Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Remake Enter the Dragon???say it aint so scooby!

Mickey is somewhat missing the point in that Lee's primary motivation is not one but two personal agendas. Han is a murdering, drug dealing slaver, so it's pretty hard to paint him as a victim. I think Mickey is yanking our chains.
    OK, flame retardant suit on, Enter the Dragon is a BAD MOVIE. The plot is weak, the direction is terrible, the dialogue is attrocious, only half a dozen people in the entire film can fight. I need to be drunk and nostalgic to even watch it these days, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE as an introduction to martial arts cinema. The entire film is carried by Lee, his back injury must have been really playing up.
    However, the basic concept does have some merit, and as such a reinvisioning could be good. This looks like it will be FAR from a straight remake, so I think we should wait and see, it could have some promise.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Ben Gash,

The Lee character still did not know who he was working for even though the character asked, "Who are 'We'?." He never got an answer. He got bamboozled.

Do you really think that the Han character would have been the only person on the planet doing that stuff at that time?

mickey

Why do you say he was bamboozled? Maybe he just didn't care, just so long as they assisted him in his personal goals.
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    Mickey is somewhat missing the point in that Lee's primary motivation is not one but two personal agendas. Han is a murdering, drug dealing slaver, so it's pretty hard to paint him as a victim. I think Mickey is yanking our chains.
    OK, flame retardant suit on, Enter the Dragon is a BAD MOVIE. The plot is weak, the direction is terrible, the dialogue is attrocious, only half a dozen people in the entire film can fight. I need to be drunk and nostalgic to even watch it these days, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE as an introduction to martial arts cinema. The entire film is carried by Lee, his back injury must have been really playing up.
    However, the basic concept does have some merit, and as such a reinvisioning could be good. This looks like it will be FAR from a straight remake, so I think we should wait and see, it could have some promise.
    I agree with you 100% about Enter The Dragon (except for the drunk part as I don't drink). Do you have an extra suit for me to put on?
    Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar; 08-31-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Ben Gash,

I can accept that the character did not care. It does not make the character a hero. You know, there were no heroes in the movie at all, kinda like The Wild Bunch.

mickey

awaken

Elsewhere, they're calling it Awaken the Dragon. I may merge these threads soon...
    Warners offers Lee role to Rain
    Korean singer-actor still mulling remake of 'Enter the Dragon'
    By Park Soo-mee

Aug 6, 2009, 07:30 AM ET
    SEOUL -- South Korean pop singer-actor Rain was offered by the lead role in the Warner Bros. remake of Bruce Lee’s kung-fu flick “Enter the Dragon,” J Tune Entertainment, Rain’s agency, confirmed Thursday.

J Tune, however, added that Rain hasn’t made a decision, and refused to discuss details.

The 27-year old actor stars as an assassin in the Wachowski Brothers' upcoming “Ninja Assassin” set for release in November.

“Enter the Dragon,” which is considered one of Bruce Lee’s most popular films in the West, and the last before his death, delves into a Shaolin monk (Lee) who is assigned to expose illegal activities on an island. For the film's contemporary take, the company has hired the writer Kirk Sutter (also the co-producer for "The Shield").

J Tune Entertainment said only that Rain is currently preparing for his next Asian concert tour later this year.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Enter the Dragon re-make

You know the thing with re-makes or "homage" films is it reinforces that there is nothing new in the world. Id be interested in seeing it even if the "star" is the Korean action guy Rain the other thing that might make the movie suck out loud is if some crap hip-hop or rap soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
    You know the thing with re-makes or "homage" films is it reinforces that there is nothing new in the world. Id be interested in seeing it even if the "star" is the Korean action guy Rain the other thing that might make the movie suck out loud is if some crap hip-hop or rap soundtrack.
    wait let me guess you would prefer some corny ass linkin park song???? considering that hip hop and kung fu go so well together i dont think a couple of rza beats on the soundtrack would hurt it in the least.

as for remake, come this storyline has been rehashed so many times, im interested to see how its going to be done different. rain as the shaolin monk is corny, wouldnt cast him at all. not saying he would suck just saying when i look at him i dont see rogue shaolin, colin chou would be a much better choice for that role. as for the fbi agent, i bet they're going to get jason statham, but i would go with luke goss, the guy has the chops and the skills. even thou i havent seen him act yet, cung le would also be a good choice for the monk.

ya i like cung le as a choice. the monk has to have the air of a total ass kicker.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    I'm not sure that ETD is a bad movie. It's simply a bit dated, though I do agree that Lee carried the film, and without him there is no ETD. At all. Lots of (esp. younger) people take it for granted that martial arts films were always a common part of American (or international) cinema. It's hard for many people to imagine just how unique and special it was to so many non-Chinese audiences when it came out. There were NO starring vehicles for Asians or Asian-Americans in U.S. movies at the time, yet Lee managed to get his name billed first (which Warner Bros originally was going to give John Saxon top billing). Ever since ETD, director Robert Clouse has been mostly trying to recapture the type of success he experienced with ETD, even though it was Lee's presence which was responsible for its success.

Sure, it's a ripoff of Dr. No. The Americanized view of 'Chinese' music by Sterling Silliphant always sounded to me way too much like the 'Asian' music in some episodes of the old 1960s Johnny Quest cartoon series. And compared to Lee's 2nd and 3rd MA movies, IMO the action of the fights in ETD is poorly shot, over-emphasizing facial close-ups while much of the action is cut off/lost off-screen. All that said, it was still a LOT of fun when it was new, and still is for many. But since then, a lot of better MA movies have come out. And lots of better action/cop movies than Dirty Harry have come out since that time, too.

