges do not score in your favor. This is not a carnival or a sports bar; this is a not a sports event this is a competition of art and self expression. The Kung Fu persons actions/reactions indicates how they were taught by their instuctors and raised by their parents. So please behave and do not publicly embarrass your school and family at this high profile event.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Raymond Wong and his people are a good lot, known them for years

but with all due respect, I've seen these "point sparring" things, and they are always a lot more contact than advertised, yet still not San Shou/San Da.... it then becomes a matter often of who the judge is in the ring and who you are/who you know/ and who you are affiliatd with

people should just do full contact fighting, point sparring is like ..... well, you figure it out
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

part of my beef is that very thing: they (not necessarily Wong) let the contact go harder than described in the rules and then make seemingly arbitrary decisions about what then becomes too hard.

the last event we went to down here one of my guys was having a good fight with this guy and they kept calling him on supposed 'kidney' shots that weren't...just looping shots to the body that were a little past the midline but...and the dude quit because he was frustrated by the judging.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

yeah, you can jab-but focus your shots to the forehead on the headgear. It's not great, but it's an adjustment you will need to make.
    Contact definately has a tendancy to escalate, but there is a huge difference between that and malicious contact-when the person shows an obvious disregard for the opponent's safety and the agreed rules. You can spot intent a mile away. If you cannnot, then you have no business judging, or teaching, or even training in Martial Arts for that matter.
    I know it's not full contact, but within the confines of the game, it is definately possible to play, play hard, and play safe.

It is not a streetfight, it is not a championship full contact match. It's a game.
    -albiet a rough game, but a game nonetheless, and everybody knows this. You know this going in, so deal with it as such. It's simple, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    yeah, you can jab-but focus your shots to the forehead on the headgear. It's not great, but it's an adjustment you will need to make.

sorry, don't agree. put on heavier gloves. put on a cage.

Contact definately has a tendancy to escalate, but there is a huge difference between that and malicious contact-when the person shows an obvious disregard for the opponent's safety and the agreed rules.

not my point. if the rules state a certain contact, and give an example of that such as 'don't hit the head hard enough to move it more than an inch or hit the body hard enough to move the opponent back more than 3 inches' (which Wong's doesn't but I've seen other's do) then the first time someone hit's someone harder than that they are warned until they are DQ'd.

what I'm *****ing about is when there is a specified ruleset that isn't followed, or followed in one ring one way and another ring another way.

You can spot intent a mile away. If you cannnot, then you have no business judging, or teaching, or even training in Martial Arts for that matter.

imo, if you haven't gone through some actual training to be certified as a judge then you shouldn't be judging. the real problem at cma events is all the teachers who are judging. even if you are a good teacher you may not be a good judge; just like so many other things we talk about here.

I know it's not full contact, but within the confines of the game, it is definately possible to play, play hard, and play safe.

It is not a streetfight, it is not a championship full contact match. It's a game.
    -albiet a rough game, but a game nonetheless, and everybody knows this. You know this going in, so deal with it as such. It's simple, isn't it?
    ok, but you are still missing my point...if it's a game then all the more reason for the rules not to be variable, right?

ftr, i'm not raggin on Wong's event in particular.

yeah, I don't really understand that part either.
    I think it may be Wong-Sifu's sense of humor.
    Sometimes, he has a very dry wit.
    (which I find funny-even when it's directed at me)

that may be, I've not been around him enough to get too much of a glimpse into his personality.

rules for sparring in a tournament should be simple and firm so that those training for them can train for them and not get 'surprised'. I've heard that excuse before when a ref didn't follow the rules: "well, if you're a real fighter then you should be ready for anything" that's just ****ing horse****. as you say it's a 'game' unless it's full contact w/ knockout. and that's fine. but as you say, 'everyone' knows it's a game but everyone has to play by the same rules; most especially the judges and ref's.

I've heard that excuse before when a ref didn't follow the rules: "well, if you're a real fighter then you should be ready for anything" that's just ****ing horse****. as you say it's a 'game' unless it's full contact w/ knockout. and that's fine. but as you say, 'everyone' knows it's a game but everyone has to play by the same rules; most especially the judges and ref's.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. Man, you must've been in alot of NY tournaments. I know several "judges" who pull that crap alla time. Too many "Sifus" live vicariously through their students. Frankly, I wonder if they actually care about their own students. My guys play hard, but I don't want them going out and getting hurt, or hurting others just to prove to everyone that they're (I'm) tough. People want to get up on Monday morning and go to work, or school. It's not worth it for a two-dollar medal.
    Tournaments are supposed to be fun. You get to go out there, show your stuff, meet friends, see other schools, other styles, and have a good experience. It should help boost school morale and pride. But sometimes we have spoiled children, sour grapes, soccer moms, and egos. But that is not the average.
    I love tournaments. I have made alot of friends, and seen some great competitors.
    I always have a great time at Wong's. For us, getting out, going to DC, seeing the sites, having a fun road trip is all part of the fun. We also enjoy the Wong Fei-Hung tournament run by Yee's Hung-Ga. Next year, I hope to check out the Five Tigers and the Kuoshu tournament,which I hear is run very well.

TT you have the right attitude toward the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post

I hear ya. Man, you must've been in alot of NY tournaments. I know several "judges" who pull that crap alla time.

no, just the ones in NC. i'm sorta glad to see it's not just these guys down here but at the same time sad to see that silliness is pervasive.

Too many "Sifus" live vicariously through their students. Frankly, I wonder if they actually care about their own students.

agreed.

My guys play hard, but I don't want them going out and getting hurt, or hurting others just to prove to everyone that they're (I'm) tough. People want to get up on Monday morning and go to work, or school. It's not worth it for a two-dollar medal.

agreed. however, I've seen more injuries during light contact than full contact.

Tournaments are supposed to be fun. You get to go out there, show your stuff, meet friends, see other schools, other styles, and have a good experience. It should help boost school morale and pride. But sometimes we have spoiled children, sour grapes, soccer moms, and egos. But that is not the average.

I love tournaments. I have made alot of friends, and seen some great competitors.
    I always have a great time at Wong's. For us, getting out, going to DC, seeing the sites, having a fun road trip is all part of the fun. We also enjoy the Wong Fei-Hung tournament run by Yee's Hung-Ga. Next year, I hope to check out the Five Tigers and the Kuoshu tournament,which I hear is run very well.
    I love tournaments, and competing, as well. I just can't stand the inconsistent judging and rules management that I have yet to see an exception to.