If a remake is not a pure remake, then it should not be labeled as such. There really isn't a whole lot of originality in the genre, anyway.

Dirty Harry still holds it's own as a movie though, and indeed still has the power to shock. While it is clearly of it's time, it still has obvious merit.
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Slightly OT

More in the wake of Wondercon. There's vid. Click the link.
    Jim Kelly on "Enter The Dragon", Bruce Lee, discrimination - WonderCon SF

Jim Kelly is an American and Worldwide Martial Arts Star, who gained fame starring as "Williams" in Enter The Dragon with the legendary Bruce Lee. Enter The Dragon was the first American produced martial arts film. Released August 19th, 1973, Enter The Dragon quickly raised Bruce Lee to the level of cult figure. In 2004, Enter The Dragon was judged to be culturally significant, and selected for preservation in The National Film Registry.

Since Enter The Dragon, Jim Kelly himself has become an American icon. He's known for a number of "Blaxploitation" movies including Melinda and Black Belt Jones.

Jim Kelly, at WonderCon SF to meet fans, stopped to talk about what he remembered about Bruce Lee and how society has changed for African Americans and Chinese Americans. Kelly says he met Lee while making the film, but "I was looking for him before that. In 1970, I was looking to train with him, so I went down to Chinatown and I couldn't find his school. But on the set, between shoots, we trained a lot together."

Kelly says that the cast of Enter The Dragon didn't know they were making a cult film; they were just looking to make a "very good film."

What Kelly remembers about Bruce Lee is they both "had similar struggles" being people of color in America. Race relations in the United States have changed so much from the 70s that a whole generation has grown up without an intimate knowledge of the culture then. Kelly says that Bruce Lee had "caught hell" in Hollywood because he was Chinese. "They didn't want him in Hollywood," Kelly said.

Kelly asserts that Kung Fu, the TV show that starred the late David Carradine, was "made for Bruce Lee." That claim is backed by Bruce Lee's widow Linda Lee Cadwell, who in her book Bruce Lee: The Man Only I Knew said Bruce Lee created the concept in 1971 for the series which was then stolen by Warner Bros.

Kelly says the writer of the series Kung Fu took the script to Bruce Lee and Lee wanted to do it. The writer, Kelly explains, went to the major studios, who loved the project and "Hey, everything's good. We just can't have a Chinese guy that starred in an American (film). So we gotta get a white guy and make him look half-Chinese. But we don't want Bruce because he's Chinese."

This part of our discussion was the source of some controversy on YouTube because of the generational lack of education on what is called institutional racism in America, especially during the 1970s and 1980s. The lack of desire to hear a discussion of a racial issue is complicated by the fact that the Warner Bros-studio-related explanations of why Bruce Lee was not selected for Kung Fu are watered down to remove any obvious concern about Bruce Lee as a Chinese American. Thus, we have two views: the Asian and progressive view and the white studio explanation.

Jim Kelly said Bruce Lee went to Hong Kong to get a "break" in the movies.

When asked if society had improved racially since Enter The Dragon, he says things have improved but not near where they should be "Not even close." But he thinks President Obama is the sign of a new period in the World where it has a new image of black men. In fact, Kelly's vote for Obama for President was the first one he ever cast in his life.

Jim Kelly closed our talk by explaining some people though he was dead. Obviously that's not the case. In fact, in 2006 Kelly starred with LeBron James in a Nike Commercial that was ultimately considered "blasphemous" and banned in China called Chamber of Fear. Here it is:

Yes, Jim Kelly's still with us and meeting his fans at conventions around the country. Hopefully, Quentin Tarrentino will find a way to get Jim Kelly into one of his movies.

Stay tuned.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

New 'Enter the Dragon' by Spike Lee?

http://www.thestudioexec.com/spike-l...er-the-dragon/

Those of us that are of a certain age, whether we admit it or not, will have to concede that Enter the Dragon probably plays a role in why we study some Chinese martial art and not something else.

I'm not so sure I like this idea. Spike Lee I suppose is more than talented enough to direct, but who can fill Bruce's shoes on the big screen?

Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Suicide View Post
    http://www.thestudioexec.com/spike-l...er-the-dragon/

Those of us that are of a certain age, whether we admit it or not, will have to concede that Enter the Dragon probably plays a role in why we study some Chinese martial art and not something else.

I'm not so sure I like this idea. Spike Lee I suppose is more than talented enough to direct, but who can fill Bruce's shoes on the big screen?
    I guess I should have read the article. It is a joke and I failed to see it until I read who was going to play who.

Sorry for the mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Suicide View Post

I was definitely NOT influenced by Bruce Lee to study MA, Chinese style or otherwise, and I am within that age group. My reasons for taking up MA were out of an immediate need at the time. I never even saw a Bruce Lee movie until 1979, years after I'd started training. Sure, I'd seen a bit of Green Hornet on TV in the '60s, but I was too young and just thought it was something like the Batman series. When I got into CMA, it was mainly due to my Kenpo teacher's interest and respect for TCMA, as well as CMA books and magazine articles. Although I respect Bruce Lee for what he accomplished, he had zero influence on me in that regard. Besides, I didn't view him as a "pure" TCMAist anyway, and he himself certainly didn't. If any movies helped fuel my interest in CMA at all, they probably starred Chi Kuan-Chun, Fu Sheng, Wang Lung-Wei, Lau Kar-Leung, etc., but even back then, I always knew the difference between kung fu as presented in the movies and kung fu in real life.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-17-2014 at 10:16 AM.